• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any ideas how to stop this from happening?

JERRY TERRONES

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We just put out boat in for the season on Saturday, the boat is moored/beached all summer long in the water, I keep getting fish(bull heads) into the intakes, happened twice last year and also happened this past weekend obviously they get chewed up but this weekend while leaving the channel where our boat is moored I noticed the rt engine not expelling water and smoke coming out the back, we were is slow no wake mode, so I stopped and pulled out what was left of the fish. Any ideas appreciated.

Jerry

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Funny....we had the same problem until we got an air dock! Got a large catfish stuck in the impeller once! After that happened, my daughter's first job was to do the "Catfish dance" on the swim deck! She'd dance around back there which scared off the fish....never got another one stuck after she started doing that! (I would also give the key a quick blip before giving it a long crank to also give them one last chance to avoid becoming chum)!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like that, "The Catfish Dance".

No fish problems around here that I know of. Grass and other stuff, yes. At least now that my wife has me eating more salad, I'll have something to do with all this green stuff!

Jerry, not that it will help eliminate the fish, but if you use just one engine at a time in the slow-go channels, you'll have a clean one if one gets clogged w fish.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm pretty certain all the fish I've chewed up were catfish, and always at start up when we've not been on the boat for a week or more. I THINK that the catfish like to swim up in the intake and use at as a spot to just hang out near the warmer surface water, and also to catch their prey fish unaware from above....just suck them up and hang out!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are your fish getting in from the intake or the jet side. I always put my gates in reverse when I leave it in the water for the weekend. No problems after 3 seasons.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

JERRY TERRONES

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
their coming in the intake side as I have to remove cleanout plugs to clear them, I was just going to make a habit of pulling the plugs before each trip and see if that helps.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like you could drop a line in the cleanout tubes to catch a little lunch or turn the engines over for fresh sushi. ;)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sounds like you all have invented a new kind of lure...The Intake...just tie that bad boy on and just wait for them to swim in, no escape!! No hooks to worry with, just one big ass fishing pole and some 100 pound test. Sit back, with your favorite cold beverage and wait for the action to begin!! My kind of fishin'!!

JERRY TERRONES

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lol, you guys are too funny, I guess this seems to be normal, I think I will try bumping the starter and see if that scares them away. Thanks for all the input.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lol, you guys are too funny, I guess this seems to be normal, I think I will try bumping the starter and see if that scares them away. Thanks for all the input.
You don't have any kids that will do the "Catfish Dance" and don't want to be seen dancing maniacally on the back of your boat? LOL :D:cool::singing::wacky:

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sorry I wasn't more help. Mine is always on the lift if not in use. Now, I will find the occasional Copperhead laying on the air tanks for the lift...that will definitely get your attention!!! :eek: