• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Garmin GPSMAP 86sci InReach

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was considering picking up a Garmin InReach mini for a possible Bimini run and saw the Garmin GPSMAP 86sci.

Anyone have any experience with this new handheld? For the extra $250 you get a larger unit with a screen and Bluechart g3 coastal charts with integrated Navionics data and still have the InReach capabilities including SOS feature. I would imagine the GPS would be fully functional when I don’t have a subscription for the InReach functions???

Might make for a great contingency GPS for only an additional $250. Any thoughts?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was considering picking up a Garmin InReach mini for a possible Bimini run and saw the Garmin GPSMAP 86sci.

Anyone have any experience with this new handheld? For the extra $250 you get a larger unit with a screen and Bluechart g3 coastal charts with integrated Navionics data and still have the InReach capabilities including SOS feature. I would imagine the GPS would be fully functional when I don’t have a subscription for the InReach functions???

Might make for a great contingency GPS for only an additional $250. Any thoughts?
The 86sci looks like a nice unit but to save a little money for something you might only use once or twice a year I would checkout the Garmin inReach Explorer, Garmin inReach Explorer®+ | Satellite Communicator with TOPO Maps it only costs $450 and does most if not all of what the 86sci does. Garmin updated the Explorer after they bought inReach and the inReach Explorer is what many of us have, our inReach Explorer is just in a smaller case.

From personal experience I can say the Explore when paired with a cellphone is a great unit to use for communicate with others, a lot easier to compose messages on a cellphone than on the Explorer itself. Here is a write up of my adventures on the return leg of my 2019 Exuma trip, https://jetboaters.net/threads/exuma-bahamas-trip-2019-less-then-a-week-out.22613/page-3 , the Explorer was a vital piece of equipment and I fully believe if I didn't have the Explorer the wife would have completely freaked out.

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I picked up an Explorer+ on eBay for $350 in preparation for this summers bimini trip. Looks brand new.

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like the explorer might be a good compromise between the mini and the 86sci although I don’t really need topo maps in which case the mini would probably suit my needs just fine. I guess what you’re really paying for in the newer 86sci is the bluechart g3 maps with integrated navionics data, slightly larger screen, and it floats. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
One major difference between the mini and the larger units is that there is no powered cradle available for the mini.

I have a mini, use it mostly for backpacking and solo motorcycle trips. The battery seems to last me about 8 days without a need to recharge and 30% remaining. I check the weather every day and send my position about every hour.

As far as maps, I still prefer navionics on my phone. It seems like the cheapest means of keeping maps up to date, so personally I would not bother with the 86sci.

I believe the explorer + and se+ are compatible with the powered mount.

Last edited:

mrdubean1

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought the Garmin 86sc, smaller screen compared to my older 441s, but it does the job. Plenty of features and plotting options. So far, Im happy with the 86sc. Battery lasts forever.

Does anyone know how to change the color of the teal blue line, to something darker? The teal blue line is the tracing line, when you turn on the unit, where it tracks your progress?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Blowing the dust off this one. Looking at purchasing the 86sci for our trip across South coast of New England in May, bringing the catamaran up the Hudson to the West Coast of New England, Lake Champlain. Any info on the unit, good and bad is welcome, thanks.

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Blowing the dust off this one. Looking at purchasing the 86sci for our trip across South coast of New England in May, bringing the catamaran up the Hudson to the West Coast of New England, Lake Champlain. Any info on the unit, good and bad is welcome, thanks.
I've had my 66i (the "land" version of the 86 series) for several years now. I wouldn't go offshore without it. I use it to "leave breadcrumbs" (at 10 minute intervals) on my personal inReach page, so my wife and other family members can follow me in near-real-time, even when I'm out of cellphone range. Plus, if I need to extend my trip, or if I'm bringing home a tuna for dinner, I can message my wife, even when I'm 30 miles offshore. When my kid spends a few days 100+ miles offshore, crewing on a sport-fishing yacht, he takes my 66i so we can stay in touch with him.

The 66i is also my primary turn-by-turn navigation device when I'm motorcycle-touring (using Garmin City Navigator maps) — and I leave breadcrumbs for my wife when I'm doing that too. I also use it for hang-gliding, in case I end up landing somewhere without cellphone reception (and the 66i's glide-ratio calculation is very useful).

I also have a Class B+ AIS transponder on both of my boats, so my family can follow me that way too — but that only works when I'm in VHF distance to shore.

I bought my first inReach communicator over a decade ago, back when it was a DeLorme product. Knock on wood, I haven't (yet) had to call in with an off-grid emergency for myself or my companions, but that peace of mind is priceless. In the meantime, breadcrumbing and two-way messaging from anywhere in the world makes the subscription price worth it.

Interestingly, I've had the same inReach phone number since 2012, even though Garmin (and DeLorme before that) specifically say that your phone-number assignment is temporary. My wife and kids store my inReach number on their phones, so they can easily initiate conversations with me, even if I haven't messaged them first. During the beginning of the pandemic, I paused my inReach subscription for almost a year while I stopped doing things that had a higher-than-normal risk of putting me in the hospital (and back then, I hadn't yet taken on fishing offshore). I was surprised that my original inReach number was still assigned to me when I unpaused my subscription.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've had my 66i (the "land" version of the 86 series) for several years now. I wouldn't go offshore without it. I use it to "leave breadcrumbs" (at 10 minute intervals) on my personal inReach page, so my wife and other family members can follow me in near-real-time, even when I'm out of cellphone range. Plus, if I need to extend my trip, or if I'm bringing home a tuna for dinner, I can message my wife, even when I'm 30 miles offshore. When my kid spends a few days 100+ miles offshore, crewing on a sport-fishing yacht, he takes my 66i so we can stay in touch with him.

The 66i is also my primary turn-by-turn navigation device when I'm motorcycle-touring (using Garmin City Navigator maps) — and I leave breadcrumbs for my wife when I'm doing that too. I also use it for hang-gliding, in case I end up landing somewhere without cellphone reception (and the 66i's glide-ratio calculation is very useful).

I also have a Class B+ AIS transponder on both of my boats, so my family can follow me that way too — but that only works when I'm in VHF distance to shore.

I bought my first inReach communicator over a decade ago, back when it was a DeLorme product. Knock on wood, I haven't (yet) had to call in with an off-grid emergency for myself or my companions, but that peace of mind is priceless. In the meantime, breadcrumbing and two-way messaging from anywhere in the world makes the subscription price worth it.

Interestingly, I've had the same inReach phone number since 2012, even though Garmin (and DeLorme before that) specifically say that your phone-number assignment is temporary. My wife and kids store my inReach number on their phones, so they can easily initiate conversations with me, even if I haven't messaged them first. During the beginning of the pandemic, I paused my inReach subscription for almost a year while I stopped doing things that had a higher-than-normal risk of putting me in the hospital (and back then, I hadn't yet taken on fishing offshore). I was surprised that my original inReach number was still assigned to me when I unpaused my subscription.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Good information.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

That was a very thorough and informative reply!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Thanks again, wife just ordered this one after reading your review. Garmin GPSMAP 86sci Marine handheld GPS | The GPS Store

Screenshot_20240121-103946_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks again, wife just ordered this one after reading your review. Garmin GPSMAP 86sci Marine handheld GPS | The GPS Store
Cool beans!

One thing to keep in mind is that messaging via inReach isn't as immediate as it is over mobile phone. With a clear sky, messages are delivered within a minute, but in the RF shadow of any cover (trees, houses, etc.), message delivery can take tens of minutes, because the Iridium satellites are in constant motion at low-earth orbits, so moments of clear signal to/from a passing satellite might be scarce when obstacles are blocking the sky. For example, when I'm inside the cabin of my pilothouse boat, message delivery often takes two or three minutes.

When you send your first test message after you activate your subscription, be prepared to wait 10 or 20 minutes. I'm not sure why the first message after a long period of disuse takes forever... perhaps because the unit has to update its "map" of the satellite constellation. But after your message goes through, the rest should be quicker. Therefore, before heading out on a trip, if you haven't used the unit in a while, send a test message or a breadcrumb (tracking point) to kick it in gear, so to speak.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do these units have the ability to set up a geo fence? I want to be able to set this up with an audible alarm while anchored at night and sleeping to alert me if the anchor slips.

Can the unit be in use whilst re charging the internal battery?

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do these units have the ability to set up a geo fence? I want to be able to set this up with an audible alarm while anchored at night and sleeping to alert me if the anchor slips.
There's a (very basic) anchor-drag alarm. You can set a radius (distance), and that's it. Therefore, it's best to enable the alarm right when you drop the anchor.

Fortunately, you can create profiles on Garmin handhelds, so I have a profile called "Boat" that surfaces all of the marine-specific controls (like the anchor alarm) to the top-level UI, which is a carousel of pages. (I also have profiles for kayaking, flying, motorcycling, etc.).

I wish the anchor-drag alarm on the handhelds allowed me to manually set the centerpoint, like I can on my Garmin MFDs. But in practice, it's not that big of a deal.

Garmin MFDs also allow you set alarms on polygonal boundaries that you draw onscreen, but the handhelds don't have that feature.

Weirdly, Garmin handhelds have a Proximity Alarm feature that allows you to define a radius around waypoints. You'd think that you could drop a few waypoints to create a kludgy "boundary" of sorts — but the Proximity Alarm only goes off if you enter the waypoint's alarm radius at a speed of 5+ mph. 🤷 Even more strange are Approaching and Leaving Alarms, which go off if you enter or leave the alarm radius regardless of speed. This would seem like an ideal way to set an anchor-drag alarm after you've finished anchoring. Unfortunately, Approaching and Leaving Alarms only work on POIs, not waypoints — and you need a computer to create and transfer POIs to Garmin handhelds! 🤦‍♂️

Can the unit be in use whilst re charging the internal battery?
Yes. Charge via USB, or buy a RAM-compatible charging cradle for it.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you have a cell signal, this app works well.
Great recommendation!

I think @FSH 210 Sport was considering the inReach handheld for emergency situations. (He and I DM'd about the use of inReach during emergency anchoring/overnighting.) In those kinds of situations, you might want to use the anchor-drag alarm on the inReach instead of running down your mobile phone battery or your boat's house battery. The 66 & 86-series handhelds will go days on battery, while a phone running GPS might have half a day of charge available if you don't have an easy way to charge it back up.

With that said, another phone-based option is the Simrad app, which is a great app to have if your boat has a Simrad MFD. The Simrad app has an anchor-drag alarm that you can set and use independently of the anchor-drag alarm on the paired MFD(s).

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Recieved today. The anchor drag alarm.