• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242XE vs. 242SE

Chaunceybland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Currently looking at these boats. Does anyone have experience riding or operating both? I know the XE is geared towards wakeboarding and such, but does it ride drive differently than the SE? I know the XE has ballasts, but all of that is foreign to me and this will be my first boat. Any suggestions or can someone point me to a thread? I tried to search but I don't think I used the right keywords!

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They are identical boats for the most part with the following differences that I’m aware of (I’m sure others will chime since I have the XE and not the SE model):
on the XE:
- inclusion of 3 ballast bags and associated controls from the connext screen (not sure if the SE has this but would make sense since it’s software based)
- nozzles are pointed inward but that can be done on any jet boat.
- inclusion of the wake tower boards racks on both sides.
- interior and ext colors
I’m sure I’m forgetting something?

This might be helpful to read:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-2016-yamaha-e-series-options-described-with-lots-of-photos.7255/

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
i dont remember if the SE has the same stereo, either.

The hull, engines, ethrottles are all the same. (So, they ride and drive identical. )

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The SE has one amp, one sub and 6 speakers. I believe the XE has two amps and adds tower speakers and a soundbar.

Chaunceybland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks... Man these things are moving fast. When I find one and call about it, they are sold! Hoping to find something by the end of the week. Willing to travel to get the right one.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have owned both 2017 242 LSE and 242x. I got the 242x after the LSE was lost in a fire. The price was good so we went for the X to replace.

The biggest change for us was the sound system. The sound system in the 2019 LSE looked much better and I think had subwoofer so depends on year.

We don't use the ballasts very often. I think maybe twice.

On the 242x, we lost the sprayer on the back which was nice to wash off sand. I think one of the ballasts on the X takes up the spot where the shower is.

Given the choice and cost differential, I would go for the SE and add on sound and ballasts.

Chaunceybland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, thanks for that info. I talked with a dealer this morning that sold his last SE, but told me he would sale me the last 242X he had for the same price. So, considering it... He said that Yamaha cut production so what dealers have is all they will get.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Where are you located? I saw a 2019 at my local dealer this weekend.

I don't think much difference between 2018, 2019 and 2020. Consider looking for previous year model.

Chaunceybland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm in Memphis, TN. I have found a used 18 SE, a new 19 SE, and the new 20 X. I'm open to any of them. Wife wants the larger bimini, otherwise I would consider the 19 S. I'm waiting on a call back about the 19 SE. They are asking $64,500 the guy with the X told me he could do $72,300 out the door. I have to check back with him to see if he included taxes. No prep or freight with him. And the 18 SE is $57k and I haven't talked with them. The smart part of me says to try to deal for the 18, but the monthly payments aren't far off from a new boat, so that's the problem.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The SE has a shower thing to rinse off. But as @BigAbe75 said, mechanically identical.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm in Memphis, TN. I have found a used 18 SE, a new 19 SE, and the new 20 X. I'm open to any of them. Wife wants the larger bimini, otherwise I would consider the 19 S. I'm waiting on a call back about the 19 SE. They are asking $64,500 the guy with the X told me he could do $72,300 out the door. I have to check back with him to see if he included taxes. No prep or freight with him. And the 18 SE is $57k and I haven't talked with them. The smart part of me says to try to deal for the 18, but the monthly payments aren't far off from a new boat, so that's the problem.
If you are working with dealer vs. private sale, try to get some additional warranty thrown in as well as the nice mooring cover. You will want the mooring cover so better to get it thrown in the deal if possible.

If used, I think it has to be through a Yamaha dealer to transfer the warranty.

-Loren

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Check in your local state if sales tax apply to used boats? Where I’m at, there is no sales tax on used boats, only applies to new.
That could be another factor for you to consider. While these are all very important considerations and factors, in the end, I’d say go with what you want so there is no regrets later.

Chaunceybland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for all of the advice! I just spoke to the dealer with the 19 Limited SE. List is $64,500. He told me the manager is more likely to accept an offer with a down payment ($1k, since its a prior year model). Having never done this before, is $60k and a cover with $1k down a big ask?

Last edited:

oneflight

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you can buy the 242XE for $72,300 "out the door" you will be paying less than anyone who has bought a 242XE in 2020. send me the dealer info please. Thanks

AbuAyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
So all "E" series like SE and XE have the e-throttle? What does that do exactly?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So all "E" series like SE and XE have the e-throttle? What does that do exactly?
Yes.

Electronic throttles give you the following:

- computer sync to single throttle lever operation
- computer controls throttle, all other models have manual cables connected to the throttles. this makes the throttles butter smooth to operate. 😀
- seems like there are other benefits, but I’m spacing out right now.

Chaunceybland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can't remember the dealer at this point. I ended up going with a new 2019 SE. I'm not sure if the guy with the XE was his states taxes included. He was still cheaper than the 20' SE I was looking at. The 20' SE was $81k out the door after all taxes. I think the guy with the XE, was just trying to empty his lot. He said that what he had was all that he was getting since, Corona shut down production and that he would be willing to do $73k for the last boat he had which was an XE. Sounded like a great deal, but thought the SE fit our family better.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Another is GPS based speed control (Drive Control)....... In the case of water sports, you can set your max speed and acceleration curve. Once set, you can drop the hammer and the boat will accelerate depending on how you have it set up to your desired (set) speed and maintain that speed. You can also save several presets for different riders/applications.

AbuAyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
So latest prices I am getting from Texas dealer who have any inventory left

2020 242 SE ($76K) $83K out of the door including Freight and upgraded aluminum trailer.
2020 242 XE ($83K) $89.5K out of the door.
2020 242 S $77.5 out of the door.

Pretty much as is-no throwing in anything :)

Seems like a pretty bad time to buy new right now.

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So latest prices I am getting from Texas dealer who have any inventory left

2020 242 SE ($76K) $83K out of the door including Freight and upgraded aluminum trailer.
2020 242 XE ($83K) $89.5K out of the door.
2020 242 S $77.5 out of the door.

Pretty much as is-no throwing in anything :)

Seems like a pretty bad time to buy new right now.
That’s about what I paid in March. the dealer where I bought my 2020 242XE just told me he can get me every penny I paid if I wanted to sell. He doesn’t have one jet ski or boat left. Nada. Sold out.