• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing silicone around intake duct. Question.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To get the grate off do I just need to take off the 7 bolts on the intake grate or do I need to pull the pump as well?

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Once you take out the bolts that hold on the grate, the grate will still be stuck to the boat by the silicone. It may take a little prying to free the grate, but you don't need to take the pump housing off.

When reassembling, remember to use the silicone with special attention to water-flow into the pumps so as not to create the potential of cavitation....

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once you take out the bolts that hold on the grate, the grate will still be stuck to the boat by the silicone. It may take a little prying to free the grate, but you don't need to take the pump housing off.

When reassembling, remember to use the silicone with special attention to water-flow into the pumps so as not to create the potential of cavitation....
That's exactly what I thought. Thanks @Magic! That was crazy fast, I love this board. Second time today I've received great advice.

I'm not having any issues with the silicone just trying to do a little preventative maintenance. I figure the boat is 5 years old and it's probably just a matter of time before the silicone fails. What do you guys think replace it or wait until I have some cavitation.

Cheers!

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's exactly what I thought. Thanks @Magic! That was crazy fast, I love this board. Second time today I've received great advice.

I'm not having any issues with the silicone just trying to do a little preventative maintenance. I figure the boat is 5 years old and it's probably just a matter of time before the silicone fails. What do you guys think replace it or wait until I have some cavitation.

Cheers!
We have a saying here in Arizona...... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

We also have another saying....... "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
definitely wait until you have problems,
be careful with the wording in this area, the picture below is of the intake duct, the intake grate is the long rectangle piece not picture here, it had already been removed (I couldn't find a picture of it quickly), it should require you to remove three bolts pictured already removed (although the service manual shows only two, a forward and aft). Removing the grate is easy although the bolts go into the hull with locktite so just be gentle not to strip the heads or the hull, it a great way to get easy access to the front of your impellers. Only remove the duct and the six bolts shown in the picture if you have big problems.

upload_2014-5-16_22-37-36.png

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Three quick no's. Maybe I'll reconsider. I wet slip my boat so I'd like to address any potential problems before I put it in the water for the season.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"Grate" point @Scottintexas Be sure to only take out the bolts that hold on the grate, and not the ride plate, unless you need to take that off for some reason, but that is extreme.....

In addition, some have removed the grate and polished the strakes to allow better waterflow, and gain that extra 0.00843 furlongs per fortnight.....

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Chillypilot I can't remember how long you've had your boat, have you run it on the water yet? if so and you were turning 10k rpm and going 45-50mph or whatever that is in Canadian speed I wouldn't worry about it at all, I might crawl under with a flashlight to look up into the grate to see what your impellers look like just for reference and to see if there is any obvious missing or loose silicone, it's hard to judge them on looks as it takes a magic ding to effect performance, mine look terrible but I have no issues, you can see mine here https://jetboaters.net/threads/cavitation-missing-sealant-in-pump-grate.884/

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas that's good advice. I think I'll save myself a little work and just take a closer look and go from there. I bought my boat used last year, shortly after I got yamahamodificationitis. Doctor said there's no cure:) Thanks again for your help today x2

Cheers!

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The doctor was almost correct - there is a cure - sell your boat. Then you develop "Noboatitis", which @txav8r can tell you is worse than modificationitis...

JETBOATERS.net has been clearly linked by the CDC to make both conditions worse! :)

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Cheers!
No worries! Our boat is 9 years old and we did the silicone re-bedding thing once........ 8 years ago.....no problems. Still makes 10K and ~50 mph so its all good.....still!:winkingthumbsup"