• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seadoo vs. Yamaha

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After renting jetskis in Key West, my wife and I got the bug to buy an entry level jetski. I've got two options currently available to me and wanted to get some opinions (shouldn't be an issue on this board) on each option:

Option 1 - 2013 Yamaha VX Deluxe
-9 Hours
-Comes with trailer
-$6,500

Option 2 - 2015 Seadoo Spark 3 Up
-5 Hours
-No trailer (Found a used one for $300)
-$5,300

These are pre-negotiated prices, so I'm not sure where I will end up, but the Spark is roughly $1,000 less than the yamaha. The intent is to use whenever we are tooling around at the lake and nothing heavy duty. Would appreciate hearing from folks that own either one or both.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does the Seadoo have the 90 hp engine? I have a 2004 Seadoo GTX I bought for $3000. It is not as trouble free as my Yamaha but it is a lot of fun. I have to watch for supercharger issues. It came with a twin that has a blown motor due to supercharger failure. Being you are looking at the spark you will not have that problem.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@BlacklimitedS Yes, it does have the 90 hp engine. I actually don't want a supercharged engine don't need the speed and don't want to watch out for the headaches.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you plan on riding 2 up , honestly forget the spark!

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
There is a 2013 yamaha vxr with trailer and 25 hrs. for 7300 obo around here on CL.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
that has the 1800 engine, 7k is average retail without a trailer, but you can't go wrong with the 1800 I have 250hours on both of my 1800 engines in a year so 25 is nothing

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a new 2014 vx deluxe and loved it.. with my far butt on it would still go 56 to 58... qnf its jot super charged.. with me and the wife it woukd still do 53 to 55. Its a great stable and solid ski... the only reason I sold it was because we bought the boat... one day I will get another one.... when the boat is paid off!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Went down that exact same road this summer, with virtually the exact same options. Ended up with a brand new VXR, and couldn't be happier. We tried the Spark. Tried like hell to love that thing. It just isn't stable enough for us. We were deadset on having one ski, so we were looking at it from a "2-up" perspective full time - that may have swayed our decision a bit. Now, we're adding another new yammy to the fleet anyway. Still wouldn't change a thing.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My vote is for the Yamaha. Although you can't throw it around as easily as the Spark, the Yamaha is more stable, reliable and tougher. Unless I'm mistaken, if you damage the Spark's hull you need to replace it whereas the Yamaha's hull may be repaired. Maintenance looks like more of a pain on the Spark as well since you have to remove the top half of the hull to get to the engine. The Spark is cool but all things considered it is overpriced in my opinion.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go Yamaha. Save yourself the maintenance headaches. There are very small ports to get any maintenance done, and if you have to change sparkplugs or air filters you have to split the ski in half. And forget about dry storage.

The spark is nice for a rental, and a spare ski you want use much, or as a learner for someone getting into PWC riding.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What makes the spark cool is that it's light like old school skis. Great for throwing it around and doing some surf jumping. Feels like a small dirt bike on the water. However, riding two up on it won't be fun at all and if you're looking for something with a nice cruise this isn't the ski for you.

The VX is yams entry level ski. Extremely reliable and much smoother to cruise with two up. With that said, the fx lineup is a large step up as far as comfort goes. You're still going to feel every bump while riding the VX where as the fx is a lot heavier and will feel more like a caddy.

In your price range you should have many options. It all depends on how you plan on using your ski. Stick with Yam though for reliability.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Skip the spark if you get it you will be looking to upgrade it in a year. The VX is a good reliable light duty ski. If you want to look at Seadoo check out the Gti in a newer model. We have a 2012 seadoo gti and a 2013 kawasaki ultra and love them both we originally were going to buy a spark but after comparing them with the other ski's available there was too much difference in the quality of the other skis In a very similar price range biggest being the fiberglass hull compared to the sparks plastic hull.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
please sit on the spark before you buy. it is tiny AND rock hard.

not comfortable for anything over 15minutes

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
image.jpg

Ended up pulling the trigger on a 2015 V1 Sport with a triton aluminum trailer. Total price was $8k OTD. They are definitely dealing at the end of the year! Told the kids I had to go and meet Santa since this wouldn't fit on his sleigh.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
spark removal.jpg

@Shuck Water congrats you will enjoy it and as most will tell you a second one will likely be in your future ;) I was sure I would only get one but less then a year later bought a second. I think you will really be glad you didn't get the spark. Still something about having to separate the the spark completely in half for any major maintenance that doesn't sit well with me.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@robert843 i hear you. I did some research on the seadoo forums and wow, it's like listening to folks talk about their scarabs. The spark has a ton of issues. Also can't argue with the MR-1 engine. They run forever!! Thanks to everyone for their opinions.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
You made the right decision. The Spark is a cool little ride for riding single, but who wants to do that. I had a VX Deluxe and it was fine riding three up or 2 up with my 13- year old behind on a tube. No way a Spark does that well.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For a second ski get a sea doo GTI se for just a little more and you have much more ski than the spark. What kind of riding do you want to do? I have a 2013 kawasaki ultra LX and 2011 doo gti se and a 2006 gti se. The newer doo has IBR and it is fantasic.