• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Madison Lakes

wiscorafter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Seeking some input before we pull the trigger on a new boat. I'd be coming from a standard I/O 19 foot. About 75% of our time is spent on the Madison area lakes. Mendota / Monona / Waubesa / Kegonsa, going down the yahara river through mud lake etc. Is life going to suck (pun intended) with a jet boat given the weed situation on these lakes? Would love to hear from people who operate on these lakes. Thanks!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seeking some input before we pull the trigger on a new boat. I'd be coming from a standard I/O 19 foot. About 75% of our time is spent on the Madison area lakes. Mendota / Monona / Waubesa / Kegonsa, going down the yahara river through mud lake etc. Is life going to suck (pun intended) with a jet boat given the weed situation on these lakes? Would love to hear from people who operate on these lakes. Thanks!
Never made it to Kegonsa, but boated Mendota / Monona / Waubesa many times over an 8 year period (before I sold my SX-230 in 2017). Had one minor weed issue once or twice in all those trips. Unless the lakes have changed a lot, I would not hesitate to take a jet boat onto those lakes.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You should be fine we hit the three, with no problems. You just need to avoid the solid weed areas thinking mostly on Monona where the water is shallow.

Dietzen34

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
All of the lakes are great. Just stay in the middle of the channels when going in the rivers and avoid the shallow weedy bays. Monona has a great sand bar on the north east end called Holy Bay. Monona to Mendota through the locks is good. The trip from Monona to Waubesa through Upper Mud lake is good but might have to drop the tower if the lakes are high at the railroad trestle. The trip from Waubesa to Kegonsa is tricky, the water levels need to be really high as the river is very shallow. I have made the trip on my old AR192 but would not be able to on a 252.

wiscorafter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
thanks for the info. Sounds like it won’t be as big of a concern as I imagined. I envisioned constant problems.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks for the info. Sounds like it won’t be as big of a concern as I imagined. I envisioned constant problems.
I'm not in that area, but my home lake was a wild rice field, and it's shallower than most are used to. Even if you run into problems, the Yamaha cleanout ports are a breeze to handle anything that you'll encounter. My boating day, 100% of the time, starts with putting out of our creek to the lake itself, doing the reverse maneuver about 50-100 yards offshore to clear what's been ingested, sometimes twice, and I'm on my way. The rare occasions that I have to pull the cleanout plugs are easy to deal with, and even outboards often have to clear their props in those areas.

I would have sold any jet boat other than a Yamaha, or never even considered buying a boat, in the area I boat in. Eyes up, you'll do fine.