• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help with attachments to fiberglass

JimG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Next week my 212X comes out of storage, and I hope to start working on the storage cabinet organizing mods that I had planned for last summer but never got around to completing. Like several others on this forum, I intend to hang a shoe tree for rope and other miscellaneous small item storage, plus build something to keep the bow cushions and table up against the compartment walls. To do this work I am likely going to need to glue or otherwise attach hooks or anchor points to the fiberglass interior walls of the storage compartment. I am inexperienced with working with fiberglass, so am looking for any tips on the best way to glue or drill fiberglass. Thanks in advance for the help!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ah, where to start...

When I was putting in my organizers, the first thing I would do was look for one of the carpeted walls. Usually there is plywood behind those. So you can just simply screw into them (as long as you don't go too deep). Then there are spots also where you will find that you can hook something over the top of one of those pieces of plywood. Also a winner.

If you really must attach to fiberglass, you have three options:
1) Use an adhesive, like the 3M Command hooks or something like that.
2) Use a nut and bolt. You will need to drill through and have access to the back side of the panel. To drill, first use a piece of the blue masking tape on the spot you will drill. Measure twice. Or three times. Check behind that you are not going to hit something. Then, using a regular drill bit, run it backwards and drill through through the top coat (gelcoat) of the fiberglass. Once you get through that, you can run the drill forwards through the rest of the fiberglass. Then you can remove the tape and install your nut and bolt.
3) Use a screw. The trick here is to drill the right size hole. It must be large enough that you don't crack the gelcoat or break the screw, but small enough so that you can still get bite from the screw into the material. Tape and drill just as with #2. However, before you take off the tape, put in a countersink bit and run that backwards to countersink just a little bit. Then remove the tape and install with the screw.

Hope that helps.

JimG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great advice -- thanks!!!

Stischendorf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used a piece of plywood cut to the side of the port side storage that has the handle on it. I used the bolts from this handle. I drilled 2 holes in the plywood that I cut to size and is used the bolts from the handle to attach it. Just used 2 nuts on the existing bolts. Now that I try to explain this is wish I would have taken pictures.

JimG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So you then used the plywood as a "base" to attach other things to?

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
3M 5200 makes an excellent bond, be sure to sand the surface you want to adhere to and wipe with acetone first. Once set, whatever you have bonded will likely live there for the life of the boat. Works great for locations on the interior side of the hull. :cool:

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Would love to see some pics of this when you are done.

JimG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks all for the advice. Will post pics when the work is complete.