• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Getting a new 2019 AR195 need advice!

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I finalized the deal on a new 2019 AR195, should be taking delivery here in the next few weeks. Is there anything special I need to know about the boat as far as break-in, regular use, care/maintenance, longer term concerns, etc? I've read some stuff on the forum about the break-in period and the 10 hour service, I just didn't know if there were any other things to watch for that other owners may have noticed during the time with their 195's.

I watched a YouTube walk-thru type video review on the new 2019, and the guy did mention that on the 2019's they apparently made adjustments to the tower where when folded it will now fit into/under a standard 7' garage door opening. I think I'd seen a post on here about someone who'd either lengthened or removed the cable stops on an older model to allow the tower to come down lower to clear the garage door. Sounds like that may be a non-issue on this one though (thank goodness).

I'm coming from a Scarab 165 HO Impulse, the AR195 will be a huge improvement in space inside the cockpit. I think the thing I'll miss most is the jetski-like handling of the 165. I still love my 165, but long term, the AR195 just seems like a more versatile boat that is more livable and can still fit inside my garage. I just didn't know if there are any other caveats I should be aware of going from the Scarab to the Yamaha.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will say you will enjoy the minimal maintenance required on a Yamaha, other than the cleaning and waxing and similar type obsessions to keep it looking pristine!

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First, congratulations on a great purchase!! Just do a once over on all nuts and bolts, i had some loose ones under the helm securing the dash, some hoses for cupholders loose, nuts securing the hinged seats, nuts securing the hooks for my bimini top... anyways, lots of small stuff that wasn't 100% like I would expect it. The bow roller that shorelandr trailer comes with is very rough on the boat gel coat, changed mine to Stoltz and no more damage is occurring. The Carlisle Bias Ply tires on the trailer gave me problems after 2 months had my first flat already, replaced them with Goodyear Endurance Radial tires and new aluminum wheels (rides much nicer back there now). Let me know if yours fits in the garage with tower folded, I may upgrade mine to an AR 195 next year.

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the fast response - I really appreciate the info!

The dealer was saying that the SVHO engine is low-maintenance, only requiring annual oil changes - apparently even the supercharger is zero maintenance on them, which is somewhat surprising to me, since I owned a WaveRunner in the distant past with an SVHO in it that required a rebuild and new sprag gear after about 85 hours. I'll also have to check out the trailer tires, this was also an issue on my Scarab trailer where they required replacement midway through the second season. Somehow I don't think manufacturers install top-of-the-line tires on these trailers coming out of the factory.

With regards to the bow roller, I don't know that they've changed them for 2019 per se, is there a way to tell if mine is newer/updated from yours? What color is the roller? Would there be a way I could see a pic of the problem style (either posting one up here, or elsewhere on the forum)? How much do the upgraded ones like the Stoltz cost, and how big of a pain are they to install (i.e. easier to do with the boat off the trailer, etc)?

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Minimal cost and very easy to replace.. if it’s an off yellow color... switch it out... congratulations on the boat

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat is a 2019 also and came with the hard plastic roller it is light yellow in color and very hard. I replaced it with a Stoltz see http://www.stoltzind.com/bowstops.html

They have a 3.5 inch that they call Yamaha shorlandr model but I did not like the fit to the keel on that, so I bought model RP-444 with 2 RP-434 bells. Now our middle roller is 3.75inch so on the 4inch I bought i shaved a bit each side and it’s perfect now. It’s one bolt to replace and it can be done with boat on traile by loosening winch strap and worse case just loosen the winch plate from trailer (2 bolts) and slide back 1 inch or so change and reposition. Pic of mine attached you can see it conforms to keel really well ( the pic is with strap loose)

Attachments

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That Stoltz roller looks like a good fit, and minimal cost too...…….very cheap insurance to protect the keel. Getting that swapped out will be one of the first things on my list. Sounds like it's a simple install too, which is great.

One other thing I forgot to ask about is the Connext LCD helm controls - has anyone had any issues with that at all? What about visibility in the bright sunlight? Do they make some kind of small hood attachment that sits on the top of the display that helps shield it from the sun a bit? Or is it really a non-issue?

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Only have 12 hours on mine but zero issues on my Connext. As for sun, I have the Bimini if the sun is up high but I don’t think even with the top down that I’ve not been able to see the display.

Yeah my boat was already scratched when I picked it up from the stock roller

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Maccam26 do you know the outside dimensions of the new helm storage door on your 2019?

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Maccam26 do you know the outside dimensions of the new helm storage door on your 2019?
I don't and I'd jump into the boat to get that for you but I broke my ankle jumping off the boat on Jan 1st. Probably, not a good idea for me to climb in there again on my one good leg for a little while.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Maccam26 Sorry to hear about your ankle, hopefully you'll be all healed up before boating season!

@stevenk2 Do you by chance know the outside dimensions of the new helm storage door on your 2019?

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@DavisAR195 - I do not, sorry about that! I have been to the dealership to look at the boat, but I have not taken delivery, so I don't have the actual boat yet. Once I have the boat in my possession, I can post the dimensions.

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One other thing I didn't really have a chance to try out to any great extent was the stereo - does anyone have any thoughts/advice on the stock stereo? I'm thinking that it's probably just alright, but probably doesn't have the punch of an aftermarket or tower speaker setup.

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One other thing I didn't really have a chance to try out to any great extent was the stereo - does anyone have any thoughts/advice on the stock stereo? I'm thinking that it's probably just alright, but probably doesn't have the punch of an aftermarket or tower speaker setup.
It's definitely a "stock" system. No punch whatsoever, no base. Very basic, I only use it when stopped for background sound at moment.

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll look in the forum for some more info, but what are the upgrade options for the stock stereo? Replace the stock amp(s) and speakers with upgraded units + dual batteries maybe? Tower speakers?

I may just run the first season with the stock system and then put some money into it after I've had some experience with it. There may be other areas that I want/need to put money into on the boat that I find are more important to me first. It may also come down to how much cash we're talking about too - if I can get it upgraded for under $1k, that's one thing, but if I have to spend thousands on it for halfway decent sound, then that might mean I have to wait. (And yes, I know you can throw as much money as you want on boat sound systems, they're happy to take all of your money...…..) :cool:

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah for me as a new boat owner, learning to boat safely and exploring is more of a priority than a loud sound system, I kind of like the nature aspect of boating (lake, trees, calm... away from work)... so I'll listen the the malibu's and moomba's and the like with their 10K stereos go buy but I'm just not into that anymore. (my 17 yr old self put wayyyyyyy to much money in car stereos).

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m currently running 2 exile 9” surf tower speakers with the factory cabin speakers. Next year I plan on running another amp with a dual battery set up and upgrading to 6.5” exile cabin speakers.

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m currently running 2 exile 9” surf tower speakers with the factory cabin speakers. Next year I plan on running another amp with a dual battery set up and upgrading to 6.5” exile cabin speakers.
How much did that run you, if you don't mind me asking? Do you have any fears of running the battery down at all with that setup, particularly while at anchor when the engine is off?

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks - I'll check it out! How's the sound with your setup?