• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 165 cranks but start

RODEO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hello all! Was on lake yesterday running more than 2 miles and all was fine. It then started bogging down, and lost propulsion. A few times it got running again, but again bogged down, and lost propulsion. After those fee tries, it cranks but wont start. It had 2 bars on gas gauge. Kill switch connected. Seems like a loss of gas, but that's a guess. Any ideas?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Is this a 150HP? I assume so with the "G" label you have. So no supercharger?

No errors of any kind? Double check your display...

I mean, what comes to mind are the usual stuff... bad plug(s), bad gas, bad coil, dirty injectors.... I assume when you say "got running again" you mean the engine started? If your engine is running fine and I misunderstood, then no debris in the pump?

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Hello all! Was on lake yesterday running more than 2 miles and all was fine. It then started bogging down, and lost propulsion. A few times it got running again, but again bogged down, and lost propulsion. After those fee tries, it cranks but wont start. It had 2 bars on gas gauge. Kill switch connected. Seems like a loss of gas, but that's a guess. Any ideas?
probably false fuel gauge reading and you are out of gas

RODEO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Is this a 150HP? I assume so with the "G" label you have. So no supercharger?

No errors of any kind? Double check your display...

I mean, what comes to mind are the usual stuff... bad plug(s), bad gas, bad coil, dirty injectors.... I assume when you say "got running again" you mean the engine started? If your engine is running fine and I misunderstood, then no debris in the pump?
Yes, I do not have a super charger.

It was running fine for an hour. Then it bogged down, and then shutdown. I was able to restart 3 or 4 times, but those never lasted more than a minute. I then could not get it restarted, and was towed back my slip by a very nice river police officer.

I will checking those things you mentioned, just havent had the chance. Thought while I wait on the chance to do that, I'd see what tips I might get here.

I didnt see codes, but will start there when I can get back to the boat.

Thanks!!!!

RODEO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Gozillas, I mentioned the tank reading wondering if that might be it.
I had recently been low on gas, gauge showing 1 bar, and the low level warning sounded. Knowing it was working recently, made me guess it wasnt that, so I ask.... Has anyone experienced faulty gas tank level readings.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
From what I've seen, the fuel gauge can DEFINITELY be faulty. But it's usually completely dead (i.e. electronic issue) or it gets stuck in the tank and reads completely full. I haven't seen or experienced a partially full, faulty gauge. But I wouldn't discount that possibility... but obviously, filling up would solve that problem pretty quick and you'd know it.

Carli

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi, happened something similar to me couples of weeks ago, the boat run fine until i shut down, when i try to restart it crunks but won’t start, problem was water or dirty gas

RODEO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Luc, thanks for that perspective, knowing others have seen issues is good to know, I won't trust that gauge as much as i have been.

Carlo, I also wondered this. Can someone remind, is there treatment you buy say at auto parts store for this, or how do I remedy that otherwise.

He'll are helping out big time, THANKS!!!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Well, if you suspect the gas, I'd just start by getting a cheap syphon hose... get as much as you can out of the tank and refill with fresh gas. Keep the old gas in case it's not the problem so you can use it. Once you have fresh gas (mostly), you can maybe consider adding an additive for water...

RODEO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Thanks again, its been a long time since I've dealt with contaminated gas.

Again, you all are helping me out big time, I am not the most mechanically inclined type ;)

Carli

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Luc, thanks for that perspective, knowing others have seen issues is good to know, I won't trust that gauge as much as i have been.

Carlo, I also wondered this. Can someone remind, is there treatment you buy say at auto parts store for this, or how do I remedy that otherwise.

He'll are helping out big time, THANKS!!!
In my case my mechanic just put the motor on (N) and try the start it giving strong acceleration, after a minute the motor back to life😁.....may be the treatment also can help you if the problem is dirty gas

RODEO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Put motor on (N) means what?

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Gozillas, I mentioned the tank reading wondering if that might be it.
I had recently been low on gas, gauge showing 1 bar, and the low level warning sounded. Knowing it was working recently, made me guess it wasnt that, so I ask.... Has anyone experienced faulty gas tank level readings.
Not directly, but I've filled up at the marina, until the fuel spigot shut off, and headed out. only to realize that the fuel showed only a bit over half full (maybe 3/4). The next time I kept adding slowly after the auto shut off and It put in another 9-10 Gallons or so.

Keep in mind that with motion (waves, acceleration, etc), the fuel sloshes around and could give you a faulty reading. Once my tank hits %50 percent, I start thinking about heading in for gas. I do keep a pair of oars on board, just in case. Everybody paddles! :D

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Neutral, my boat have a button down on the trottle
I'm guessing that the 165 won't let you start it unless it's in neutral and idle. I know my 195 won't (only has 1 throttle control) and my older BRP product, Sea-Doo, wouldn't turn over unless the controls were neutral and idle.

RODEO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Success! I brought 2 gallons of gas. Then, without adding gas, tried staring it twice, no luck. Added 2 gallons, still 2 bars on gauge, but it fired up.

Nexus, thanks. Now that I got burned by the gauge, I also will not get below half a tank again, no need to for my boating needs

If I wanted to get gauge to repaired, does anyone know what that involves, I have a great mechanic, I just wonder if it is worth it

Thanks everyone!!! I need to get paddled, and an anchor, and learn how to better deal with getting boat into slip once towed in should this happen again.

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Success! I brought 2 gallons of gas. Then, without adding gas, tried staring it twice, no luck. Added 2 gallons, still 2 bars on gauge, but it fired up.

Nexus, thanks. Now that I got burned by the gauge, I also will not get below half a tank again, no need to for my boating needs

If I wanted to get gauge to repaired, does anyone know what that involves, I have a great mechanic, I just wonder if it is worth it

Thanks everyone!!! I need to get paddled, and an anchor, and learn how to better deal with getting boat into slip once towed in should this happen again.
Not sure, but it probably involves opening the tank and replacing the sensor. I don't think it's necessarily complicated but it might be labour intensive, depending on how hard it is to get to.

It looks like the fuel pump has a floater attached. Maybe that just needs to be replaced. This is from Scarabs' parts web page:

You could start with opening the floor panels to see if the fuel tank opening is easily accessible.

But, If you do get some indication, I would just let it go to half and then see how much fuel is left. That would give you a pretty good indication if waiting until half is reasonable.

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length

it’s ok 👌🏻 you dont need to thank me lol

RODEO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I will then bow to you ;)

I already had the mechanic scheduled. Now I can use that money saved for paddles, anchor, and tow line.
I got real lucky, the officer who towed me in too extra steps to get this newbie back into my slip, which is sandwiched in a lane of slips. I know he went way above and beyond, and that I need to be prepared to paddle it into the slip next time.

So THANKS to gozills and all whom contributed, it is much appreciated!!!

Yudier549

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Please help, has anyone seen this issues , I have a 2017 scarab 195 when you switch the key on it always shows that is on (forward) in the cluster even though it’s in neutral ibr Fault error comes on p0410, the Boat will start!!! both 30amp relays are new, battery is new, Ibr module is new!!! Need help