• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Check engine.

Shack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took out our ‘20 ar240 today. Cruised around a bit then sat and hung out for about 4-4/12 hours, radio on quietly. Went to start the engines, port started fine starboard wouldn’t start right away checked clean out hatch (probably had nothing to do with it) went to start again and it took a bit then started. Right after it started I get a check engine warning but everything was running fine so we headed back to the ramp (about 5 minutes). Got it loaded up, started both engines to blow out the water and both started right up and no check engine lights came on. Got home flushed both engines on the hose. It ran great and no alarms as well. Both voltage were 13.8-14 on the way back. We went slow. Any idea what happened??

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Water cooling Intake took some debris in and cleared itself is my guess

Shack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hadn’t thought of that. Would that make it start hard? Both pissers were pissing on the way back.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many times did you unsuccessfully try to start the engine before it fired up?

Shack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It fired up on the second try.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Usually if an engine fails to start a few times the system throws a check engine code. Once it starts the check engine goes away. Ask me how i found out, lol.
In my case I either had one of the engines barely out of neutral or my safety lanyard wasnt attached and the engine would crank but not start. After the third attempt, i figured out the lanyard wasnt attached and she fired right up but gave me a check engine light which went away after a few minutes.

Shack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, I think if I would have turned it off and back on again the check engine would have turned off. First time with a problem so I figured to take it back to ramp. I did check and wiggle both the lanyard and throttles. Maybe that’s all it was. 🤷🏼‍♂️ It started both times out of the water so everything should be fine. A little nerve racking the first time it happens. Lol