• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Service <what service should I do on my boat sitting for 2.5 years?>

cxr133

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi guys,

my boat has just been sitting and not started for the last 2 1/2 years. thinking of getting it serviced before this summer and using it a couple of times and probably put it up for sale.

besides oil\filter change, spark plugs and the gear box lubed. what other service should i be thinking of getting?
steering cables lubed?

2005 SX230

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check operation of FNR and steering before hearing out, might be tight/seized depending how it was put away.

Check operation of Bilge Pump.

Not much generally goes wrong.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ah, The Fuel... how was the boat stored? and what was the fuel level when it was put away?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, I'll second what @Beachbummer said, especially the fuel. If that fuel wasn't treated, I'd recommend siphoning it out, and putting fresh in. Give it a good smell test, and if you smell varnish, start over.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What gearbox lube do you plan on servicing??
Change plugs, oil/filter and check gas as posted above. Run on hose quite a while to verify no leaks in cooling system. Was it used in saltwater or fresh?

cxr133

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys only ran in freshwater.

pretty sure it was at least 3/4 full when put away.

i thought in the engine compartment there was a box that needed lube i thought it had gears or something in it. it has a zirc fitting i remember lubing it once.,

cxr133

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Be careful! One or two shots is enough. You do not want to pop the seal.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just as a heads up, There are no gears in the there, that just a straight shaft with some bearing around it and a housing and some seals to hold the shaft together and keep the water out of the boat. The shaft is underwater behind that panel.

cxr133

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just as a heads up, There are no gears in the there, that just a straight shaft with some bearing around it and a housing and some seals to hold the shaft together and keep the water out of the boat. The shaft is underwater behind that panel.

thanks

but it should be lubed? especialy after sititing 2.5 years?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Something a little more specific in terms of what you need to look at:

1621538546408.png

You'll want to be careful with that fuel....the temptation would be to try starting it as is....and pump who knows what into the engines.....I'd drain as much as you can and fill with fresh if it really has been over 2 years.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yep fuel is going to be your biggest problem here. It all needs to come out and fresh put it. After its got fresh gas i would disconnect the fuel line where it connects to the fuel rail on the engine. Turn ign on and pump the old stuff out of the line into a bucket. Get as much of that out as possible. Drain the fuel rail if you can. That old has will play havoc on those injectors. Hopefully those arent clogged up.

cxr133

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys, although i didnt do the work myself i had a shop service it and it ran great all weekend