• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Talk me into, or out of, it

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I bought my 195 IHO back in July 2014. My wife and I have been on the Chesapeake Bay, Potomac River, Patuxent River and now the Gulf of Mexico. The boat handles the chop very well and the hull does a great job keeping the spray to a minimum. I used to be a I/O boat handler and handling a jet boat is a little different. Highly recommend that you watch the videos like everyone is telling you and when you get your boat take time to drive it around the parking lot (so to speak). Your first 10 hours will be at 60% power, this is for the break-in period. You will notice when you get to 6 hours the boat will gradually give you more power as you reach 10 hours. Believe me when I say that this boat will not have any issues getting anyone skiing or boarding out of the water. Ours is vivid green, we absolutely love the boat...scarab 195 024.JPG

Last edited:

Greg L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for sharing your experience---very helpful. And, great looking boat!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Slugger55 ................ NICE boat ~! :winkingthumbsup"
Congrats and wishing you a superb 2015 Boating Season !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Scarabgreg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I just purchased a Scarab 195 and docked it in a slip on Lake Michigan. It is my first jet boat and it is more difficult docking than with a stern drive. The boat immediately begins to move when started, and, is tricky going maneuvering in currents. I love everything about it except docking. I see Yamaha's can add fins. Is this an option for Scarabs too?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just purchased a Scarab 195 and docked it in a slip on Lake Michigan. It is my first jet boat and it is more difficult docking than with a stern drive. The boat immediately begins to move when started, and, is tricky going maneuvering in currents. I love everything about it except docking. I see Yamaha's can add fins. Is this an option for Scarabs too?
Welcome aboard @Greg L and @Scarabgreg congrats on your new boats. Not sure about adding fins to the scarab, but I'm sure somebody who knows will chime in shortly. Again, welcome ;)

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @Scarabgreg

All Jetboats push water through the jets when you first start them up. This is because our boats are direct drive, and do not have transmissions like Stern/outboard engines. Your Scarab is equipped with a reverse and directional bucket that enhances the water coming out of the venturi. Once you get used to its abilities, you will see that these boats will maneuver better than stern drives. Please take a look at the SeaDoo Clinx. Watch all of the videos, and acclimate yourself with your new boat.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/sea-doo-scarab-glastron-chaparral-how-to-clinx-series.5116/

Greg L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Other
Thanks folks,for the info and insights. We have a pair of SeaDoos that function the same way...and they don't even have neutral or reverse. I'm sure it's not insurmountable, I'll just need good teachers and tutorials...and practice, practice, practice!

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Greg L, if you would like to take a ride on a jetboat before purchasing, we are in the Cincinnati area and would love to take you for a ride and let you drive our boat (2007 Yamaha AR230) and see what you think. We will be out Memorial day weekend.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Scarabgreg I have found it very useful to center the steering before starting the boat. The boat will literately spin in a circle if it is not centered. It shouldn't be moving forward or backwards while in the neutral position. You will also find it useful when at the dock, it will keep you pushed up against it. As @Greg L said "Practice, Practice, Practice." I run our 195 IHO out on the Gulf of Mexico to do some Dolphin watching, this neutral steering helps with spectating.

Greg L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Other
@Greg L, if you would like to take a ride on a jetboat before purchasing, we are in the Cincinnati area and would love to take you for a ride and let you drive our boat (2007 Yamaha AR230) and see what you think. We will be out Memorial day weekend.
What a gracious offer "to ride before buy"!
We will be in Indianapolis for the 500 over Memorial Day weekend, but spend a lot of weekends on the Ohio River at Rising Sun, IN.
Don't know how close you may be, but maybe we can connect. Thanks again!

Greg L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Other
@Scarabgreg I have found it very useful to center the steering before starting the boat. The boat will literately spin in a circle if it is not centered. It shouldn't be moving forward or backwards while in the neutral position. You will also find it useful when at the dock, it will keep you pushed up against it. As @Greg L said "Practice, Practice, Practice." I run our 195 IHO out on the Gulf of Mexico to do some Dolphin watching, this neutral steering helps with spectating.
Thanks, Slugger55, for the tips. Much appreciated. Every bit of info helps!

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I love it!10985942_1569056650027505_7878599001562174599_o.jpg

Scarab255

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
All this stuff I see about maneuverability while docking... I think it's more of an issue for people coming from stern drives. The second time we took our boat out, I had my wife put it on the trailer. She has literally zero experience with boats (she had never been on one until the day before) and was able to get it in after only a single faulty attempt. I had driven stern drives a lot when I was a kid, but haven't touched one for 10 years, I also didn't have any trouble maneuvering the boat into a slip or onto the trailer in a currant. Our sales person, however, who spends a significant amount of time on stern drive boats and not much on jet, had some issues.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Once you get used to the jet drive, this boat maneuvers better than a regular boat. Its like controlling the boat with a joystick, also being able to reposition in neutral is awesome too. My slip is in a tight spot between boats, after 2 days of practice I've mastered it

Greg L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Other
All this stuff I see about maneuverability while docking... I think it's more of an issue for people coming from stern drives. The second time we took our boat out, I had my wife put it on the trailer. She has literally zero experience with boats (she had never been on one until the day before) and was able to get it in after only a single faulty attempt. I had driven stern drives a lot when I was a kid, but haven't touched one for 10 years, I also didn't have any trouble maneuvering the boat into a slip or onto the trailer in a currant. Our sales person, however, who spends a significant amount of time on stern drive boats and not much on jet, had some issues.
Thanks, Scarab255, for your insights. I, too, come from a long stern drive history. Hopefully not so long that the old dog can't learn new tricks.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Greg L not the best visibility through the tint lol but I did go the darkest you can go