• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Charger

RiverRat86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thoughts on this charger? 2020 YAMAHA AR 190. Currently just have one battery but want a two bank charger in case I ever add another one.

Attachments

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Minn Kota is an excellent choice! I use a Minn Kota 3 banks 10 Amp. The price difference between 5 and 10 amp was not significant. Keep in mind the 10 amp charges faster. I opted for the 3 banks because I may add a third battery in the future.
this is the one I bought:

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Minn Kota chargers great. Built like a tank!

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you have your batteries hooked up in parallel, do you need a multi-bank charger? Or would you just hook it up to any of them from a single bank and it will charge all of them?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If you have your batteries hooked up in parallel, do you need a multi-bank charger? Or would you just hook it up to any of them from a single bank and it will charge all of them?
It will charge them all if you have them in parallel, but that's generally not a good idea as the charger will sense when one battery is full and shut off charging and leaving the second battery a bit low all the time. If you have multiple batteries, you should always use a multi-bank charger to ensure they all get charged up properly.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It will charge them all if you have them in parallel, but that's generally not a good idea as the charger will sense when one battery is full and shut off charging and leaving the second battery a bit low all the time. If you have multiple batteries, you should always use a multi-bank charger to ensure they all get charged up properly.
So if you did that with a multi bank charger, would you need to disconnect the batteries from each other first, like through a switch? I was thinking of installing 2 new batteries for new stereo with a circuit breaker, then switch on each one, then into the power bussbar. From the bussbar out to the fuse block and to the backup parallel switch on the main power (to provide backup if starer battery dies for some reason) and the new stereo devices...

Do you guys just charge your batteries after every outing using the power bank and not even bother to hook it up to the engine stator? I heard it can barely handle recharging the starter battery.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So if you did that with a multi bank charger, would you need to disconnect the batteries from each other first, like through a switch?
No, the charger has leads going to all of the batteries and they're each charged independent of the others. That way each one can get a full charge. The positive leads of the charger are on separate batteries, so each battery gets its own charge and it doesn't affect the other - no need for switches or swapping wires.
I was thinking of installing 2 new batteries for new stereo with a circuit breaker, then switch on each one, then into the power bussbar. From the bussbar out to the fuse block and to the backup parallel switch on the main power (to provide backup if starer battery dies for some reason) and the new stereo devices...
Not sure how yours is wired, but if the boat came with dual batteries, you likely don't need to do all that. Just replace the batteries and let the system take care of them. If the house battery gets low from cranking tunes all day and the ride back to the dock is short, the charging system won't get it back to full. That's why we use chargers at home/dock/storage.
Do you guys just charge your batteries after every outing using the power bank and not even bother to hook it up to the engine stator? I heard it can barely handle recharging the starter battery.
The stators actually put out decent amperage and can easily charge the start battery, then switches to the house. But unlike a car, returning to the dock just isn't long enough to get a good charge into the house battery if it's low. If the house is at 50% it'll take hours to charge back to full. It's not like your car where you only start it up and then recharge the battery back to full in 5 mins. All day tunes with an amp will suck a lot of juice out of the house battery, just like if you parked your car and ran the stereo all day, the car probably won't start at the end of the day so you need a boost. Same thing applies to the house battery if used all day.

We have a single smart charger and put it on after a days outing to make sure the house is fully charged for the next day. We'll be putting in a dual-bank charger permanently mounted in the battery area when one goes on sale so both batteries will be well maintained for the winter. Then it'll also keep them in good shape for the summer with after-boating top ups.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No, the charger has leads going to all of the batteries and they're each charged independent of the others. That way each one can get a full charge. The positive leads of the charger are on separate batteries, so each battery gets its own charge and it doesn't affect the other - no need for switches or swapping wires.
I don't understand this part....if you have the batteries hooked up in parallel, isn't putting a charger on one just like putting it on all of them?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I don't understand this part....if you have the batteries hooked up in parallel, isn't putting a charger on one just like putting it on all of them?
Yes that's right. But if you have dual batteries and a dual battery switch, then they are not in parallel. One battery is wired to the house, and the other is wired to the engine starter motors, and they can be charged independently.

If your boat has a single switch and dual batteries in parallel then a dual-bank charger won't charge them independently unless you isolate the two batteries with a switch like you mentioned before. But I don't know what you have in there.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To answer one of your questions, yes I charge after every outing. My stock speakers with no amp didn’t seem to drain the batteries much. I got a amp on two tower speakers now and hang out at the sandbar pretty often. After 5-6 hours at the sandbar my house battery is pretty dead. If you get the charger it mounts in your boat. I run a extension cord out to boat with a outdoor power strip and put a box fan in the boat to dry it out, hook up battery charger, and recharge cordless tool batteries I use for my inflator. Only thing I have to put in/take out is the cord and the fan.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes that's right. But if you have dual batteries and a dual battery switch, then they are not in parallel. One battery is wired to the house, and the other is wired to the engine starter motors, and they can be charged independently.

If your boat has a single switch and dual batteries in parallel then a dual-bank charger won't charge them independently unless you isolate the two batteries with a switch like you mentioned before. But I don't know what you have in there.
Thanks. I was planning on leaving the start/existing house since they're older stock batteries, and add 2 new batteries for the stereo. If I put a switch on each and throw a dual bank charger on it, that should be good. When the current house dies, I'll re-wire to use the 2 new ones for current house as well and as backup starter.

To answer one of your questions, yes I charge after every outing. My stock speakers with no amp didn’t seem to drain the batteries much. I got a amp on two tower speakers now and hang out at the sandbar pretty often. After 5-6 hours at the sandbar my house battery is pretty dead. If you get the charger it mounts in your boat. I run a extension cord out to boat with a outdoor power strip and put a box fan in the boat to dry it out, hook up battery charger, and recharge cordless tool batteries I use for my inflator. Only thing I have to put in/take out is the cord and the fan.
How many batteries do you have with your amp/speakers that lasts 5-6 hours? Just 1? How low does it get in that amount of time?

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm looking for a battery charger as well and Ultimately I would like a port on the outside of the boat so I can easily plug into shore power. I'll pick up the Minn kota 3 bank 15 amp charger as it looks like it's build well and does a good job.

Any recommendations on an outlet on the outside of the boat for shore power? Any pics of someone who has a similar install? Any thoughts on location of the plug for shore power

and lastly, I am thinking about having a Marine electronics person do the install, but he is backed up for a while. I am pretty competent with projects but I have no idea how or where to drill holes in my boats.

Is this a pretty easy install with basic tools? I realize I would have to cut a some sort of hole on the outside of my boat.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what I am doing.

On board charger.

NOCO through Hull Plug

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This is what I am doing.

On board charger.
I've ordered the same one but 12 amp dual bank as I don't need high current. I considered the NOCO brand, but once I found out the ProMariners can push all 12 amps to the house battery after the start is full, sold me on it.

Not cutting any holes in my new boat, and we don't slip, so no need for a through-hull for us.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@212s I hear ya about cutting holes, it just looks cool and I don't have to take mooring cover off to charge it. May make it convenient for us when we dock at Marina's overnight when vacationing.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m going to mount the NOCO on the front wall of the battery compartment so I don’t have to pull the cord through the seat opening. What is the best way to drill through the fiberglass so that I don’t cause splintering? I’ll slip the retractable extension cord from the dock down through my cover at the wakeboard tower. I have a 242SE. Thanks.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks. I was planning on leaving the start/existing house since they're older stock batteries, and add 2 new batteries for the stereo. If I put a switch on each and throw a dual bank charger on it, that should be good. When the current house dies, I'll re-wire to use the 2 new ones for current house as well and as backup starter.

How many batteries do you have with your amp/speakers that lasts 5-6 hours? Just 1? How low does it get in that amount of time?
You should already have a DVSR switch that isolates the batteries when not charging. There are a few ways you can set it up to disconnect them when you are charging with shore power.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You should already have a DVSR switch that isolates the batteries when not charging. There are a few ways you can set it up to disconnect them when you are charging with shore power.

Thanks that's a good link. Pretty easy mod to move the DVSR to the switched side of the house switch to disconnect them when the house is off. I think with that and my other switches I should be able to accommodate my setup

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@bobholthaus - Where are you going to drill? I'd like to add an external port as well, just not sure where.

As far as drilling through fiberglass there are some posts on this forum. I recall folks taping the entire area before drilling (blue painters tape). I think they used just a regular hole saw blade. I would use a mask and glasses of some sort just to be safe.