• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anybody towing with a Ram 1500 5.7?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm considering a new 2017 Ram 1500, 5.7l with the 8-speed tranny. I'm currious what people are getting on their ram with and without the boat behind you. How do you like the truck overall?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
We have a Durango with the 5.7/8 speed combo. It's really nice to tow with. It doesn't search around for gears, or downshift and rev up on hills. Very smooth. I don't remember the towing mpg.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2016 4x4 Longhorn edition w/ 3.21 gears. We drove to New Orleans to evacuate for Hurricane Irma and made it from New Orleans to Tampa on a single tank with 2 gallons of the 32 gallon tank to spare. It was not our intention but fuel was scarce east of Pensacola. The computer said we averaged 22.1 mpg for the trip which sounds about right for the 640ish mile trip. In August we towed the boat from Tampa to NC and averaged 14 mpg both ways. We always keep around 70-72 mph while driving, whether towing or not.

I really like the truck overall but there were a few quality issues out of the gate. The under-hood light was not installed from the factory, one of the engine mounts was improperly torqued from the factory which caused an annoying rattle over bumps, and the side molding was separating from the wheel wells within a couple months of purchase. All were fixed promptly under warranty so no real issues there.

If I had it to do over again, I would buy the Ram as the GM trucks (my dad has a Silverado) STILL don’t have smart key/push button ignition, they use backup cameras that have horrible clarity, & the rear cup holders look like an afterthought the way they stick up on top of the rear armrest. Ford would be my 1st choice of money didn’t matter but it does, and for a similarly priced Ford, it’s pretty barren.

I would have made 2 changes if I could go back. 1) get the 3.92 gears. I think it’s a $50 (yes fifty) option and everyone says it makes a huge difference towing & a negligible difference in mpg. 2) Rambox. Being my 1st pickup truck I didn’t realize how much I would be lacking places to hide stuff so the back seat doesn’t look like a dumpster. There are some awesome cubbies under the floor & seats but two boxes in the fenders would be insanely convenient in hindsight. Good luck with your shopping!

EDIT: I can 2nd Sam’s note on the powertrain. The 8 speed is very smooth. Even with the 3.21 gears it doesn’t hunt for gears & the shifting is every bit as smooth as my Lexus before it. I was reading about the transmission before I got it & learned that because of the design it can make “extreme shifts” which means it doesn’t have to cycle from 7-6-5-4 it can go straight from 7-4. The new Ford 10 speed can do the same thing now and I believe the new GM 8 does this as well. At the time this was unique. Point is, the powertrain is great

Last edited:

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2015 5.7 4wd with the 8speed and 3.92 rear end. Most have the 3.21 rearend. I have over 34,000 miles on it. My lifetime mpg is around 16. Can do 22mpg if stay at 55mph, flat, no wind and cruise on. Will get about 17 running 75mph. Will get 10mpg towing. I use the tow/haul mode while towing and will not hunt for gears but usually won’t go higher than 7th gear. Will downshift to 6th on hills but keeps speed up.

Overall, no problems. Rides nice for a 4wd truck. I like the auto 4wd setting that will put power to front when detecting wheel slip. Nice for weather that not quite bad enough for full lock 4wd but questionable for just 2wd. Rides so nice we take it over the wife’s Avalon for road trips. I did install airbags on the rear, to decrease the sag when loaded. Would not hesitate to buy another very happy with it.....so far.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I average about 22 around town, on the highway 28-30 depends on wind and towing on the highway about 25. Big reason I went for the diesel was it handles the tow load with very little impact on the mpg.

GWC69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Love my Ram with the 5.7 Hemi 8sp and 3:21s, 395hp and 415 lbs or torque.
I have a 28' TT and the truck pulls it great no trouble at all.
The 8sp really changes the game on which gears you need as the super low first gear makes the 3:21s work well even pulling at max capacity.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ram is the way to go!! Been in a ram since 2000. My 2014 1500 w/5.7 gets 18 mpg on average. My usual daily commute is 12 miles of highway @80-85mph and 40 miles of in town @ 35-50mph.

My travel to the ramp is minimal so I️ can’t give you a mpg estimate, only a thumbs up on it pulls like a champ and stops just as well.

Once you go Ram....you’ll never want an oval or a cross.

Ps— hope apple fixes the bug with typing I️ (i)

mpbassett44

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Love my Ram truck!!!!! The 5.7 hemi/8 speed pulls my 242 like a champ!! I don't feel the boat at all when i'm pulling it, and it always finds the right gear to get maximum power when going uphill. I do have the 3:21 gears, so I lose the 10,000lb plus towing capacity. The gas mileage is good while not pulling, but if i pull the boat, it starts to get thirsty. The truck is very smooth, and extremely comfortable to drive on long trips. Did I mention, I love my truck!! fullsizeoutput_4d4f.jpeg

mpbassett44

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have a 2016 4x4 Longhorn edition w/ 3.21 gears. We drove to New Orleans to evacuate for Hurricane Irma and made it from New Orleans to Tampa on a single tank with 2 gallons of the 32 gallon tank to spare. It was not our intention but fuel was scarce east of Pensacola. The computer said we averaged 22.1 mpg for the trip which sounds about right for the 640ish mile trip. In August we went from Tampa to NC and averaged 14 mpg both ways. We always keep around 70-72 mph while driving, whether towing or not.

I really like the truck overall but there were a few quality issues out of the gate. The under-hood light was not installed from the factory, one of the engine mounts was improperly torqued from the factory which caused an annoying rattle over bumps, and the side molding was separating from the wheel wells within a couple months of purchase. All were fixed promptly under warranty so no real issues there.

If I had it to do over again, I would buy the Ram as the GM trucks (my dad has a Silverado) STILL don’t have smart key/push button ignition, they use backup cameras that have horrible clarity, & the rear cup holders look like an afterthought the way they stick up on top of the rear armrest. Ford would be my 1st choice of money didn’t matter but it does, and for a similarly priced Ford, it’s pretty barren.

I would have made 2 changes if I could go back. 1) get the 3.92 gears. I think it’s a $50 (yes fifty) option and everyone says it makes a huge difference towing & a negligible difference in mpg. 2) Rambox. Being my 1st pickup truck I didn’t realize how much I would be lacking places to hide stuff so the back seat doesn’t look like a dumpster. There are some awesome cubbies under the floor & seats but two boxes in the fenders would be insanely convenient in hindsight. Good luck with your shopping!

EDIT: I can 2nd Sam’s note on the powertrain. The 8 speed is very smooth. Even with the 3.21 gears it doesn’t hunt for gears & the shifting is every bit as smooth as my Lexus before it. I was reading about the transmission before I got it & learned that because of the design it can make “extreme shifts” which means it doesn’t have to cycle from 7-6-5-4 it can go straight from 7-4. The new Ford 10 speed can do the same thing now and I believe the new GM 8 does this as well. At the time this was unique. Point is, the powertrain is great
I thought I would regret my decision not to get the Rambox, but I found the Bakbox/Bakflip and it helps a lot! It looks clean and works great for storing smaller items and tools.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had a 2013 5.7 with the 6 speed (first year of the 8) and absolutely loved it, never had a single warranty claim and never put a foot wrong... a little thirsty though.

Also had a 2016 ecodiesel with the 8 speed. That was the same way. If diesel is on your radar, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to pick this truck up again and again. The engine is incredible!

All in all, I am a BIG fan of Ram trucks, don’t this they can be beat for comfort or design and have never had a single bit of trouble with either of mine. The 8 speed is a fantastic transmission also.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for all the input guys!

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
practically anything will tow a 19' boat so pick whatever you like.

As far as the truck, I love my ecodiesel. 16~20 mpg towing, about 30mpg not towing and driving carefully around 65mph

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought I would regret my decision not to get the Rambox, but I found the Bakbox/Bakflip and it helps a lot! It looks clean and works great for storing smaller items and tools.
Awesome idea, I am going to get one of these for my Tundra, (I know this is a Ram post, but I just cant bring myself to buy a Dodge product after my 99 Jeep Cherokee had so many issues when I bought it new), was it difficult to install? What kind of price range is this system?

mpbassett44

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Awesome idea, I am going to get one of these for my Tundra, (I know this is a Ram post, but I just cant bring myself to buy a Dodge product after my 99 Jeep Cherokee had so many issues when I bought it new), was it difficult to install? What kind of price range is this system?
https://bakflip.com
You might be able to find things a little cheaper online, but this will give you an idea. Everything was pretty easy to install. Youtube has all the instructional videos.

Sly J

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2011 Ram 5.7 hemi 2wd and get 10mpg towing an sx195/trophy 21 ft walk around...13mpg in town... 19mpg to 21mpg on the highway... I may go for a diesel on my next ram purchase after reading some of the posts.

Attachments

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ram is the way to go!! Been in a ram since 2000. My 2014 1500 w/5.7 gets 18 mpg on average. My usual daily commute is 12 miles of highway @80-85mph and 40 miles of in town @ 35-50mph.

My travel to the ramp is minimal so I️ can’t give you a mpg estimate, only a thumbs up on it pulls like a champ and stops just as well.

Once you go Ram....you’ll never want an oval or a cross.

Ps— hope apple fixes the bug with typing I️ (i)
I want to like Ram, really do, but I had one problem truck which was my first ram, and I kept fighting it and fighting it and left a bad taste for Dodge for me. I have always done well with F150's. Had an old explorer, and I would have had the dodge over that thing for sure, but ya know, everyone's experiences are different!

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had a Ram for a few years and it towed the boat with ease, I traded it on a 2017 Nissan Titan because I'm a huge Nissan fan. I had the 3:21 gears, I got around 17 MPG normal and about 12 MPG when towing. If Nissan can't get the transmission shifting issue worked out I will be going back to Ram.

By the way stay away from the Bakflip VP, I had it on my Ram and know 3 other people that have it and they are all delaminating and starting to sag. They sandwich foam board between pieces of metal and use spray adhesive to keep it together, I repaired mine 3 times before I traded the truck.