• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sargassum Weed

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, I have been seeing all the articles. Apparently the Cancun area is already having issues.

Hoping it stays out of the ICW, and doesn’t venture too much into the Gulf.

Also at present there is a Red Tide bloom in the Sarasota/Tampa Bay Area from what I have been reading.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Me too... I have been watching it and the red tide over here in the southwest Gulf has been bad enough. This would be the last thing we need over here.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
It's here and making the news almost daily. Of course it has to hit/bloom during spring break. Really stinks...

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mmmm fertilizer!!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The name of the post is what got me to look at. At first I thought it was a different strain, like Labrador from the first Cheech & Chong movie. In the Sacramento delta the prevalent marine vegetation is Hyacinth and when it’s really bad the nearby boat ramps close and / or advise customers to launch somewhere else. As a jet boat operator i always do what the recommend.

pro or not so pro tip: if you Get stuck in vegetation, check both clean out ports not just one of them.

Eldonfredo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
My news feed is clogged with all the stories as well.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well its put a crimp on the style of jet skiers and jet boaters here... Myself included. Hasn't been an issue til this year since i got here in 2016.

I went and bought an outboard powered boat to augment my fleet just so I can keep boating daily...

2005 23' Pathfinder DV23 twin 2015 F200 Yamahas 21 degree deadrise at stern...

00E0E_lLadHnNdlkFz_1320AA_1200x900.jpg00F0F_3QsdRWFNObwz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg00F0F_fDMHgZYNL6yz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg00f0f_gzEUP0PCnB8z_1320AA_1200x900.jpg00G0G_1KdGmkHI60dz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg00k0k_59NPCFM5JIzz_1320AA_1200x900.jpg00k0k_eTzzDxg5yHoz_1320AA_1200x900.jpg00M0M_hpGd3t2UQFZz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg00u0u_e5JM9nJ3PMz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

Eldonfredo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Came to the forum to find company for my misery. I guess I’m geographically unlucky. Where we put in is just south of Boca inlet and we can’t go 10 feet without packing the grates with sargassum. Especially with an incoming tide, there’s just no way to avoid it. The only thing that makes it even slightly possible to boat is it’s all a slow speed zone around there in the intracoastal. We rarely go out the inlet anyway but i would not even dare for the next few months. So we putter at 5000 rpm going 6mph waiting for the overheat alarm to go off. Luckily the sandbar is reachable before that happens. If you had a team of engineers and endless budget you could not design something better suited to clog those grates than the sargassum. It goes in far enough to get stuck but not far enough to get chopped up. We had a scary moment as our max speed was 6 mph., clogged again five minutes after clearing the grates. We were headed towards a bridge that decided to open. We were stuck between the big yachts and the bridge. Slow speed to those yachts ain’t 6 when those bridges open. I was able to get off to the side but it wasn’t fun. Clean out port helps some but it’s really designed to get something off the impeller shaft not the grates. You really have to get out to clear it fully. Honestly thinking there is a boating season in south Florida now. It’s tough to go out when this sargassum is rampant. Please JBP invent something!! Rant over if I’m missing something please shout at me. For now it’s going to be a while before we can out safely.

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The name of the post is what got me to look at. At first I thought it was a different strain, like Labrador from the first Cheech & Chong movie. In the Sacramento delta the prevalent marine vegetation is Hyacinth and when it’s really bad the nearby boat ramps close and / or advise customers to launch somewhere else. As a jet boat operator i always do what the recommend.

pro or not so pro tip: if you Get stuck in vegetation, check both clean out ports not just one of them.
hey Ronnie, is there a reason you keep football ball over clean out plugs?

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Trust me he tried so hard for a basketball 😂😂😂.

kidding aside… our beaches here have bunch of sargassum now too but doesn’t see a lot coming in the inlet. I haven’t gone out to open water in almost 3 weeks but looking out from the beach looks like it’s not a problem here in Sebastian, fort pierce area

TeenGee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Next week we're going to Key Largo. It was a problem last year. Any current reports for the North Keys?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Next week we're going to Key Largo. It was a problem last year. Any current reports for the North Keys?
I saw a report of someone that crossed to Bimini earier in the week and didnt see any in the crossing. From what I heard in the keys fishing groups there is no more then usual this year so far.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well it depends where you are and what the wind and the currents do. I park the jet boats on the days its bad... and just run the pathfinder.... Its no where near the skinny water boat that the Ratty old AR210 is but... it dont care about sargassum

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Came to the forum to find company for my misery. I guess I’m geographically unlucky. Where we put in is just south of Boca inlet and we can’t go 10 feet without packing the grates with sargassum. Especially with an incoming tide, there’s just no way to avoid it. The only thing that makes it even slightly possible to boat is it’s all a slow speed zone around there in the intracoastal. We rarely go out the inlet anyway but i would not even dare for the next few months. So we putter at 5000 rpm going 6mph waiting for the overheat alarm to go off. Luckily the sandbar is reachable before that happens. If you had a team of engineers and endless budget you could not design something better suited to clog those grates than the sargassum. It goes in far enough to get stuck but not far enough to get chopped up. We had a scary moment as our max speed was 6 mph., clogged again five minutes after clearing the grates. We were headed towards a bridge that decided to open. We were stuck between the big yachts and the bridge. Slow speed to those yachts ain’t 6 when those bridges open. I was able to get off to the side but it wasn’t fun. Clean out port helps some but it’s really designed to get something off the impeller shaft not the grates. You really have to get out to clear it fully. Honestly thinking there is a boating season in south Florida now. It’s tough to go out when this sargassum is rampant. Please JBP invent something!! Rant over if I’m missing something please shout at me. For now it’s going to be a while before we can out safely.
Have you tried the reverse maneuver? More or less, put the boat in reverse, gain some momentum, pull the shut off cord, and quickly shift to fwd. This opens the reverse bucket with he goal of water moving through the jet in the opposite direction and clearing the intake grate.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you tried the reverse maneuver? More or less, put the boat in reverse, gain some momentum, pull the shut off cord, and quickly shift to fwd. This opens the reverse bucket with he goal of water moving through the jet in the opposite direction and clearing the intake grate.
yeah the old Crazy Ivan... works ok on twins cause you can get a couple mph in reverse even with clogged intakes not sure about singles...

what i've seen down here in the lower keys this year is either tire or boat sized clumps that you can't steer around or football field(s) size masses that you cant navigate around easily... it was bad a month ago but had been better now that i bought a boat with outboards.

FWIW

Eldonfredo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have not. Part of my geographic challenge is how narrow and crowded the area is. The only reasonable solution is to move. 😊

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have not. Part of my geographic challenge is how narrow and crowded the area is. The only reasonable solution is to move. 😊
Ive never had a problem with Sargassum in the ICW between Hilsboro and Miami, Personally I hate the ICW. I alway choose to run in the Ocean. I hate the slowness and crowds in the ICW.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Once upon a time i was concerned that if I ever had a plug blow out it would damage the clean out plug hatch and the forums solution was to put nerf balls on top of the clean out plugs. After a few years of never having a blow out but constantly pulling and reinserting waterlogged nerf balls I just tossed them in the trash rather than reinsert them.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have eel grass in the great South Bay and one day we pulled into Oakland’s a restaurant over looking the Shinnecock inlet in our previous 2005 AR230. While eating lunch we watched the fishing boats moving quickly through the out going tide, they turn before going into the ocean waves. There was some eel grass floating in the marina not much but it was very long. load up the kids pull out of the marina go to power up nothing but cavitation. The water was moving faster than the power of the boat. I had a short anchor line it works fine anywhere in the bay but this was deep water and the anchor would not bite. This inlet is similar to the haulover inlet a little wider but lots of boats waves and jetties on both sides. Your natural tendancy is to fight the current but it’s a loosing battle and as soon as we rounded the corner in about 500 feet you're in the inlet that is moving even faster with boat traffic, waves and headed toward the ocean breakers with almost no power. Just like your taught if trapped in a rip current while swimming don’t fight the current go sideways, we did this and headed toward a sand bar as soon as the water got shallower the water slowed and then I could pull the clean out plugs yank the grass there wasn’t much but it was long and wreaked havoc on the propulsion and cooling system. Yes the temperature alarm lit up and steam was coming out of the pisser adding layers to the stress. I was always curious if different impellers could shred it up better, sitting in my garage are new jet pumps loaded with concord twin impellers these are great for surfing but I will defiantly rip through some eel grass to see how they do.