• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tower screw not screwing in - any ideas?

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have to lower my wake tower everytime I park it at home in the garage but all of a sudden, I can't screw in the port side pin. Has anyone experienced this? I removed the screw thing to test if the threads were messed up but it screws right into the tower bar just fine if its down but when I put it back together and put the tower up, it won't screw in. Might be an alignment issue with the tower and the base. When I have the tower up, it looks like the hole is lined up but the screw just doesn't seem to catch when I try to screw it in no matter how hard I push and turn at the same time. The right side is fine. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have to lower my wake tower everytime I park it at home in the garage but all of a sudden, I can't screw in the port side pin. Has anyone experienced this? I removed the screw thing to test if the threads were messed up but it screws right into the tower bar just fine if its down but when I put it back together and put the tower up, it won't screw in. Might be an alignment issue with the tower and the base. When I have the tower up, it looks like the hole is lined up but the screw just doesn't seem to catch when I try to screw it in no matter how hard I push and turn at the same time. The right side is fine. Any thoughts on how to fix this?
I park mine next to my driveway which is at a little bit of a declining grade, one day I parked a little farther over where the angle is greater and I had the same problem, I think there was a little hull flex going on. I had to have someone hold the tower and mess with the screw. Only time I ever had it happen. Boat might have been sitting on the trailer a little wired, idk.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I park mine next to my driveway which is at a little bit of a declining grade, one day I parked a little farther over where the angle is greater and I had the same problem, I think there was a little hull flex going on. I had to have someone hold the tower and mess with the screw. Only time I ever had it happen. Boat might have been sitting on the trailer a little wired, idk.
Sounds like an interesting idea that I could maybe try to do once the boat is on the water again. Its so weird because if I put up the tower and look through the hole (after I removed the screw assembly) the holes look pretty lined up. I tried wiggly the tower around but still no luck. Weird thing is that it was screwing in fine before......Might just need to have them fix it at the dealer when I take it in for the 10 hr service.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have experienced the same problem on my 2019 AR195. The starboard tower bolt is fine, the port one can be difficult to get the threads to start. I just have to fiddle with it until it finally locks into place. Thankfully I don't have to take my tower down much at all, otherwise it would be very frustrating. So I feel your pain.

If you take into the dealer, I suggest that you personally replicate the issue for them on-site. I requested the dealer look at it during my 10hr and they said it wasn't a warranty issue, but I don't know how much they actually looked at it when it was in the shop.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Every Single Time.......You can "bump" the tower a little to get it to move around on the mounts. Neither the hull nor the tower is so stiff that you can't move them enough to get the bolt in. I use my hip and give it a "bump" to move it towards the outside of the hull and that usually clears the issue.

DO NOT........I repeat DO NOT Cross thread that bolt. The tower retention system is completely compromised and becomes a safety concern, if you don't have full engagement on those threads. It should thread easily and completely by hand without any tools. If it doesn't take some time, realign/move the tower slightly and try again.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Every Single Time.......You can "bump" the tower a little to get it to move around on the mounts. Neither the hull nor the tower is so stiff that you can't move them enough to get the bolt in. I use my hip and give it a "bump" to move it towards the outside of the hull and that usually clears the issue.

DO NOT........I repeat DO NOT Cross thread that bolt. The tower retention system is completely compromised and becomes a safety concern, if you don't have full engagement on those threads. It should thread easily and completely by hand without any tools. If it doesn't take some time, realign/move the tower slightly and try again.
I tried everything from pushing on the base and tower to even loosening the bolts holding the base to the hull to get more wiggle room. The holes look totally lined up but for some reason, the threads just won't catch. I know the threads are fine because I detached the screw assembly from the tower and screwed it in directly to the base with no problem. This has got me so baffled but it seems as if this should be a warranty issue since there's clearly something wrong with the alignment.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Screws in just fine without the tower up......
7A31837D-3E0A-400F-832D-E96A03502647.jpeg

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting! Maybe you can try to order a new knob. I have a spare just in case on board.
I supposed it wouldn't hurt to try a different knob. Do you happen to have the part number?

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I loosen or tighten one side some of the way and then just wiggle tower a lil while screwing in the other side. Once that side in I go back to the other side. Should be easy if you wiggle tower a little bit. DO NOT CROSS THREAD BOLT OR YOUR SCREWED. I hit the bolts with a lil marine grease now and then. I too have to raise and lower for garage storage but it's a one person operation once you get some reps in.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know that my tower has been 'tweaked' ever since brand new. The entire tower is a weldment, so it won't stay perfectly straight when it is manufactured. I know that's no excuse .. but it's the reality. Regardless, my starboard side is a real bitch! I'm like the OP ... when disassembled, it will thread just fine. I have tried many times to get the base aligned just right. But the only thing that works is for me to put in the port side knob, then stand under the tower and push like hell to get the starboard side to line up ... for which I need a second person to tighten it. I hate the tower knobs!!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried everything from pushing on the base and tower to even loosening the bolts holding the base to the hull to get more wiggle room. The holes look totally lined up but for some reason, the threads just won't catch. I know the threads are fine because I detached the screw assembly from the tower and screwed it in directly to the base with no problem. This has got me so baffled but it seems as if this should be a warranty issue since there's clearly something wrong with the alignment.
Being a 2020 model. I would call your dealership and talk to them about it. Then if they are local enough, take the boat to them and have them confirm something isn't aligned properly. If they can fix it, that's best in my opinion considering the consequences of that bolt not operating properly. Yamaha corporate knows this is an issue, but that doesn't mean they'll be willing to quickly help.

If the dealer isn't local, next best bet is to find a way to temp support the tower (build a small wooden frame) and loose ALL of the mounting bolts from underneath. Not remove, just loosen, then tighten the release knobs, then retighten the mounting bolts. This should realign the tower-mount-hull interface. If that doesn't get you there, then I would wager the tower itself is tweaked, and we're back to talking to the dealer.

Good luck, this isn't an easy one :(

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Have the problem on my 195s. Figured out on that side if I pull the tower towards me and then turn in the screw it goes in just fine.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I finally had the time to go and try to tackle this issue. I had a few things that I was going to try, including loosening the tower base on the port side so I would have wiggle room to try and position it better. I opened the storage compartment and thought, "damn, thats a small space." So before I contorted myself to squeeze in, I thought I'd just try something easier. I removed and swapped the knobs from either side and BAM! both sides screw in fine now.....WTF?!? At least the issue is fixed now......

Last edited:

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So I finally had the time to go and try to tackle this issue. I had a few things that I was going to try, including loosing the tower base on the port side so I would have wiggle room to try and position it better. I opened the storage compartment and thought, "damn, thats a small space." So before I contorted myself to squeeze in, I thought I'd just try something easier. I removed and swapped the knobs from either side and BAM! both sides screw in fine now.....WTF?!? At least the issue is fixed now......
I’m out of ideas on this one maybe it’s just a slight difference in the threads or perhaps you got it cross threaded a little bit at one point and didn’t realize it. I would still go ahead and buy that extra knob cheap insurance to keep running on the water.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea, I had already ordered it but it still hasn't shipped yet and I was getting antsy on trying to figure out the problem. At least I'll have a backup for the future, if needed.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the issue has started up again.....so annoying! I figured out that the hole on the base of the tower is mis-aligned with the screw hole by a few mm. Bought this support pole (Support Pole) to put in between the two sides of the bottom of the tower to slightly push it out more so that the holes line up and now it screws in just fine. Sucks that this needs to be done but it saves me a lot of frustation when having to put the tower up and down. Just FYI to anyone who is experiencing the same issue.

Nvrod123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same problem with my tower, its just an alignment issue. I have to press the bass of my tower outward with my shoulder then screw it in. just have to find that sweet spot.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Honestly I have found that just switching which one you put in first makes a difference.