• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Today's mod, a bow cleat finally.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was sick and tired of using a cleat on the side of the boat when anchoring. I'm usually in a river and when I use a side cleat on the bow it's like flying a kite. The current kicks the boat to one side so we're always at an angle. This should fix that. image.jpgimage.jpg

hoppersteven

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will you be able to tie off to that cleat with the ladder folded up or will the ladder have to be deployed?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Works either way. I tried it with the ladder folded In the boat and deployed.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What a great idea! How did you do the install? Any pics of how you drilled? And where you got the cleat? I'm seriously considering this.

EDIT: Actually, not sure this would work on my boat with the anchor hatch down. Do you have pics of yours deployed?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will take more pic tomorrow. I just did this today. There is an opening with the hatch down that leaves enough room for ropes.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Cool, thanks.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Britboater @hoppersteven Here are the pics from today. The area didn't need any more strengthening as it was already over an inch thick there. There is a layer of fiberglass then 3/4" of wood then another layer of fiberglass. I had to go buy longer bolts because of all that.
. Bow Cleat 2.jpg Bow Cleat 3.jpg Bow Cleat.jpg

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great new mod idea!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
GREAT Mod !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many thanks for sharing.
Added to my list.

Best Wishes and Thanks again, Mikey Lulejian - And where we ain't doin' squat for mods until it cools down 10-15 degrees on Lake Oconee, GA

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Britboater well I hoping not. I'm guessing when I use it the rope should be going out the the anchor at a straight angle. The other option would be to deploy the ladder and run the rope over it like it my first pics. I'll find out tomorrow.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you think the rope will chafe or damage the the gel coat @subysti
I was thinking the same thing..... you could always fab up a small rub rail type of thingamabob to mount on the bow or make a cafe guard using some clear poly over the line at that point secured with a zip tie or something. But That would probably only be an issue for extended periods at anchor.

My other concern would be what happens with the line if the boat swings? Is there clearance under the front edge of that hatch to allow the line to go left and right? Can it snag?
And again, if you have a calm anchorage and only deploy from time to time it's of little consequence. :cool:

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great add. I know the rope will go out since I have the anchor tied to the inside eye bolt just in case. Then I always just closed the hatch and used the side cleat which as you said makes the boat go sideways. Is there any reason you didn't place the cleat horizontally across the bow? I would think it would spread the stress more. Just curious.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's really not a good idea to use anything other than the bow eye for holding anchor tension. I always tie off to a cleat as well, but I find it's best to use a nice heavy duty carabiner that you can slip the line into and snap that to the bow eye and tie your tag end of the line off loosely to a cleat.

Danik hook is great for this except you have to hold the release while paying out the line.

I actually prefer to just use a heavy duty carabiner and tie a Constrictor Knot to the carabiner, attach the carabiner to my bow eye and then cleat hitch the tag end of the line loosely on my forward pop-up cleats.

Last edited: