• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

‘21 210 FSH

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Trying to finish my oil change…’21 210 FSH TR-1’s.
I can’t get the Yammy filter off.
I ordered a pair of filter channel locks and that should be all I need, but I was wondering what is the correct size for Yammy filter socket/wrench?
I know it is smaller than the 65mm I got from Amsoil. Thanks in advance!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I ordered one—thanks!
Be cautious with that tool. I have a friend who used one and crushed and tore the filter to pieces trying to remove it. All that remained was the baseplate of the filter with sharp jagged filter housing pieces. We ended up making a pin wrench to fit the holes in the baseplate of the filter to remove the baseplate.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Be cautious with that tool. I have a friend who used one and crushed and tore the filter to pieces trying to remove it. All that remained was the baseplate of the filter with sharp jagged filter housing pieces. We ended up making a pin wrench to fit the holes in the baseplate of the filter to remove the baseplate.
I am almost at the same point with the second filter. I was able to remove the first one, but the second one is definitely a bear. Trying a three-jaw tool next before the filter becomes scrap metal as you described. Thanks for the warning. Hope I don’t need to build a pin-wrench.

A good friend suggested the dealer probably didn’t change the filters at 10 hrs and I am dealing with factory tightness. Seems more than reasonable.

The one I replaced, I torqued to 12-ft-lbs. It will come off at a little more than 12 ft-lbs. So will the second one when it finally goes back on.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Also, those cheap filter sockets are shallow. When you put a 3/8 extension on them they wont seat all the way on the filter because the extension nipple prevents it from being fully seated. Sometimes if you half seat the extension you will get a better grip on the filter. Always good to have a small strap wrench around. Good luck..

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Also, those cheap filter sockets are shallow. When you put a 3/8 extension on them they wont seat all the way on the filter because the extension nipple prevents it from being fully seated. Sometimes if you half seat the extension you will get a better grip on the filter. Always good to have a small strap wrench around. Good luck..
Thanks for the tip…

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Finally got the filter off— My internet searching suggested trying a 3-jaw socket that tightens down on the filter as you twist the ratchet. I tried it and it wouldn’t grip the filter. Said for 2 1/2” to 4” — the Yammy filter is just about 2 1/2” and it slipped.

I think the Yamma filter was 64mm as the Amsoil socket I had was 65mm and it just spun on the filter. As a last resort I covered the filter with a shop towel and lightly tapped the 65mm socket on the filter with a hammer. It was snug on the filter. A short extension and a 18” ratchet handle was all it took. I pried the filter out of the socket and finished the oil change.

The next oil change will be a piece of cake now that the filters are properly torqued to 12 ft-lbs. Perhaps someone will benefit from my experience! Hope so!

Attachments

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I place the filter socket on the filter first then insert the 3/8 drive into the socket. The drive hits the top of the filter but I have never had anything slip.