• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Needed new pants...

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good thing there were stores near the ramp...mopped up and still had a nice day on the water. Now to reevaluate my battery choices.

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did it freeze? Is that even possible?

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Exploded when I turned the key!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is crazy!

Are you calling Interstate tomorrow? I am curious what they will say caused the problem.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like you are OK.
That's a bit scary.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
YIKES. I had a battery blow one time in a car. It stranded me 1/2 mile from LAX, and trust me you don't want to be stranded near LAX. Sounds like you recovered nicely!!!

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It was a "gently" used battery I've had for 2yrs. Also, not knocking Interstate, just no more led acid batteries. I may call them for a better explanation, but from what I gather gasses can build up and cause this. It's been on a pulsetech charger since I've had it, so the charger shouldn't be the cause.

No one was hurt, and hopefully the baking soda water mix saves the carpet.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I switched my battery boxes out to these. They were only $10 each at Walmart. DSC00177.JPG DSC00174.JPG

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@itsdgm yep, that's another change I'll be making.

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@itsdgm I only saw your pics when I replied. How are those battery boxes different? I just have trays now, and assumed any battery box would be better.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am actually getting ready to buy interstate batteries. I have always had good luck with them. That and I cant justify AGM prices.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hydrogen gas is created when charging led acid batteries. They recommend charging only in well ventillated areas. I'm wondering what the source of ignition was.

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure, but it had to be internal, no loose connections or burn marks. The seat is always off during charging, and it was disconnect from the charger 2hrs before turning the key.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yow. Scary.

I'll give a guess as to the cause: As lead-acid batteries age, the plates inside can become loose in their mounts. If you jostle it enough (drop it, hit a bump in the road, hit a wave hard) a plate can break free. If it lands in the wrong spot, it can create an internal short inside the battery. This means that current is flowing inside the battery even with nothing connected to the terminals. Sulfuric gas will be generated. From there, all it takes is a spark.

I had this happen to me in my car on a trip from here in WI back to MI to see my in-laws. (The battery puking and leaving us stranded in a rest-stop after dark in 90+ Degree weather with a 13 month old baby and a dog was only one small incident in that trip from h-e-double-hockey-sticks.) Once a lead-acid battery is 2+ years old, I become EXTREMELY cautious around it. My current battery is going on it's 4th full summer and I consider it due for replacement.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm I only saw your pics when I replied. How are those battery boxes different? I just have trays now, and assumed any battery box would be better.
These boxes keep the battery contained within a box and lid. So any spillage should be contained. They come in different sizes too. I leave the lids off when charging.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snap-Top-Everstart-Marine-Battery-Box/16781379
Here's the OEM that was on the boat when I bought it,DSC00170.JPG
And here's the type that I replaced it with.
0004622147300_180X180.jpg