• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Jet Boat Wedge

M_Kirkpatrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was looking at buying the Yamaha Jet Boat Wedge. We have a 2014 212x. On the website it states that the wake wedge does not work with flip-up style steering fins on the 212x. Does anyone have any recommendations on what you can use to shape the wake on a 212x? We are new to wake surfing and are looking for recommendations.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board, update your profile with your location so we know where you're at,

Do you have flip up style fins on your boat ?

I would suggest either buying cobra fins that stay in place or trying your boat without fins to see how you like it,

I do know the wedge works very well, you could also try the wake booster,

M_Kirkpatrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the welcome!

It appears that we do have flip up style fins on the boat, but not entirely sure. We have thrust vectors that appear to flip up.

We tried this weekend and I think we need some type of help to surf behind the boat. Our approach was filling the ballast and putting everyone on the one side of the boat. It worked ok, but definitely not great.

Are cobra fins different than the wedge?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You do have flip up style fins and they will lock your steering if used with the Wake Wedge.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cobras are another type of steering enhancement fin (they also make a lock to keep your cleanout plugs from "blowing" out, it's a very cheap insurance)

if you want to keep the thrust vectors then I believe you'd either have to get a Yamaha Wake booster or upgrade your fins to the thrust vector wake series,

either way if you want to somewhat seriously surf you'll need a ballast bag on the swim deck, the gantlin bag is the best fitting but any 500-800 bag will do,

If your about to drop 1,500-3k in new stuff to surf (board, bags, wake shaper) I wouldn't hesitate to get fins that worked with the shaper of my choice, you could always sell the used vectors,

M_Kirkpatrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you for your help! We are new owners of the boat and are still learning, so I appreciate your help!

Do you have any recommendations of which route to take 1) get a Yamaha Wake booster or 2) upgrade the fins to the thrust vector wake series? Also, does either option impact other things we do on the boat (i.e. skiing, tubing, etc.)?

I will look at the gantlin bag.

Thanks again!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my personal opinion between those two options would be the wake booster,

it's new, it's expensive (you could try to build one yourself, it's simple concept) but it seems proven and easily switches sides and is storable,

I don't feel the lust for the thrust vector wakes, I don't see a great wave from the people who have posted, you have to permanently epoxy them on and they are still fleshing out issues with them and personally I don't have a problem with spray control (when my kids are on the tube nobody has ever complained about it), I had a member on my boat with the wedge (he has the same boat with thrust vector wakes) and he thought my wave was better along with no heaviness to the steering,

you should post up some pictures and continue to participate with us, maybe there is another member nearby that could give you a ride on their boat so you could get a better idea of what you can expect,

@J-RAD

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There's a lot of opinions around surfing these boats, especially now that there are more options than ever.

I'm with @Scottintexas as to my opinion in the Thrust Vector Wakes. I would not but them for the wakesurfing ability. They have their own ladder attachment but I am not a fan of how they are suggesting people run their ballast. It's very rear heavy... Anyway, I don't mean to bash. They have their benefits, I guess.

The WakeBooster is designed to fit the 2017+ 21' boats. You could have your own fabricated or I've seen a member here @3 green tornados modify one to fit his 2015 212x by relocating the mounting holes. It was a great success.

I personally run the wake wedge on my '16 AR240. I've added ballast in the stock locations along with the custom swim deck bag from Gantlin. The combination is phenomenal in my opinion. I'd argue it's the best, although I'll admit I've not invested in or tried the others. I've seen and heard several comparisons. My experience with the wake wedge may be unique in the sense I happen to be a watersports dealer. As such I've been able to ride numerous boards behind my boat and Gantlin setup has allowed me to be successful riding ropeless and playing in every one. I'm 5'10' 195lbs and I have my choice if boards from 4'4" and up. It's awesome! Message me if you're in the market for a board and I'll give you my best recommendation and a juicy discount.

Here's the Gantlin site which you've likely already found.

I don't run any steering enhancements, but if I did, I'd likely go with the Cobra Jet for the added high speed handling.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
my personal opinion between those two options would be the wake booster,
Not sure the yamaha booster works on his model boat. I thought it was newer models only. Although, I’m not as up to speed on the 21’ hull years.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure the yamaha booster works on his model boat. I thought it was newer models only. Although, I’m not as up to speed on the 21’ hull years.
2017+

M_Kirkpatrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
There's a lot of opinions around surfing these boats, especially now that there are more options than ever.

I'm with @Scottintexas as to my opinion in the Thrust Vector Wakes. I would not but them for the wakesurfing ability. They have their own ladder attachment but I am not a fan of how they are suggesting people run their ballast. It's very rear heavy... Anyway, I don't mean to bash. They have their benefits, I guess.

The WakeBooster is designed to fit the 2017+ 21' boats. You could have your own fabricated or I've seen a member here @3 green tornados modify one to fit his 2015 212x by relocating the mounting holes. It was a great success.

I personally run the wake wedge on my '16 AR240. I've added ballast in the stock locations along with the custom swim deck bag from Gantlin. The combination is phenomenal in my opinion. I'd argue it's the best, although I'll admit I've not invested in or tried the others. I've seen and heard several comparisons. My experience with the wake wedge may be unique in the sense I happen to be a watersports dealer. As such I've been able to ride numerous boards behind my boat and Gantlin setup has allowed me to be successful riding ropeless and playing in every one. I'm 5'10' 195lbs and I have my choice if boards from 4'4" and up. It's awesome! Message me if you're in the market for a board and I'll give you my best recommendation and a juicy discount.

Here's the Gantlin site which you've likely already found.

I don't run any steering enhancements, but if I did, I'd likely go with the Cobra Jet for the added high speed handling.
Thank you for the information! Have you heard of anyone having issues with the wake wedge and steering on the 212x (2014)? I definitely don't want to compromise safety for a great wake so am hesitant to go that route with our boat. I have started looking into the WakeBooster, but most of my search results are articles regarding the WakeBooster rather than sellers of the booster.

With all the feedback and help, it sounds like the WakeBooster that is custom fabricated for our 2014 boat sounds like our best option as well as a custom swim deck bag from Gantlin.

I will check out your website. My husband impulse purchased a board the other week so we aren't in the market for that, but we are looking for a junior wake board for my 6 year old. I will check out your website and contact you if you sell those as we will likely purchase within the next couple days.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
as mentioned above the stock Yamaha wake booster won't work on your boat, it's only for newer model boats, that said you could modify it or build your own to fit your boat but that comes with time and trials and more time and more trials,

You need to decide if you want to remove or replace your fins, the wedge won't work with your current fins.

if you don't want to remove or replace you're looking at building/modifying a wake booster.

if you'd consider removing or replacing your fins you could either go with the wedge or the thrust vector wakes

maybe just buy your ballast bags and get started with that, you may find you need speed control unit more than something to clean the wave (driving in large circle will also help clean up the wave).

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the information! Have you heard of anyone having issues with the wake wedge and steering on the 212x (2014)? I definitely don't want to compromise safety for a great wake so am hesitant to go that route with our boat. I have started looking into the WakeBooster, but most of my search results are articles regarding the WakeBooster rather than sellers of the booster.

With all the feedback and help, it sounds like the WakeBooster that is custom fabricated for our 2014 boat sounds like our best option as well as a custom swim deck bag from Gantlin.

I will check out your website. My husband impulse purchased a board the other week so we aren't in the market for that, but we are looking for a junior wake board for my 6 year old. I will check out your website and contact you if you sell those as we will likely purchase within the next couple days.
@jcyamaharider who commented in post 5 is the creator of the wake wedge. If he says your Thrust Vectors will contact your steering, then I would trust his advice. So either you go the custom route with the WakeBooster or remove or switch steering to the Cobra Jet steering to accommodate the wake wedge.

M_Kirkpatrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the help! Can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Like I said earlier, we are rookies as this is our first boat and we don't know a ton about jet boats. I look forward to being part of this community! You guys have been great!