• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Talk me into, or out of, it

Greg L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Other
I have been close to pulling the trigger on a 2015 195 HO Impulse, but have some reservations. I've boated for 35 yrs plus, from 12 ft up to 24 ft, with the usual 2ft-itis stops. Never had a jet and they intrigue me, but I've done enough internet and web searching to be nervous about a few things...fuel consumption, slow speed handling and docking, and lack of trim capability, for example. And we boat on the Ohio River, which can be glassy smooth or very choppy. Any thoughts on these, or other points to consider? Will appreciate all help...thanks!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Greg L Welcome to the Jetboaters.net community, and the Scarab section! I hope you will find our little pice of the internet informative, and entertaining.

Let me try to answer your questions as best I can.

Fuel consumption: Jetboats will use some fuel, but not as bad as some of the outboards or even stern drives. You can get 6gph avarage on the 195 with no issues. And thats on the supercharged engine.

Slow speed handling/Docking: The Scarab handles incredible in slow speeds almost precision-like. Its like you have a joystick on the big boats. Docking is even better. The only challenge is that the controls are reversed on Rotax powered boats when in reverse. You drive the bow as you would going forward.

You should take a look at these SeaDoo videos to set you at ease.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/sea-doo-scarab-glastron-chaparral-how-to-clinx-series.5116/

Greg L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Other
@Greg L Welcome to the Jetboaters.net community, and the Scarab section! I hope you will find our little pice of the internet informative, and entertaining.

Fuel consumption: Jetboats will use some fuel, but not as bad as some of the outboards or even stern drives. You can get 6gph avarage on the 195 with no issues. And thats on the supercharged engine.

Slow speed handling/Docking: The Scarab handles incredible in slow speeds almost precision-like. Its like you have a joystick on the big boats. Docking is even better. The only challenge is that the controls are reversed on Rotax powered boats when in reverse. You drive the bow as you would going forward.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/sea-doo-scarab-glastron-chaparral-how-to-clinx-series.5116/
Very helpful. Thanks so much for the quick reply! Any thoughts n handling rough water/tow boat wakes?

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ScarabMike would not steer you wrong. One thing he forgot to mention is that along with the jetboat, you get this forum. The best source of information about jet boats anywhere.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Greg L Scarab boats have a 20 degree dead rise, twin reverse chimes along the sides to keep everyone dry. The boats have no wood in their construction. They are SOLID. My 195 is great in the chop. I had a Sea ray 190 sport, and it would get pushed around badly. You'll love the ride.

Greg L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Other
@Greg L Scarab boats have a 20 degree dead rise, twin reverse chimes along the sides to keep everyone dry. The boats have no wood in their construction. They are SOLID. My 195 is great in the chop. I had a Sea ray 190 sport, and it would get pushed around badly. You'll love the ride.
This forum is a great help and you, sir, obviously know your stuff. I'm coming off a Four Winns 200 Horizon SS with 350 Mag and thru hull exhaust. Looking to reclaim the fun, but not the price tag. Looks like the 195 HO Impulse will work...until the next one comes along ;$). Thank you!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Greg L No problem!

The Four Winns Horizon is a nice boat! I couldnt find a dealer when I was shopping around before I bought my Sea Ray. I wanted to do a Corza exhaust on it before I sliced my leg on the prop. Then it was time to go. I think youll love the Scarab. Make sure you dont get suckered into a Smart Mat, they are garbage. Save the $1300.

Also, before taking delivery, make sure you check the trouble spots that are known.

1. Rust on the trailer bunks
2. Make sure your stereo works as it should. If it pops, or if your boat has the silver Sony, have them change it to the current marine one (its black)
3. Tug on the stainless "195" numbers on the windshield. If they are loose, or have a gap tell them to take them off and glue them properly.
4. Make sure all your LED courtesy lights work, and if you have the Kicker system, make sure your tower speakers work correctly and fade with the knob in the glove.
5. Make sure they test the trailer's surge brakes. There was a recall that affected only the 2014 models.

Scarab includes their own checklist with each sale. The dealer has to fill it out and send it in after delivery. Look for it, and take your time.

Icatfish247

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FWIW, parents have a Yamaha SX190(different boat but still a 19' jet) and they almost exclusively boat the Ohio River without rough water issues. Take caution around the larger cruisers and sometimes barges and the Scarab should be fine.

If your schedule allows it, the Ohio is a great place to boat on weekdays.

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Best option is to go out on the river and see for yourself. You can always add trim tabs to help with the chop. With minimal draft and no rudder/outdrive the wind will play a larger role in docking, trailering, etc but with practice you can predict and overcome.

Greg L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Other
Best option is to go out on the river and see for yourself. You can always add trim tabs to help with the chop. With minimal draft and no rudder/outdrive the wind will play a larger role in docking, trailering, etc but with practice you can predict and overcome.
Thanks, folks, for the Ohio River input. Very helpful! Some of the same conditions we've handled with a pontoon boat and pwc's, so they're not foreign. A couple last questions for now, I think. Anyone pull water skiers with a 195 HO? How do skiers like the wake, and is the power sufficient to get a skier up and out of the water quickly with the driver and two more adults on board? Of our boating group of four, all ski but me, the designated driver. Thanks.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Greg,
Buy the boat. With 35 years under your wing, you'll be fine.
Go have some fun. These boats do cause wrinkles though. Can't help that what with the permanent ear to ear grin that comes standard.

Best regards,

Glassman :cool:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Or see if you can get a test drive? Or someone from these forums? Or stop by a gathering, although that woukd put you without a boat for a good bit yet then.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Greg L - You mentioned the lack of trim capability in your original post...many jet boats don't offer trim capability because they have almost no bow rise due to the thrust being from the transom rather than under the boat. It would be nice if we could trim the boat to force the bow down, but we don't via the pumps, but you can add trim tabs if this is something you feel you must have.

Greg L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Other
FWIW, parents have a Yamaha SX190(different boat but still a 19' jet) and they almost exclusively boat the Ohio River without rough water issues. Take caution around the larger cruisers and sometimes barges and the Scarab should be fine.

If your schedule allows it, the Ohio is a great place to boat on weekdays.
Thanks, good tip. The area on the river we boat---around Rising Sun, Indiana---isn't crowded weekends either.

Greg L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Other
Greg,
Buy the boat. With 35 years under your wing, you'll be fine.
Go have some fun. These boats do cause wrinkles though. Can't help that what with the permanent ear to ear grin that comes standard.

Best regards,

Glassman :cool:
Thanks, Glassman, at my age what's one more wrinkle...

RFScarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I can't lie coming from prop boats a jet is odd at best to begin with. I am on my 3rd trip with my 195hoi and it takes getting used to at the dock. Not that it's not maneuverable, it's just different for me personally, with a boat that tuns in neutral and reverse is opposite of what to me is the norm. Beyond that this boat rocks!!! It is a blast and does things a prop boat cant. I was nervous myself but am very happy with the Scarab. Enjoy whatever it is you decide on. Oh and the ride is great even in large chop. I was concerned with that as well but it rides amazingly well at all speeds. You can tell the hull design was very well thought out. Dry passengers with no spray even in large waves also.

Last edited:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have been close to pulling the trigger ....... Never had a jet and they intrigue me, but I've done enough internet and web searching to be nervous about a few things...fuel consumption, slow speed handling and docking, and lack of trim capability ..........
One of the most IMPORTANT benefits of jet boat ownership to Barbie & me is we no longer ever again have to mess with, and hate, is "trimming" the motor constantly !
Just give it gas and go ! Good Luck in your decision. Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Let me just say this is the first boat I have owned so I cannot really make too much comparison. I will say that I have found my Scarab easy to drive whether idle (You'll understand when you drive one a jet), no wake or fire walled. At first I was a little hesitant about trailering but the Scarab was very responsive to control inputs.....simply put it did exactly what I wanted to. Not to mention the Scarab (and Yamaha I believe) have a docking mode that prevents you from incidental thrusting of the lever and subsequent shooting over the mark. And as @Boat Crazy said...you get this forum and all the fellow jet boaters willing to help. In the end...you will make your own decision so good luck in whatever you decide.

ptdavidson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I do not see an answer for you question about pulling a skier so here it is. This boat will pull a 200 lb slalom up in a snap, plus you have the option of adding the "ski mode" which will give you pre-set launch settings and top speed settings so your friends or wife won't pull your arms out.

Greg L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Other
I do not see an answer for you question about pulling a skier so here it is. This boat will pull a 200 lb slalom up in a snap, plus you have the option of adding the "ski mode" which will give you pre-set launch settings and top speed settings so your friends or wife won't pull your arms out.
Thanks. That's a cool feature the crew will like...and make me look better.