• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer locations in a 242LS

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok. I'm a big fan of putting the cart before the horse obviously. Not even 100% positive I've found my boat yet, but I'm already planning out the stereo. I can't seem to find alot of info on the best location for a couple subwoofers in this thing (2011 242 LS). Planning on 2 Wetsounds XS-10FA free air subs. Any ideas/pictures? :)

I'm assuming the best place for the amp rack will be in the storage area in front of the helm. Difficulty in routing wires here?

I'm planning on replacing all the stock coax's with either the Wetsounds or JL coaxials (open to other suggestions of course. The rockfords are pretty budget friendly, but haven't heard them or any reviews really). I'm also gonna add 2/3 amps. I'm also looking at the Rockford M282B-wake 8" tower speakers.

I'm also assuming the stock head unit has amp pre outs. If not, I'm already leaning towards replacing it with a bluetooth unit. I'd like to do most of the install myself (everything except mounting the subs). I've installed > 50 car audio systems before, so the wiring is pretty easy for me. Anything marine specific is not.

As always, your thoughts/opinions are appreciated. If the folks at the Bimini Sands can hear me from the intercoastal, my mission will be a success.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't have a 242, but this is where we put my sub. If u wanted to run 2 subs, u could mount then across from 1 another.
And I also have 2 WetSounds amps located in that storage area under the helm - perfect location for them.

image.jpg

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I had the boat already and could lay my eyes on it, this would probably be easier. But, isn't that where the cooler goes? Under the seat there, I mean.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Here's mine.

20150113_182312.jpg

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If I had the boat already and could lay my eyes on it, this would probably be easier. But, isn't that where the cooler goes? Under the seat there, I mean.
Yes. But honestly, that cooler is pretty much worthless in that location.

I would recommend a different cooler. I have removed mine and just carry a portable cooler than can hold about 24 cans.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
But, isn't that where the cooler goes? Under the seat there, I mean.
The cooler still fits, but I hate keeping the cooler in there. We are in and out of the cooler so much, we prefer to just keep it out on the floor. It makes a perfect foot rest.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you are willing to sacrifice your cooler location, go ahead and put them both there. Putting one on each side of the boat facing each other may cause phasing issues. Believe it or not, it's a challenge to put multiple subs in these 24' boats (cleanly).

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Those of you with 1, are you happy with just one? I hate to sacrifice any storage space anywhere, but there again, I'm coming from an 18' seadoo with very limited storage. Trying to get this all done right the first time, with the exception of probably upgrading the rockford towers to wetsounds in another year or 2 if I'm not happy with them. No way to fit them in the budget right now.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am extremely pleased with my single WS sub.
I do recommend a separate sub volume control so you can control the thump depending on styles of music.
When my daughter DJ's (usually when I step away) - her Nikki Minaj crap thumps a wee bit too much!

Last edited:

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
LOL, hopefully no Nikki on my boat. I'm looking at the Wetsounds EQ also to control all the volumes. Even if not, at least a remote gain for the separate amps.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I strongly considered the WS EQ as well. But I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, knowing that every time I turn away, my wife's gonna lower it and my kids are gonna raise it - so I went with individual volume controls for each zone - 6 inboards, sub and tower.

Last edited:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you are willing to sacrifice your cooler location, go ahead and put them both there. Putting one on each side of the boat facing each other may cause phasing issues. Believe it or not, it's a challenge to put multiple subs in these 24' boats (cleanly).
EXCELLENT advice ! And yes ......... You CAN install at least a quality Rockford-Fosgate sub (M210S4) in that same compartment with the cooler and they both comfortably exist. There are issues with finding a location that has a "flat enough surface" for a 10" location. Try 1 first. Think you'll be quite pleased.
Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any reason not to put it across from the cooler, in the battery compartment? Seems like alot of wasted space in there up under the seat. Not as easily accessible as the cooler storage area. Seems like it'd be a better location for the sub? I haven't measured it yet, but it looks like there is room for one there. Probably not 2 with the way the (seat support?) or something juts down inside.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I was think of the same place on mine. I think @BAC.94 put one there on his LS. If we're lucky he might have a picture to post.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have a picture right now, but mine is mounted just in front of the door to the helm compartment facing the port side compartment, fits pretty good there, and the sound doesnt seem to be lost too much....

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think if you are going to do an infinate baffle subwoofer, put it anywhere in those compartments that suits you. I've seen them on the cooler side mostly, but have seen a few in front of the helm door that looked good. If you can fit on on the battery compartment side, go for it. I wanted to run 2 subs and that side wasn't an option.....table mount was in the way.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ya know, I was in a hurry and only looked at it from the inside, that table mount probably is right there. I'm sure I could easily relocate that to the other side though.