• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cooler...What are you using?

jared24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So trying to find a solution to buying ice multiple times a weekend. I've looked at the Yeti Hoppers and the new Rtic SoftPak coolers. Wanted to see what everyone else is using and what's the biggest size you can get in certain compartments...

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just bought a 48 pak AO cooler for my boat which fits perfectly in the starboard rear compartment directly next to the cooler which came with my boat. Check out youtube, "cooler for sale" site, they have a lot of really good info on the coolers which I found helpful. A few others did the same or better against yeti for a lower price.

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I bought an SX192 last year and quickly measured to determine what size cooler to buy. I decided that the best place for a cooler is the storage compartment behind the driver. As the area is fairly narrow, any efficient coolers with thick walls would not hold enough food and drinks. I looked at all of the reasonably priced brands and suppliers and determined that the cooler whose size best fits the opening was the Igloo Marine Ultra 36. It was only $40 and I would have gladly paid more for a better cooler but the size was right. The Igloo Marine Ultra 36 isn't worth $40. The only thing that warrants calling it a marine cooler is the white color. There is no insulation in the lid and there is no drain spigot. It will keep food and drinks cold all day on the boat but there is a lot of water at the end of the day. If I remove the cooler from the storage compartment, I keep it in a shady spot and cover it with towels, otherwise I don't think the ice would make it. In order to ensure everything stays cold, I only put the food and a couple hours of drinks in the cooler with a 10# bag of ice. I keep the rest of the drinks in a Polar Bear 24 soft cooler with no ice in the compartment behind the cooler. As I take drinks out of the Igloo, I transfer from the Polar Bear. I might do a test to determine if the Polar Bear keeps ice longer than the Igloo. If so, I may get a 48 can Polar Bear to replace the Igloo.

Last edited:

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought an SX192 last year and quickly measured to determine what size cooler to buy. I decided that the best place for a cooler is the storage compartment behind the driver. As the area is fairly narrow, any efficient coolers with thick walls would not hold enough food and drinks. I looked at all of the reasonably priced brands and suppliers and determined that the cooler whose size best fits the opening was the Igloo Marine Ultra 36. It was only $40 and I would have gladly paid more for a better cooler but the size was right. The Igloo Marine Ultra 36 isn't worth $40. The only thing that warrants calling it a marine cooler is the white color. There is no insulation in the lid and there is no drain spigot. It will keep food and drinks cold all day on the boat but there is a lot of water at the end of the day. If I remove the cooler from the storage compartment, I keep it in a shady spot and cover it with towels, otherwise I don't think the ice would make it. In order to ensure everything stays cold, I only put the food and a couple hours of drinks in the cooler with a 10# bag of ice. I keep the rest of the drinks in a Polar Bear 24 soft cooler with no ice in the compartment behind the cooler. As I take drinks out of the Igloo, I transfer from the Polar Bear. I might do a test to determine if the Polar Bear keeps ice longer than the Igloo. If so, I may get a 48 can Polar Bear to replace the Igloo.
Check out the "Coolers for sale" guys from youtube, they do a very informative ice challenge with many coolers and my AO and the Polar Bear soft coolers are commented and tested! I bought my AO 48 from amazon for $84.00.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use an AO cooler. I don't like hardsided coolers sliding around on the boat. The AO keeps ice fine for the weekend as long as you keep it closed, and preferably out of direct sunlight. We usually keep all our coolers in the ski locker.

RE: RTIC... they're every bit the cooler the Yeti is, at half the price. I got some RTIC tumblers and such.

jared24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Rtic coolers are on back order till mid June and I'm not even sure if the SoftPak 40 would fit in the rear compartment of my 190. Might go with the AO for the time being...

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used to keep my Yeti 45 either between the seats in the bow or in front of the rear seat. Many have used it to prop their feet on. It is great to keep things cold for a long time but does get in the way. I have since bought a couple of Hoppers which are much easier to get in and out of the boat. They aren't fantastic for ice retention though. A day, maybe two, is all you will get. It's been fine though as we always refill for the next day anyway. I do also keep a cheap Igloo 48 in the storage compartment behind the captain's chair at all times for any overflow. It fits perfectly there.

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm more worried about squeezing more people and their things on board, not coolers... We will be using the built-in cooler located in the bow, unless we need more than that we would probably get something that fit under one of the seat cushions.

Does anyone else use the built-in cooler?

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
This thread was started by the owner of a 19' boat. We don't have built-in coolers.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The lack of a cooler was a surprise for me when I was looking at the AR192. I did some research and found that the AO 38 would fit under the bench seat. This allows for easy access and also keeps the cooler out of direct sunlight.

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This thread was started by the owner of a 19' boat. We don't have built-in coolers.
Oh, I didn't realize that the 19 footers didn't have one. I figured maybe the built-ins didn't work very well so people preferred coolers.
I haven't used ours yet, but hopefully it does the job so we don't need a cooler. With all the kids we will have on board, we need all the space we can get!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We keep a hard cooler under the rear starboard seat in the factory location. That is where we store our food. I use the Engel ice packs in there so that nothing gets wet. I have a YETI hopper that we keep in the cabin so drinks are easy to get to while underway. The cooler is built like a tank.....very durable and when it's full of ice/water, you can turn it upside down and it won't leak a drop. But if you are looking for a soft cooler that keeps ice for several days in 90 degree heat, you won't find it here. I usually use 10 lbs of ice and drop in another Engel ice pack. That will get me the better part of two days, but will have mostly cold water by Sunday afternoon.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just so everyone knows...my reply was for a 19'..since that is the section the question was asked in. I know the larger boats have more room, different configurations...different seat heights.

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My apologies... I didn't mean to get this thread off track. I browse this forum through "New Posts" and don't pay much attention which sub-forum the threads are located.

-Also an Army Chief :)

paratrooper39

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Using a party stacker, although I just purchased and have only tested on the boat twice. So far it stores under the bench well, but I wouldn't say its very roomy or great for a long hot day.

JetSet407

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I use a party stacker as well under the bench seat. I also have a Yeti 45 that I put in the bow section. Depends on the group size and how long I'll be out.

watsino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Colman 48 qt was the largest I found that fit in the rear starboard (behind the driver). The insulation would hold ice for a few days, but definitely not as good as my other cooler (Colman Extreme 52 that was ~0.5" too wide and tall) . The Colman 48 qt will hold 2L bottles upright.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-3000000-48-Quart-Cooler/dp/B002V9XV9K