• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I CAN'T DRIVE 55!!

Joesfreezing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I have a problem folks! My newly purchased 175hp '99 Sugar Sand Tango will only hit about 37mph! Apparently as we discovered yesterday, it's still fast enough to toss my 13 year old daughter right off the side into Vallecito Reservoir.....🤣
But seriously, it advertises as being able to hit a little over 50mph. I understand that Vallecito is nestled in at about 8,000ft but I bought her from a gentleman that lives at about 6,500ft and he claims to have had it up to 50.
Soooooo yeah, what do you think? maybe the carbs need cleaning or re-jetted? 5SlqfBA+QgmtEx7+dy50sw.jpg

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How big is the boat? For comparison, my 2009 Sea Doo Sportster (looks like a similar design to yours) is 155HP and it tops out at 42mph. I’m at 1500 ft.

When I bought mine, the dealer said the next size engine (205HP) would add maybe 5 mph.

Let’s see what others who run at very high elevations say but it feels like 50 mph might be a stretch.

Joesfreezing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
How big is the boat? For comparison, my 2009 Sea Doo Sportster (looks like a similar design to yours) is 155HP and it tops out at 42mph. I’m at 1500 ft.

When I bought mine, the dealer said the next size engine (205HP) would add maybe 5 mph.

Let’s see what others who run at very high elevations say but it feels like 50 mph might be a stretch.
It's 175hp and 16ft long. Of course they clocked that speed at sea level so I'm not expecting that top speed, just more than 37

Joesfreezing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Change the spark plugs...
That sounds like an obvious answer that I hadn't thought of, considering it's a 2 stroke I suppose it's even more critical to perform that service....think it'll make that big of a difference? it's not like it has any apparent incomplete combustion or am I barking up the wrong tree with that logic? IDK the only other machine I have that's 2 stroke is my chainsaw....

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
At 8,000 feet, your 175 hp (at sea level) engine is probably more like 130 hp - perhaps less depending upon other factors that impact density altitude (temperature, humidity, etc.). I have no experience wth that particular boat but I'd imagine 40ish is probably in the right ballpark for top speed. Of course, you also need to ensure you have your fuel:air mixture set properly, have good clean plugs, etc.. But I would not expect 50 mph.

Joesfreezing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Thanks!
Do you have any experience with "power chips" for Mercury engines? Wondering if that may help a little.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, in a 17' boat with those HP, the loading and amount of fuel on board will make a difference. You very easily may find that with just you and 1/2 a tank of gas you can get to 45ish...

Joesfreezing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
That's a good point. I'll test that theory here in a couple hours and report back!

snowguru

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have had four of these boats ,they do between 45 and 50, check make sure your impeller is in good shape ,what are you pulling for rpm? Should be 4800 to 5000, 8000 is a lot of elevation I would think you should jet it.there is a sugar sand Facebook page a lot of information there

Joesfreezing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Hey thanks!
I think that's about where I'm at with RPM. Taking it to Powell tomorrow so we'll see how she does at 4K