• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New SX210 Delivery Gripes

Pfitzuscg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been lurking on this and the other forum for a few months researching the various Yamaha Boats. First, let me say that this is a really great resource for the community -- I learned a lot before I ever stepped into a dealer showroom. Last month I took the plunge and purchased a new 2013 SX210 from a North TX dealer.

Unfortunately, on delivery day I discovered that the boat had suffered some gel coat damage on both sides, which was attributed to a loose bimini during shipping. Additionally there were a few other minor items like a stress crack fore of the passenger windshield and a dinged up rub rail. Needless to say, my family and I were disappointed. The dealer sent it to the shop and today, 4 weeks later, I picked it up.

The issues that they repaired look great. However, when I got the boat in the driveway and started to clean it up a bit, I found that it had either white gel coat residue from wet sanding or possibly wax residue embedded in the tops of many of the seat cushions (which are a textured gray color). Additionally there are two stress cracks aft of the engine cover that are visible and palpable. Overall, I'm a bit upset to keep finding issues, albeit cosmetic, on a brand new boat (especially stress cracks w/ no use).

Seeking advice from others on this forum. I haven't operated the boat yet, and am concerned that if I do, Yamaha may say those cracks are on me. I'm inclined to bring back to the dealer first thing in the morning to fix even if it is going to delay hitting the water for at least two more weeks. Also thinking of calling the GM and letting them know how disappointing this has been.

Additionally, not too thrilled with the crap all over my seats from the shop. Any suggestions on how to clean? Tried shop vac for the loose stuff, then mild dish soap and water, then 409. Applied plenty of elbow grease, but no success.

Needless to say, not the new boat delivery I was hoping for.

Thanks,

Paul in DFW
IMG_0927.jpg IMG_0953.jpg IMG_0923.jpg IMG_0952.jpg

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Take it back to the dealer to either be repaired now, or at the end of the season if you don't want to wait. They should clean the seats no you! If there is any hassle, call Yamaha corp ... I think the number is in the FAQ...

Pfitzuscg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Take it back to the dealer to either be repaired now, or at the end of the season if you don't want to wait. They should clean the seats no you! If there is any hassle, call Yamaha corp ... I think the number is in the FAQ...
Thanks Julian - I just saw the thread with yamaha contact info -- that helps.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I absolutely agree. Take it back. I know, you want to get in the water. But you paid a lot of money. Get your worth of it. Tell them to fix it.

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Demand it be fixed and have them throw in some free stuff for your issues!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Was it Phil Dill? They have great customer service. Should be no problem for Yamaha's number 1 boat retailer.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah take it back. I wouldn't accept that. Tell them you expect immediate attention to this. Always good to document the repairs if they pop up later on you will have some ammo in dealing with the dealer to fix again.

Pfitzuscg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the responses guys -- helps benchmark whether my expectations for condition are realistic. Before brining back to dealer, I'm going to pull the cover when we get some more light and do one more inspection to document and make sure there's nothing else that I haven't discovered yet.

A bit concerned about what's causing stress cracks on an unused boat -- any inspection tips out there? So far there are cracks in two independent location (one having been repaired). I've heard that tapping the exterior with a screwdriver handle may reveal underlying fiberglass defects but have no experience w/ this.

After sleeping on it, I'm a little reluctant to "out" the dealer until they have another opportunity to make it right. Once we get a resolution, I'll give credit where due.

Paul

Pfitzuscg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got some better pics in the sunlight. Heading back to dealer now. IMG_0927.jpg IMG_0953.jpg IMG_0923.jpg IMG_0952.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Pfitzuscg no way I accept that on a new boat. Make them fix it or get a new boat to you. That is way beyond what should be allowed. Best of luck. Hope that get you squared away.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Pfitzuscg I wouldn't accept it either. All I would do is get with my salesman, and march him over to the service manager, and with the both of them, explain that waiting 4 weeks extra for a new boat is unacceptable, as is the condition of the boat at delivery. And get a committment from them on the timeframe to make it right. You really don't need the boat until next month sometime toward the end of it, but you may have other stuff you want to do to it. It is a process and sure, they push stuff out the door that shouldn't be that way, but Yamaha shouldn't release a new boat to be distributed like that either. But stuff happens...and all they need to do is make it right. All boats get stress cracks and they are pretty much cosmetic. And Yamaha, like most other manufacturers, don't want to cover those. That is why getting it done at delivery is paramount. I "liked" your giving them a chance to make it right! Because it isn't their fault it happened, just their fault for delivering it that way. Someone will get a good talking to I am sure, but it can still happen, so it is generous and respectable to allow them a chance to fix it! Glad to have you here, welcome aboard! And keep us posted!

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definitely take it back, You paid for a new boat and shouldnt settle

Pfitzuscg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses Mel, jlcj7, and Jaws ...dropped boat off at dealer with a punch list. Have a voicemail in with sales to follow up on expectations. Hopefully get some positive movement in a week or so.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a real shame, to have the thrill and anticipation of owning a new boat, only to be let down by faults, and they are faults.
Can you not return the boat and demand an exchange? These faults will spoil your enjoyment, you shouldn't have to put up with second best.

I recently took delivery of a new 190, I was really impressed with the overall finish and how well it was presented. Yes, the front light didn't work, but other than that, it was faultless. If you buy new you should not have to put up with repairs.

Pfitzuscg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a real shame, to have the thrill and anticipation of owning a new boat, only to be let down by faults, and they are faults.
Can you not return the boat and demand an exchange? These faults will spoil your enjoyment, you shouldn't have to put up with second best.

I recently took delivery of a new 190, I was really impressed with the overall finish and how well it was presented. Yes, the front light didn't work, but other than that, it was faultless. If you buy new you should not have to put up with repairs.
Completely agree @Britboater, big letdown when we discovered first level of issues after all the anticipation. We had looked at a few projects that had very low initial cost and decided we didn't want to go down that road -- would rather use the boat than work on the boat. Now, it seems we have a project of a different nature for more $. When it's all said and done, objective is to get what a reasonable person would expect of a new boat. To date it's all been non structural/mechanical stuff, so I suspect this hull can be brought up to a like new condition vs a new hull. In the back of my mind, it'll kind of bug me why a new boat would have things like stress cracks, dings and scratches, and glass damage under the fuel tank cover, but I'm trying to let pragmatism outweigh emotion. Also suspect I'll get over it when repaired and I push the throttles up!

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A couple weeks now seems like a big deal, but down the road it will be a distant memory. I would ensure you are documenting everything and setting expectations including that any additional issues will be escalated to whatever level required to reach resolution. No way I accept a new boat with those issues.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
You are right to give them the oppurtunity to make it right. But if they dont then I would go directly to Yamaha. No way would this lack of pride in the producty a dealer be accepted behavior from Yamaha

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man, that sucks. You're doing the right thing though. Get it squared away now. When you're sitting on the swim-deck watching the sun go down it will all be a distant memory.

(This is the kind of thing that makes me want to go into a "Doesn't anyone take pride in their job anymore?" rant, but I'm preaching to the converted here.)

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's such a fun killer!! Not to worry though, I'm sure the dealer will fix it up soon enough. At least you're not discovering it right in the middle of summer.

One thing I learned with picking up my cars, boats etc. I spend an awkward amount of time going over them before I leave the dealer/shop. I don't care if the service guy has to wait or not. It's such a PITA to get it home and realize that it has to go back. I feel like I have more leverage by leaving it in their way not in mine. That way they'll get right on it. Instead of asking me to schedule to bring it back another day.

Anyway, I agree with the other guys who said that this will all be a distant memory come mid-summer.

Pfitzuscg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's such a fun killer!! Not to worry though, I'm sure the dealer will fix it up soon enough. At least you're not discovering it right in the middle of summer.

One thing I learned with picking up my cars, boats etc. I spend an awkward amount of time going over them before I leave the dealer/shop. I don't care if the service guy has to wait or not. It's such a PITA to get it home and realize that it has to go back. I feel like I have more leverage by leaving it in their way not in mine. That way they'll get right on it. Instead of asking me to schedule to bring it back another day.

Anyway, I agree with the other guys who said that this will all be a distant memory come mid-summer.
Absolutely agree Dennis, you nailed it. Big time lesson learned. Had I declined to close, I bet all this stuff fixed in 7-10 days and I wouldn't be wasting unusable $ on interest, insurance, storage, and Y.E.S.

Really set myself up by bringing the family to pick up the boat (hard to be the grinch when the kids have all this anticipation and excitement) and we were the last delivery of the day, looking at it in twilight while everyone there is waiting to go home. A solo mid day inspection obviously revealed a lot more. If I had it to do over, I'd have said I want to come back and take another look the next day. Hopefully someone else can learn from this and not sign on the dotted line until 100% satisfied, you'll still have a sales agreement and deposit to hold the boat, you'll get it fixed quicker, and you won't be wasting your money in the meantime.

Fortunately, there's still time as you mentioned until the prime boating season.

-Paul