• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How are you guys removing/replacing spark plugs on the 1.8's?

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Decided to try doing my own maintenance this year and I quickly noticed that after I removed the plug caps, the holes were not only deeper than I thought but narrower. I have an extension for the socket wrench, but actual sockets themselves are too thick. I almost couldn't get the one socket out as it got wedged in the hole. What tool is everyone using to remove and install their spark plugs, i.e. some magnetic plug sock?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I used a regular auto plug wrench with the rubber piece on the inside that the plug snaps into along with an extension. REMEBER when you put them back in, only go finger tight plus 1/4-1/2 turn with the wrench. It will feel like they are not tight enough but they are. I personally used anti-seize but that is a debated topic.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My spark plug socket set all have the rubber grommet in them to retain and protect the porcelain on the plug, and I haven't tried the plugs yet on the 240, but with an extension and the socket, I am expecting it to fit. A spark plug socket is thinner than a deep socket, maybe that is the issue your having.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use the t-handle that came with the boat. It looks cheap but works nicely and you can feel the rings on the plugs crush.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use an automobile spark plug socket with the rubber grommet. I did have to run to Lowes for an extension, I was surprised how deep they were as well.