• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Used Carpet Issue

BrandonC_OK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm planning to pull the boat out this weekend and make our first trip to the lake. Over the winter I bought some used carpet off of Facebook marketplace. It was in pretty good shape and it was only $150. Unfortunately, many of the snap caps on the carpet don't line up with sockets in the floor. Anyone with experience know the best way to address this?

I'm guessing there is some variation in the install from boat to boat and the carpet has likely shrunk a little (the largest piece is 1.5" too narrow from side to side).

My current plan is to remove the sockets and relocate as needed. I'll fill the old holes with epoxy and may or may not add gelcoat.

Other projects - The depth gage has never worked so I have a replacement on order that I hope to install this weekend. My old one is transom mount so that is what I'll replace it with. I also plan to see if the apparent adjustment for the speedometer allows me to calibrate it (see previous post) and also try to calibrate the fuel gage sending unit. My previous attempts at the latter just made it worse :) I'm going to fill to 1/2 tank and calibrate to that since calibrating to FULL didn't work so well. Also replacing the 10 year old trailer tires that I noticed had cracks. :oops:

Thanks, B

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Might want to get a new set of snaps and install in carpet rather than remove and replace the exist deck mounted units to fit the carpet the old snap shells can be fill with silicone. A snap kit is about $15. I am about to cut new carpet and install the new snaps in the new carpet.

BrandonC_OK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about the existing snaps? Just leave them? If I remove them will there be a hole?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about the existing snaps? Just leave them? If I remove them will there be a hole?
Remove what doesn't work, IMO, as they'll get in the way. Yes, there will be a hole, but this will be the smallest and easiest way to practice any gelcoat repairs with little chance of messing it up.

Look around the forums here for gelcoat tips and pics, and follow those threads and the instructions within. Wet sanding is the most counterintuitive thing, at first, but it will end up perfect in the end when you've finally done the last bit, and gone through your compounds, and finally buffed/waxed it. The sense of accomplishment at making a (small) hole completely disappear, is one of the biggest smile-inducers.

It's easier than you think, and when you're done, you'll realize there was no reason to worry. You got this.

BrandonC_OK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After some more research, it looks like removing the CAPS and adding new ones that line up with the existing STUDS in the floor will only leave a small hole in the carpet. That will solve half the problem. After that, I'll move studs and fill old holes with epoxy as needed. I bought a tool for install off of Amazon and extra studs/caps. I'll report back how things work out.