• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing services- Lake Michigan & Winnebago Chain

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've never had to call for a boat tow before but was curious for those that boat in the Winnebago chain or on the Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan who would you call if you needed it?

I was looking at becoming a BoatUS member but doesn't' seem like they are in the area (but maybe work with independent providers if needed?). for those in the area- what would you all do if you needed on the water tow?

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Not from that area, but when I had to get towed, we called Progressive Insurance and they put a call out to all local towing companies. The first one who responded is who they sent out. With Progressive Boat Insurance, on the water towing is free of charge and included in your policy. Saved me $900 for a 3.5 hour dock to dock trip.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For myself, I have several neighbors who could/would help me out, and depending on the weekend, family/friends to add to the list. I found similar info, there's not anything on the chain that BoatUS lists, but they supposedly will work with someone in the area up to your coverage.

Since I've never had it, or had to deal with it, I can't comment on how good/easy it is to deal with the process, but you could hit me up to see if I'd be in the area. The only reason I was still going to go with them was for roadside service with the trailer, but I ended up relying on luck and the kindness of the aforementioned neighbors/family/friends, and thankfully never needed help.

Now, I move my trailer about 100 yards to drop the boat in, 100 yards back, and a 10-minute ride to/from winter storage, so I don't have anything other than general insurance, which covers on-water issues other than towing. Adding towing was a few hundred bucks more, so I skipped it. It'll be used in the event of a catastrophe, and that's about it.

@WiskyDan @Brad460 @Cleveland Steamer do you guys have any input?

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I looked into towing services for the Winnebago chain but came up empty. The dry stack marina that I used my first few years (Sweetwater Performance Center) would use one of their rental pontoons to tow customers if they had enough staff to allow for it.

I now count on drewkareeboattowing.com for all my towing needs. He’s very punctual (if his boat is actually in the water) and witty/funny which helps alleviate the stress of a broken down boat. :)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have you called tow boat u.s. to ask how they would handle a call from you in your area and / or Who they would send out or prior customers / rescuees ?

I’ve broken down on the road and water, had aaa refuse to show up or refer me to another company but tow boat (almost) always came through. It’s grueling waiting for them to find an operator to help but I’ve never waited more than 30 minutes for that call back. When I started boating over 20 years ago tow boat cost me $50 something a year, now it’s closer to $200, still worth every penny IMHO, my boat and Waverunners don’t leave home without it.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked into towing services for the Winnebago chain but came up empty. The dry stack marina that I used my first few years (Sweetwater Performance Center) would use one of their rental pontoons to tow customers if they had enough staff to allow for it.

I now count on drewkareeboattowing.com for all my towing needs. He’s very punctual (if his boat is actually in the water) and witty/funny which helps alleviate the stress of a broken down boat. :)

Our motto is " It was on fire when I got here 🤷‍♂️ "

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I gave BoatUS a call today....they confirmed they do not have any Boat US stations on the Lake Winnebago Chain for towing but they would contact an independent provider and coordinate location, ETA, etc. I would then have to pay that provider directly and submit for reimbursement to BoatUS. I tried pressing them to find out how good of a network they have in this area but couldn't get them to elaborate much.

They do have a port in Milwaukee that covers a 50 miles radius and one in Door County as well. I'm sort of in between those two so not ideal but might be on the fringe of the milwaukee port.

I'll probably make the switch to boatUS for insurance. waiting for a call back from State Farm to understand they're towing policy but the costs seem to be similiar between them.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I had to guess, they would deal with Oshkosh Skipper Buds, Sweetwater Marina, and/or Fort Fremont. If they don't have/offer services for towing, those guys will know someone who does.

Sweetwater would likely deal with 'Bago, Skippers with Oshkosh & Winneconne, and Fort with Poygan, Partridge & the river. Anchor Point Marina might be another, on the river.

All of those places would be worth a call, and I would phrase it as "I'm looking to buy a boat for use in the area, and I'm wondering about services you offer in case I break down nearby".

IF they offer or have done it before, they will have an idea of cost and response time. There's a very real chance that my neighbor directly across the street could be a subcontractor for one of those places, or know someone who is. I'll see if he has any info to pass along

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
If you go to west marine at all the gold membership is 25.00 per year and includes the basic BoatUS membership that can be upgraded for more coverage. it’s really a no brainer if you shop there at all. I have not had to use it yet thankfully. We boat all over WI and many trips to Sturgeon Bay waters. But have yet to get on Winnebago chain. Been trying to plan that for a couple summers but no luck.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We are almost always out with other boats and I know a couple guys from Jetboaters that could help :thumbsup:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm happy to help if its during one of the few weekends each season where I'm not buying a new boat........... :)

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length