• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX-210 - clogged water passages - Saltwater use

Scott - Hilton Head

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had my 2013 Yamaha SX-210 in for service and the repair center (Authorized) did a water test after work was completed. They said the intake water passages were clogged causing the engines to overheat quickly. The repair center has given me a quote for $3200 to remove both engines, remove exhaust heads and clean each passage by drilling out each passage (carefully) and then flushing remainder to clear - then reassembling. Other option they say is to replace both engines at $10K per engine plus 8 hours labor. Clearly not an option for me?!?! Is there an easy way to clear these passages or remove built up sand/salt myself? If not, is this estimate reasonable or should I have work completed elsewhere? Thanks very much.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What's are the symptoms right now?

Scott - Hilton Head

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The repair center tech said that both engines were overheating before he could even get away from the dock. I've e-mailed today to have them verify the thermostat's are correctly functioning. This repair center is over an hour from my home so not easy to go by and question them or see problem first-hand. Thanks very much for any advice you can give.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So it was not doing this before with you? With did you take it to the shop?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with the bummer, was your boat showing in symptoms before this, unfortunately we've heard to many bad stories of service departments doing unneeded work,

If you haven't yet be sure to watch the video in our FAQ tab at the top of the page about how the cooling water flows in your engine, it's very helpful,

When they say intake water passages, I would try to have them tell me where because it could be anywhere from the strainer at the jet to the exit,

This is a write up of I believe what they are saying your problem is from an old YJB post,
http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40908&start=15

It could also be the passages around the head which we be more difficult, I remember seeing a youtube of somebody showing the head on a jet ski, I'll try to find it,

I wouldn't be paying $3k for a boat the previously wasn't showing any symptoms but I would have taken my boat to service department, time is money so it's hard to say what yours is worth,

exhuast.jpg

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are you the original owner?
did you leave the boat in salt water more than a week a time?
Did you flush the motors after use ?
How many hours on the boat?

Maybe a catch tank and try cycling a solution through of something that dissolves salt deposits use an electric 12v pump instead of hooking it to house water. The pump should be rated for a high water flow

If your handy you could unbolt the manifold look at how much salt buildup is in there. Maybe buy new manifolds if they are clogged or try running some solution through the removed manifold that will dissolve the salt if that is even the problem.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Could be some weeds they caught, then started tearing into the boat. Much more investigation needed before authorizing big money repairs.

Scott - Hilton Head

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No problems with engines before, but last run in October 2017. In late March 2018, I had trailered it to repair center in Savannah, GA due to sticking throttle and steering controls. It's been there since.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
http://www.crankygypsy.com/mechaniac/mr1flush.htm

I read your original posts in the other thread. do you go in salt and what's your flush procedure (be very detailed)? I'd personally bring it home and tinker with it. once you rule out the thermostats (remove them) and flow, check the thermosensors with YDS and an infrared thermometer to try to determine if a closed loop flush could help.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No problems with engines before, but last run in October 2017. In late March 2018, I had trailered it to repair center in Savannah, GA due to sticking throttle and steering controls. It's been there since.
Do you ever flush the boat with salt away or similar flushing solutions?

I'm struggling with a shop that says a boat needs new engines when you took it in for sticking throttles....

Scott - Hilton Head

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use Salt Away to clean the boat after use, but used only freshwater to flush the engines. When flushing, I would attach water hose to outlets and turn on the water and let it run, then turn on each engine and let it run with water flowing through. Then turn off engine and then turn off water. Probably ran about 10-15 minutes of water through each engine. During the summer months, the boat is stored inside a boat storage warehouse (out of the water) and during the offseason covered and stored outside. The throttle and steering problems have supposedly been corrected and now this problem came up during on-water test. Truthfully, not too happy that repair center has taken so long on this.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your procedure is in reverse, Scott. You want to start the engine, then turn on the water and let it run. Once you are done, turn off the water, then turn off the engine. Thing to remember is to always have the engine on when turning the water on and off.

The fact that you did flush every time, and that you never had an overheating problem makes me suspicious of the shop. Pickup your boat and go elsewhere next time.

-Greg