• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clockwise or counterclockwise

When on a lake that has land around on all sides what way do you travel?

• Clockwise

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Counterclockwise

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Which ever way my boat is pointed

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When growing up I was taught to travel counterclockwise when boating on lakes (as often as possible). I often see people doing the opposite.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've only ever once been on a lake that had to enforce this, and it was TINY (like 3 acre). Even some of what I would call "really small" lakes are still large enough this is rarely an issue. A lot of locals here won't go to Taylorsville because it's "too small", and it's actually ~3k acre lake.

I might show my ignorance here, but doesn't the premise of driving on the right hand side of the road carry over to waterways, which leads to a natural inclination to drive counterclockwise?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
In central WI, all of the inland lakes usually do watersports in a counterclockwise direction. As a goofy-footed surfer, that drives me insane - but you have to have a flow when there's a lot of traffic - and a reason I like to stick to rivers and flowages.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everyone tends to go counterclockwise on the local lakes which makes it much safer when pulling people. Although there is always one ass hat who has to be going clockwise who almost runs into boats or tubers.

It is also a law here in Michigan. Hit someone or injur someone going in the wrong direction in Michigan and they up it to negligence which gets nasty. But most of the ass clowns on the lake don't care about anyone but themselves, saw it daily.

II. TOWING OF PERSONS

1. No water skiing between one hour after sunset and one hour prior to sunrise.

2. At least one competent person, in addition to the driver, shall be in any boat towing persons on water skis, sleds, etc. This additional person shall be in a position to observe the progress of the person being towed.

3. The tow boat must be equipped with a 170 degree wide angle rear view mirror affixed to permit the driver to observe the progress of the person being towed.

III. DISTANCE BETWEEN PERSONS BEING TOWED AND OTHER OBJECTS

Vessels and persons being towed on water skis, water sleds, etc. shall maintain a distance of 100 foot from any dock, raft, buoyed or occupied bathing areas, or vessels moored or at anchor, except when the vessel is proceeding at a slow-no wake speed or when water skiers are being picked-up or dropped off.

Boat Pattern Graphic001
IV. COUNTER-CLOCKWISE OPERATIONS

Persons operating vessels shall operate in a counter-clockwise fashion when it reasonably possible.

V. NOISE LEVEL OF BOATS

Motorboats are required to have mufflers or an underwater exhaust system such that it does not produce sound levels in excess of 90 dB when subjected to a stationary (neutral) sound level test of it’s engine at no closer than one meter (3.3 feet).

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Counterclockwise in the small lake I boat here in Indiana, it's a 400 acres lake. The rule is strictly enforced.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Local townships may pass their own ordinances regarding this. One of the lakes I boated on in WI had it as clockwise (Sliver Lake). It may have changed since I was there over 11 years ago.

Page 9 in the doc below in the inset box: https://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/le/LE0317.pdf

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We must be on a large enough lake that it doesn't matter. But I like to pass and wave at traffic.

But honestly, I let my guests sit down, and I travel in the direction that allows the new guests the best views, as they like to look up at the properties. With these boats, you sit in them, rather than on them. So there is no comfortable 360 view. So I keep that in mind when choosing my direction

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m confused by this. Technically all sides of a lake will have land. Do y’all have circular lakes or something lol?

As far as boating navigation goes on my lake which is fairly sized, you will find people going all directions especially in the open areas. Most people traveling tend to treat it as a roadway, so they will be on the port side on approach in most cases....although there are a few that always do things differently than you anticipate (bass boats and pontoons).

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m confused by this. Do y’all have circular lakes or something lol?
I mean, kinda, yea...... Really small ones can be circular-ish

I learned to ski on this lake. It's about 18mi SW of Roswell, NM. It was barely deep enough for the boat to not touch bottom. My stepdad was able to stand in chest deep water and hold me up on the ski's while his buddy drove the boat and pulled me away. Only 2 boats were allowed on the water at a time, and it was always counter-clockwise rotation. When I said Tiny earlier I was a exaggerating a bit. It's closer to 30 acres, not 3. Still feels more like a large pond to me than a lake though.

1606752864539.png

I'm with you though, most of the lakes I'm used to are flooded river valleys from the Corps of Engineers doing flood control projects. When you have a lake shaped like this, things like "counter clockwise" don't really make a ton of sense. SO it ends up being "keep right except to pass" as you travel down the "length" of the lake. With all that said, I try to avoid "long skinny" lakes most of the time. It makes traffic control more hassle than it's worth, and you can't get away from the other boaters if you're trying to pull a tube or ski. Does help keep the waves down though as there isn't anywhere for the wind to chop u the water, and wakes crash into shore and die out quickly.

1606753054611.png

Attachments

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes same for us. Nothing that small here where this circular driving would come into play. I’d go find a bigger lake to play on if that were the case :D

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I only boat of three bodies of water that specify the direction of travel, all specify counter-clockwise.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I wonder if counterclockwise direction is intended to let the driver have a better view of the shores and docks?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if counterclockwise direction is intended to let the driver have a better view of the shores and docks?
Interesting postulation... Makes sense.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I saw the title I thought this was a topic related to the movie “parasite”.