• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR195 performance issue

jwiddifield

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello, I am new to boating so please be gentle... I purchased a 2019 Yamaha AR195 with approximately 51hr engine time. Since this was an out of state purchase, the seller face-timed me this last weekend going through the boats functions. While underway I noticed that they were causing along at 38mph. So I bring the boat home, put it into the water and I can only achieve 22mph on a very smooth lake. The boat ideals normally, is very responsive, and make no weird noises. The display shows a top speed of 48.1mph being achieved at some-point in time. Is there possibly a governor or speed limiter that I am unaware of? Could the speedometer need calibration? Again, being new to boats, I am at a complete loss. Thanks!

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
:Welcome: to the forum! Congrats on the new boat.

The speedos do fail, it's a paddle wheel that can get gummed up with weeds or debris.

Can you use your phone to determine true speed?

If confirmed that you are not getting 45mph, then:

What is the max rpm you saw?
Have you checked the jet pump impeller for obstructions?
Did you try to reinstall the clean out plug?
Checked the air filter?
Any collapsed air intake hoses?
New fuel?
Clean plugs?

You should be able to get 7500-7600 rpm at 45-47 mph at sea level.

Last edited:

jwiddifield

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for you reply. I downloaded the Speedometer app and the boat does top out at 42mph with 3 people. The only issue is that the internal display still states 22mph, so there must be a calibration issue, or just a bad component. Any ideas, I would love to here them, but if not, that so much. John

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
With the boat out of the water, does the speedo paddle spin freely?

Does the depth gage work properly ? (They are built into the same thru hull).

Not a cheap part, but simple to replace.

jwiddifield

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll look into both. Thanks