• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rockford Fosgate Vs JL Audio Setup

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i added the mid-cabin speakers to my 240 and i'm happy with them. i also have tower speakers, so there's a lot of sound near my chair.
curious where you are planning the 12" sub to go? is it an IB? or are you going to have a box built?

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i added the mid-cabin speakers to my 240 and i'm happy with them. i also have tower speakers, so there's a lot of sound near my chair.
curious where you are planning the 12" sub to go? is it an IB? or are you going to have a box built?
I don't have towers, so that is why I am debating on installing them. Just don't know if the M3 behind me would be sufficient.

I am putting the 12 behind the Captain's chair facing toward the chair. It is an IB so no box is needed.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm impressed the newer boats can fit a 12" sub there. In my 230 a 10" will be a squeeze.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
JL M7 12" sub

I can't wait to have this installed and hear how it sounds!
Wear hearing protection - that M7 sub will blow your eardrums out!
I am curious if I should add two more M3s next to the captain and co-captain chairs or just leave it as-is. Would it make that big of a difference or no?
If you don't have towers, then mid-cabin speakers make a big difference while cruising. I believe your cabin speakers are toward the rear like mine so it really helps to have speakers beside the chairs to overcome the wind noise:

Cutting holes in a new boat might feel wrong, but you just need to go ahead with it. I was nervous with my first 5" hole, but it's fine if you follow the basic cutting rules (tape, mark, start in reverse to get through the gelcoat, then forward). The second hole was much easier.
:)

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are a lot of variables like how loud you listen and I also use my battery to run an air pump for inflatables. however i turn off my start battery and will play music till the house battery dies usually 6-8 hours at about 75% volume. I installed a noco charger in the boat and just plug it in when I get home to recharge the battery to full.
This is what I do. I wouldn't count on engines to charge the batteries much at all. I have tested my house battery down to where it didn't have enough voltage to turn amps on and it still had enough voltage to start the engines by itself.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you @The Canuck for the recommendation on where to purchase the equipment! I ended up saving over $1300 from my initial price quote! Everything is in the mail and will arrive tomorrow. I ended up going with:

JL M3 6.5 Gunmetal X 6
JL M600/1 Amp
JL M600/6 Amp
JL M7 12" sub
Fusion RA770 Headunit
Fusion ERX400 for the rear deck

I am curious if I should add two more M3s next to the captain and co-captain chairs or just leave it as-is. Would it make that big of a difference or no?
@NoFla21 Glad I could help out.

The 12" sub - can't wait to see how it fits/looks. It was something I was debating, and couldn't find an answer as to whether or not I would have the space to put it in. Would have saved me $100 as well. Oh well, it seems everyone or a lot of people do 10's, so I am sure I will be happy with it.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@NoFla21 Glad I could help out.

The 12" sub - can't wait to see how it fits/looks. It was something I was debating, and couldn't find an answer as to whether or not I would have the space to put it in. Would have saved me $100 as well. Oh well, it seems everyone or a lot of people do 10's, so I am sure I will be happy with it.
Yep, it will fit based on @KCAR250 post. They posted a picture of it too. Only difference is I will be installing it on the starboard side facing towards the helm. Install date is Jan 27th and I’l post pics when done!

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can't wait to see the photos. Definitely a tight fit with the 12", but doable.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I finally got the boat back from the installer. A couple of issues popped up, but the result is impressive! I am beyond happy with it and glad I spent the extra $$ with JL. I also love the Fusion RA770 and the 4-zone control. Great to crank it up in the cabin and be able to turn the bow lower so those in the bow aren't getting hammered with noise. I also added two more M3 6.5s next to the captain and co-captain chairs.

The main issue was the JL 12" sub will NOT fit. It wasn't even close. I brought up how a Wet Sounds 12" fit, and the installer said JL 12's fit more like a 15". Instead, I put two 10" subs opposite of each other behind the captain/co-captain chairs. While I have no comparison to a 12", I am happy with the two 10s. Here are pics of the installation. Also, don't mind the warning stickers.. They're coming off :)

FINAL SETUP
Fusion RA-770 Headunit
Fusion ERX-400 Remote
JL Audio M3 6.5 X 8
JL Audio M6 10" X 2
JL Audio M600/1 Amp
JL Audio M600/6 Amp

Attachments

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm glad you went with the JL they are far superior to most anything out there, the unfortunate part now is you can never go back! Where did you end up putting the amps? The set up looks very clean!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Well, I finally got the boat back from the installer. A couple of issues popped up, but the result is impressive! I am beyond happy with it and glad I spent the extra $$ with JL.
You get what you pay for - good speakers with good amps is a costly install but it's worth it if you like good sound.
:thumbsup:

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They put them under the helm. If you didn’t know any better, you would think they were stock based on the way you can’t see any wires whatsoever for the speakers. Boatronics of Northeast Florida did the install and I can’t rave enough about their professionalism and attention to detail.

Attachments

LukeDames

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Thank you @The Canuck for the recommendation on where to purchase the equipment! I ended up saving over $1300 from my initial price quote! Everything is in the mail and will arrive tomorrow. I ended up going with:

JL M3 6.5 Gunmetal X 6
JL M600/1 Amp
JL M600/6 Amp
JL M7 12" sub
Fusion RA770 Headunit
Fusion ERX400 for the rear deck

thinking about by passing my connect screen for audio bc the Bluetooth range is horrible. I suppose you have good range with this Fusion head unit ? How difficult was it to install the remote on the transom ? Thanks

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
thinking about by passing my connect screen for audio bc the Bluetooth range is horrible. I suppose you have good range with this Fusion head unit ? How difficult was it to install the remote on the transom ? Thanks
The bluetooth range is a software update fix.

OP: Any more pics of the fusion headunit inplace of the phone holder? Looks great and have been thinking that my self. Wouldn't mind seeing pics of the Axiom either.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

OP: Any more pics of the fusion headunit inplace of the phone holder? Looks great and have been thinking that my self. Wouldn't mind seeing pics of the Axiom either.
Regarding @adrianp89 comment

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I'll take some more when I go out next. The Axiom barely fits but looks good. Its a PITA to take off the mounting brackets so I just keep it installed. IMO, the fusion unit installed where the phone holder was is a perfect place for these boats. Tucked away but still easily accessible and easy to use since it is touch screen.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'll take some more when I go out next. The Axiom barely fits but looks good. Its a PITA to take off the mounting brackets so I just keep it installed. IMO, the fusion unit installed where the phone holder was is a perfect place for these boats. Tucked away but still easily accessible and easy to use since it is touch screen.
I am thinking of trying to put the Axiom close to level with connext and use that to run the stereo.

thedon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love your set up! out of curiosity why this head unit instead of the JL? I think I want the button to skip the the next track. also - do you have all 8 speakers on the 6channel amp? can you elaborate on this part of the setup?