• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 242x - How Long Can Stereo Run

Tahoe242X

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Morning Everyone,

“New” owner of an ‘18 242X and loving it so far!

I’m sure this has already been posted but I can’t find the info using the search function. Curious how long the stereo system can run while in float mode with engines off, or what battery voltage will still give ample starting power.

I carry a jumper pack just in case but would rather not have to use it, and fortunately haven’t had to (yet)! Do the solar panels really charge sufficiently?

Thanks in advance - hope your water is as clear as ours this weekend!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I carry a jumper pack just in case but would rather not have to use it, and fortunately haven’t had to (yet)! Do the solar panels really charge sufficiently?
What power is that solar charger? If your music gets blasted the way mine does, seems unlikely a 5W to 10W charger can put that back into the battery at the same rate. :)

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Assuming your 2018 is the same as my 2019, you have separate Start and House batteries. So even if you kill the House battery by using the stereo all day, you will still have a full Start battery get you moving again.

The solar panel will first charge the Start battery and after that is full, it will charge the House battery.

As @Julian said, if you find that your House battery isn't lasting long enough for you, you can always replace that battery with a larger one.

Tahoe242X

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I must need to require. Shutting down my start battery with the house on, I kept getting the voltage chime for the start battery. Am I missing something to kill that?

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Assuming your 2018 is the same as my 2019, you have separate Start and House batteries. So even if you kill the House battery by using the stereo all day, you will still have a full Start battery get you moving again.

The solar panel will first charge the Start battery and after that is full, it will charge the House battery.

As @Julian said, if you find that your House battery isn't lasting long enough for you, you can always replace that battery with a larger one.
@Tahoe242X ....and if doing as Julian suggests (like) and getting a bigger house battery then IMO get a better one too - at least an AGM or best of all an AGM TPPL. If you got a TPPl you could even stay the same battery size. For example a series 24 TPPL will IMO outperform a flooded series 31 and an AGM series 27. :cool:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Save this chart on your phone - it's what I use. If you stay away from anything sub 12v, you'll enjoy a nice long battery life. Depending on how the previous owner of your boat may have treated the battery system, you may consider just buying two new batteries now.

1596631762525.png

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Save this chart on your phone - it's what I use. If you stay away from anything sub 12v, you'll enjoy a nice long battery life. Depending on how the previous owner of your boat may have treated the battery system, you may consider just buying two new batteries now.

View attachment 128494
@anmut .....excellent! Agree 100%.....and charge to 100% each time. :cool:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I must need to require. Shutting down my start battery with the house on, I kept getting the voltage chime for the start battery. Am I missing something to kill that?
Are you relying on your solar panels to charge your batteries? Some have discovered their panels were not working (bad connections, bad panels etc).
You should never have a low voltage alarm on the start battery - that means your battery isn't:
  1. Getting charged by the stators
  2. Getting charged by the solar panels
  3. Perhaps your house battery is cross connected to the start and both are draining to a low level
  4. Perhaps your battery isn't holding a charge (take it out and get it tested for free at all major auto parts stores)
These boats are sensitive to low voltage. Mine stays connected to shore power whenever it isn't in use.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Are you relying on your solar panels to charge your batteries? Some have discovered their panels were not working (bad connections, bad panels etc).
You should never have a low voltage alarm on the start battery - that means your battery isn't:
  1. Getting charged by the stators
  2. Getting charged by the solar panels
  3. Perhaps your house battery is cross connected to the start and both are draining to a low level
  4. Perhaps your battery isn't holding a charge (take it out and get it tested for free at all major auto parts stores)
These boats are sensitive to low voltage. Mine stays connected to shore power whenever it isn't in use.
I think what he's saying is what also happens on my boat:

1) turn off one battery (such as start) at the sandbar.
2) Go into "float mode" with Connext screen on.
3) Connext reads voltage on house battery, no voltage on start batter, starts alarming.
4) After silencing the alarm for the 10th time you get frustrated and turn the start battery switch back on so Connext will STFU.

The only way around this that I've found is to either:
1) Keep both batteries on. NBD as you're not drawing from the start when playing music anyway.
2) Let the boat power the Connext screen off, switch off the start battery, then turn the stereo on just from the transom head unit.

1500 watts of stereo at the sandbar and I've never seen my house battery go below 50% for a few hours of partying. I always keep both batteries on, never had an issue with a dead battery or non-starting boat.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Your solar panels will do little to nothing while out on the water using the stereo. They are pretty much a trickle charger that will maintain your batteries if you keep your boat parked in full sun when not in use.

I have never switched off my start battery while in float mode, no need to if batteries are wired correctly. After a 6-8 day on the water with the volume somewhere between 10-50% (based on song - some of my daughters music sucks), I have never had my house battery drain below 70% or so, and my start battery voltage doesn't change. Leaving both on draws absolutely no power from the start battery at all.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Agree 100% with @F.M. I've never turned off my batteries while floating, which is why I was asking the questions. But perhaps @anmut is correct and he's not saying his start battery is LOW, just that it alarms if he turns it off????

Need more data.....

Tahoe242X

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Agree 100% with @F.M. I've never turned off my batteries while floating, which is why I was asking the questions. But perhaps @anmut is correct and he's not saying his start battery is LOW, just that it alarms if he turns it off????

Need more data.....
Exactly...it reads it as a “dead” battery when switched off but then when it’s turned back “on” it is fine. And yea...the STFU option is to just turn it on.

It is interesting you do not believe I should be drawing down my start battery when playing tunes. The meter on the dash show both anywhere from 13-14.4 volts upon arrival, and both trickle down to around 11.8-12.4v at the lowest I’ve seen after ~ 2-3 hours. I’d think the start battery should remain higher than the house if it weren’t trickling down?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Exactly...it reads it as a “dead” battery when switched off but then when it’s turned back “on” it is fine. And yea...the STFU option is to just turn it on.

It is interesting you do not believe I should be drawing down my start battery when playing tunes. The meter on the dash show both anywhere from 13-14.4 volts upon arrival, and both trickle down to around 11.8-12.4v at the lowest I’ve seen after ~ 2-3 hours. I’d think the start battery should remain higher than the house if it weren’t trickling down?
There is (not sure its been fixed yet) a problem with the E-Series (and perhaps other 24' models) where the house and start bateries always show the same voltage (even though they are not). https://jetboaters.net/threads/fix-for-connext-battery-voltage-issue-confirmed.11381/

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
All, I’ve been doing the following to listen to music without the draw of the Connext screen when anchored:
1. Turn the key off. Connext and radio shut down.
2. Go back to swim platform radio and hit power on.
3.Sound fully powers up but Connext stays off.

If you really felt compelled to turn off your start battery you could now do it without the annoying beep.

As a side note, I also learned that if you turn the anchor light on before turning the key off, anchor light will stay lit with Connext screen off

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Posting just as an FYI as to what I have and do. So I have 2 Interstate HD24-DP Marine batteries that are rated at 64 Amp Hrs . Have been in boat since new (2015) and mine is an SX 240 so I do not have any solar panels.

I run 2 amps for 2 subs and 8 speakers, -1600 watts total, at about 50-60 % of volume and we usually float 3-5 hours depending various things, so we are pulling some power.

I always turn off the start battery with the switch and only leave the house battery on when floating. I have never had an issue with the stereo shutting down.

I have an on board battery tender l always plug in when done for the day so the batteries are always fully charged when going out the next time.

I have heard that the stator is not optimum at keeping the batteries charged unless you are running the motors allot? (no proof) So with that being said, if you are floating a good portion of the day and then do not run the motors much after, the batteries could be under charged to start your day?

Also like several members mentioned, your batteries could just need replaced, If not taken care of prpperly, I have seen 2-3 year old batteries fail.

Or battery hook up wiring is not correct as also mentioned, seen that multiple times on here.

Good Luck!

LauraSurferGal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have the same issue on my 2019 242. I have to keep them both on to play the music but I’ve noticed only the house battery drains.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the same issue on my 2019 242. I have to keep them both on to play the music but I’ve noticed only the house battery drains.
Thats probably because you have an isolater / DVSR set up wherein your start battery is kept isolated from accessory loads and is solely for engine starting. Your house battery is for all your accessory loads like lighting and music.

Once the engines are running and the DVSR see’s a high enough voltage (13.2V) on the start battery it will close the switch paralleling the start and house batteries and begin charging the house battery. When you stop the engines and are floating and the voltage drops to 12.7 the DVSR will open the switch isolating the start and house batteries.