• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Being cautious buying a 2015 242 ltd s

AquamanH20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was going to close the deal on a 2015 freshwater only 242ltd with 257 hrs on the engines. (Reasonably low retail value priced) Not sure I want to give up my ultra reliable 2011 AR 210 for the "unknowns" of a previously owned boat for more money. Considering the timing chain issue, I may have to pass unless I hear that the original owner had issue addressed or if it is a late year build. If I get no info regarding the engines I'm wondering; since it has 257 hrs, would the issue have already occurred or is it something to be wary of at all at this point... It is my understanding that if it is one of THOSE engines it has a 1/100 chance of failing.
Beautiful boat has it's hooks in me:devilhorns:

I'm presently waiting for the dealer to get back with me on mfg. date or servicing of timing chains

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just buy new then, if you are so worried about it, I sold my 2019 242 to a member in Detroit and he never even came down to Orlando to see it or even try the boat, you can buy buy an older boat and have great luck or buy newer and be a POS. Hundreds of Yamahas in Orlando I have never heard any having issues, I know it's a know issue. But if it's a great price buy and just replace it.

AquamanH20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had a good talk with an experienced Yamaha Marine service advisor and he said had heard of the ti I got chain issue but never personally saw anything like that, so I’m going to take my chances.He doesn’t think there would be any advantage to changing the chains. The most important thing in his opinion is to make sure the compression is still good. 170 - 200 on each cylinder. I was able to put a refundable deposit on the boat and can drive out to check it in a few weeks. Scott at Pinnacle marine in Phoenix said he doesn’t want to sell me anything that I don’t have complete confidence in. Meanwhile, my AR 210 is up for sale. Oh yeah, it has the Perfect Pass servo system on it. I’ll take offers :)