• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Big Green Egg Yamaha Style?

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've had this rolling around my head for a couple of years now and in honor of Mel @txav8r getting his new Yamaha, I felt the need to share. I hear all the people talking about how awesome their magma grills are, how much better everything tastes while on the water, yada yada yada. Obviously these people are not eggheads, because any use of a gas that comes out of the bowels of the earth, isn't going to impart a good flavor to anything it cooks.

Well here's the rub (see what I did there!), glowing, 800 degree chunks of lump and plastic, fiberglass, gasoline, etc really don't mix very well. Imagining a small green egg falling over onto the deck of my boat reminds me of watching a Willie Pete (white phosphorus) grenade melting through the deck of a tank, and then melting through the lower armor and dropping to the ground. Except in this case the lump will stop burning about the time it meets the water entering the hull from the gaping melted chasm it created. Sorry, back on topic! Propane, even on the water can't hold a flame compared to an egg! (Yes I am biased, but I have been eggucated)

So the conundrum... Do I mount the egg and cook on the boat? Do I create a floating transport, and egg on the shore? I'm leaning right now towards leveraging the awesome swim deck and shallow water capability of our fine watercraft and backing to shore and carrying the egg to a beach area to cook.

The next challenging decision will be which size egg? Personally I think I'm sold on a small vs a mini since you can cook a butt on a small.

Ok so let's have some fun and help design a mod for Mel's new boat, and while we are at it I'll figure out what I am going to do!

This is killer, but probably too large for even a 242

I kinda like this idea, but for transporting and carrying to shore...

Someone was able to find a cooler that held a mini, and he was able to float it ashore...

And this last one is the thing of nightmares!

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I keep seeing the eggs... how much are they and stuff man? What's a good price for a small one?
I personally would only go to shore with anything charcoal. One benefit of a propane one is you can usually hang it off the side of the boat somehow and have the grease or whatever that may be spitting about just go into the water. But I keep seeing the eggs, and am interested.
I actually want to start my fishing career this year out on Lake Michigan, and have never really gone fishing, filleting, or cooking lake fish. Give me a salmon fillet and I can do some wonderful things! I'm sure with an egg it would be great!
But I would certainly bring it to shore myself just due to the coals, even though everything looks and should be contained.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That aluminum mount is a thing of pure beauty in execution, idea, and function! But in reality, I'm not usually on the water long enough to smoke a butt, maybe ribs... I still haven't tried steaks on the egg yet.

As for a mount, maybe something like that aluminum mount could be fashioned onto a table leg. How heavy are the small or mini?

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I keep seeing the eggs... how much are they and stuff man? What's a good price for a small one?
I personally would only go to shore with anything charcoal. One benefit of a propane one is you can usually hang it off the side of the boat somehow and have the grease or whatever that may be spitting about just go into the water. But I keep seeing the eggs, and am interested.
I actually want to start my fishing career this year out on Lake Michigan, and have never really gone fishing, filleting, or cooking lake fish. Give me a salmon fillet and I can do some wonderful things! I'm sure with an egg it would be great!
But I would certainly bring it to shore myself just due to the coals, even though everything looks and should be contained.
Prices really depend on your local dealers, check for a local egg feast and you can usually get really good prices on demos. Also craigslist is a pretty good source for used eggs. A quick check and small eggs are going around $3-350 used in Atlanta.

The beauty of the egg is the lifetime warranty. After replacing a gas grill once or twice you've paid for an egg.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That aluminum mount is a thing of pure beauty in execution, idea, and function! But in reality, I'm not usually on the water long enough to smoke a butt, maybe ribs... I still haven't tried steaks on the egg yet.

As for a mount, maybe something like that aluminum mount could be fashioned onto a table leg. How heavy are the small or mini?
Ok, first things first! Google TRex method of cooking steaks!!! I love the aluminum mount and thought about a way to do that with a table leg based mounting point...

Here are the dimensions and weights.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Weight is in inches

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I saw that, but the numbers look correct!