• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 stereo upgrade coming soon!

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@MattFX4 and any others who have installed speakers at the helm and "co-pilot" seat, how much difference do you find they make? I've been pondering adding those to my install list, but just wanted some experienced opinions :).

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Derek Fosbury I think it makes a huge difference. Between adding them, and adding an amp to power them, the difference is night and day. I used to not be able to hear the music while cruising 35-40 mph unless it was turned almost all the way up. Even then it wasn't very clear, and didn't sound good. Now I can hear the music no problem, and it sounds good. The first time we were out after upgrading speakers my wife turned to me and said that sounds good, I can hear the music now! Not sure what you're thinking of but you could get away with not spending a ton of money.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
God damn all of you on this thread. . . . . Every. Single. One. - Sincerely, Devildog's Wallet

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
@MattFX4 and any others who have installed speakers at the helm and "co-pilot" seat, how much difference do you find they make? I've been pondering adding those to my install list, but just wanted some experienced opinions :).
Makes a big difference for multiple reasons.
The forward cockpit speakers are the only ones that can create somewhat of a natural forward image. And your ears are definitely biased/shaped to be more sensitive in the forward direction. Rear speakers don't survive the wind and movement at speed nearly as well as forward mounted speakers.
All boats should have two pair of coaxial speakers within the cockpit. The bow speakers only contribute to the bow occupants. I could live without bow speakers but four cockpit speakers would be a 'must have' for me.
If you have a subwoofer, four cockpit speakers sum for much more surface area and can have a profoundly positive impact on the upper bass tonal construction....which is formed mostly from the upper midbass harmonics. This also allows for a much more seamless integration between subwoofer and satellites.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Worlds of difference!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Makes a big difference for multiple reasons.
The forward cockpit speakers are the only ones that can create somewhat of a natural forward image. And your ears are definitely biased/shaped to be more sensitive in the forward direction. Rear speakers don't survive the wind and movement at speed nearly as well as forward mounted speakers.
All boats should have two pair of coaxial speakers within the cockpit. The bow speakers only contribute to the bow occupants. I could live without bow speakers but four cockpit speakers would be a 'must have' for me.
If you have a subwoofer, four cockpit speakers sum for much more surface area and can have a profoundly positive impact on the upper bass tonal construction....which is formed mostly from the upper midbass harmonics. This also allows for a much more seamless integration between subwoofer and satellites.
Another post. . . . that while reading it, I can literally hear my wallet crying from the other room.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I added mid cabin speakers and love them. World of difference for the driver and observer. Like mentioned above, they are more important than bow speakers, IMHO.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dear @0627Devildog 's wallet... If you like to stay closed, you must keep @0627Devildog from logging in to this site, ever!!
It was all warm and cozy, after a long hiatus . . . . . . . Nestled gently up against my arse. Even after the splurge for a new dock section/parts and Wake Wedge, I still thought I would get out of this season for under $3k. . . . . . O'well, back to work to pay for it all.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's the Can Do Attitude we like around here!!
:winkingthumbsup":winkingthumbsup":winkingthumbsup"

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Derek Fosbury I think it makes a huge difference. Between adding them, and adding an amp to power them, the difference is night and day. I used to not be able to hear the music while cruising 35-40 mph unless it was turned almost all the way up. Even then it wasn't very clear, and didn't sound good. Now I can hear the music no problem, and it sounds good. The first time we were out after upgrading speakers my wife turned to me and said that sounds good, I can hear the music now! Not sure what you're thinking of but you could get away with not spending a ton of money.
I've already got an JL 800/8 and 6 polk MM651UM's sitting waiting to be installed in the stock positions :). Just thinking the extra 2 might be just the ticket to increase MY enjoyment while driving... the passengers will already have it good :)

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Derek Fosbury well there you go. Makes perfect sense to add the additional two since you have an 8 channel amp. Each speaker will have its own channel. You will have to run new wires to new speakers, along with swim deck and rear cockpit since they are wired together.

Emilio22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Despite some of the noise issues at low volume I mentioned in other post, it sounds great. Still have to add sub. Here's a little clip I made with phone. This is at 50% volume.

sounds awesome. still waiting on the final items to come in. itching to get at it.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finally got the nerve up to cut the sub hole. Wasn't bad at all. Used a jigsaw and a carbide blade and it sliced through the Fiberglass like a knife through hot butter.

image.jpeg

The weapon of choice.
image.jpeg

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Got sub in and hooked up, but not getting much out of it. I can hear faint sound coming out of it, but seems like I should be getting more out of it

Gain is set, filter on low pass and set to around 55hz. Not sure what else to check. Only thing I can think is I have my main amp connected to one set of rca outs from the head unit, and I have the sub amp connected to the other set of rca outs from the head unit. The other alternative would be to use only one rca output to sub amp, then use the sub amps output to connect to the other Amp. I wouldn't think that would make a difference though.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The rca outputs on the head unit are for fromt and rear. One possible cause is the balance on the head unit. If that is the cause it would be a good iead to retuned the gain on the amps one the balance is where it needs to be. You may also consider changing the low pass between 80-120 Hz.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ahh. Yeah Odin recommend Turing the lowpass to 120. Weird because if I turn off my main amp powering 6.5's the sub rocks. Will shake the boat. When I turn big amp back on, the sub is lacking. I'll mess around with it.

Mike hauser

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We just had our first trip on our new boat and this stereo has to go for sure. Thinking of going with all JL 7.5s and loosing all the 6.5s. Has any one done It or heard it?

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We just had our first trip on our new boat and this stereo has to go for sure. Thinking of going with all JL 7.5s and loosing all the 6.5s. Has any one done It or heard it?
Funny you mention that, I met a guy on the lake this past weekend with a new AR240 who had just replaced his factory speakers with JL 7.7's, and added an additional tw0 7.7's in the cockpit next to driver and passenger seat. I think he had them running off a JL 6 channel amp. It sounded good for sure, but going to the 7.7's will cost a good bit more than the 6.5's, and you have to cut your holes out to fit the speakers. Honestly, I would either add an amp to power your factory polks, or upgrade to a better 6.5" speaker along with an amp. Adding two speakers in the cockpit will make a huge difference also.

Mike hauser

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In your opinion do you think it is worth the extra time and money to go with the 7.7s? I am going to 100% due the 6.5 JL swap with amp and the extra 2 speaker with in the 2weeks. I am just on the fence with the 7.7JL. My stereo guy says it will be a big difference but there is like you said big COST. The extra time is no problem I have all the tools in my shop.