• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New JL Stereo - disappointed, what next?

OHJetBoater11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat is a 2023 AR250. I took it to a great local audio shop who replaced all 6 factory speakers with JL Audio M6 speakers. They also added a JL Audio m6 10inch sub behind the captains chair. Everything wired to to JL Audio amp (XDM1000/5). Everything is wired into the stock Connext screen head unit.

Took the boat out today and I’m disappointed. Almost no bass even with the bass knob turned all the way. Highs are not clear. I was playing through Spotify over Bluetooth. My Spotify is set to download/stream “very high” quality. I trust the installer, he knows what he is doing.

What is limiting me? Headunit? Lack of EQ? I feel like I spent a ton of money on good equipment but it’s not sounding that way.
Any advice is appreciated.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Highly recommend upgrading your head unit. I have a very similar setup and run a Fusion RA770. Not only will you get better control of zones, you can hone in the sound.

OHJetBoater11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Highly recommend upgrading your head unit. I have a very similar setup and run a Fusion RA770. Not only will you get better control of zones, you can hone in the sound.
I’ve seen your setup and it’s very nice. Could you snap a pic of where you mounted the head unit? Also what about the swim platform remote?

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put it where the cell phone holder was. I also have a Fusion ERX400 for the rear controls. You have to keep the OEM rear controls plugged in and tucked inside the hull; if you don’t, the connext screen will show an error. IMG_0526.jpeg

vikingknut

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You mention that the installer is reputable, so I assume the following is true. I put in an 800 watt x 8 amp. I bridged 2 of the channels for the sub to get 200 watts to it. A subwoofer of 10 inches requires more than 100 watts to move enough air. The other 6 speakers are wired at 100 watts each. Other than having enough wattage to the subwoofer, you also need to set the crossovers properly so that the appropriate bass is being sent to the subwoofer and not too much to the other speakers. On mine (Kicker), there are test tones you play to set that up correctly. Lastly, hopefully the JL subwoofer is an IB (infinite baffle) model and not the one that is meant for specific sized enclosers. Either way, you will never get as much bass out of an IB type subwoofer as compared to one mounted to an enclosure. To make matters worse, unlike a car or room, you are moving air into a big environment (the outdoors), so bass will be limited in comparison. I have mine using the original head unit and I am very happy with both the sound and the bass. Of course, more wattage and another 10 inch subwoofer or 12 inch subwoofer will provide even better results. But I feel my setup pounds bass pretty darn good and the additional wattage requires a bigger battery and onboard charging like a Noco (which I have) as your boat's stator will fail to keep up for lengthy jamming while the engines are off. Even with the engines on, the house battery can't keep up very well at idle.

vikingknut

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BTW, the equipment you bought is best-in-class, so that is most likely not the problem. However, if they didn't mess with the hi-pass and low-pass filters on the JL amp, that may be the problem. They clearly had to install new wiring for the subwoofer, but did they use the existing wiring for the other speakers? If so, some of them are setup in parallel across a single pair of channels which may cause problems. All new wiring provides better results, with only 4 channels remaining after the subwoofer, you have to parallelize or serialize at least 4 of the speakers.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Boat is a 2023 AR250. I took it to a great local audio shop who replaced all 6 factory speakers with JL Audio M6 speakers. They also added a JL Audio m6 10inch sub behind the captains chair. Everything wired to to JL Audio amp (XDM1000/5). Everything is wired into the stock Connext screen head unit.

Took the boat out today and I’m disappointed. Almost no bass even with the bass knob turned all the way. Highs are not clear. I was playing through Spotify over Bluetooth. My Spotify is set to download/stream “very high” quality. I trust the installer, he knows what he is doing.

What is limiting me? Headunit? Lack of EQ? I feel like I spent a ton of money on good equipment but it’s not sounding that way.
Did you go with a M3 or M6 sub? Did they run all new wires? If it’s a M6 and they ran new wires it has to be the tuning. You should have 4 speakers running off 2 channels. 2 speakers off 2 channels, and then the sub on the the sub channel. I have one 10” M6 sub and it hits plenty hard, only powering off two channels bridged off of a JL 8 channel amp so your sub should have more power than I have. I will tell you when I hooked mine up it was the same way, I took it in to have it tuned.

Last edited:

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

2 things. 1. Make sure the volume is up on your phone. I've dont a 100 times my self. 2. Your gains may not be set up corectly on the amp. Should look something like this.
BTW, the equipment you bought is best-in-class, so that is most likely not the problem. However, if they didn't mess with the hi-pass and low-pass filters on the JL amp, that may be the problem. They clearly had to install new wiring for the subwoofer, but did they use the existing wiring for the other speakers? If so, some of them are setup in parallel across a single pair of channels which may cause problems. All new wiring provides better results, with only 4 channels remaining after the subwoofer, you have to parallelize or serialize at least 4 of the speakers.
The gains, low pass/high pass or what i have done...cell phone volume is low sounds to be the problem.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Scrap it and go wetsounds 🤣😅

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Scrap it and go wetsounds 🤣😅
Having a dealer do my WetSounds upgrade next Monday, hope not to have the same issues, I did the last install (21, 19S) myself and was happy with results, just don't have the time this time around.