• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakebooster Doesn't fit 22ft Models without modification

highway76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
BLUF: You have to remove the swim seat bracket for it to fit, something I hadnt seen anywhere online.

Boys, kinda pissed on this one. Picked up a 23 222S last summer. I did a lot of research on the Yamaha wakebooster, finally picked up the one specifically for the 22 ft model, and you cant use it without removing the swim up seat mount. Everything I read said "No tools", no drilling etc. This simply isnt the case if you have a 22 ft Yamaha. The instructions say "For best results remove the swim up seat bracket". How is that no tools, simple installation? Its not for best results, you literally cant install with the bracket in place. And it seems every 22 ft model has these brackets (minus the xd/xe because they have integrated wakebooster panels).

So heres my point:

It looks like the wakebooster would fit if you either moved the swim up seat bracket towards the bow about 2 inches, or notched the end of the booster to fit around it. Why would Yamaha market a wakebooster specifically for the 23 and up model year, "easy no tools install .1 hr", but you have to remove through hull bolts and re-silicone them if want to use it? I thinks its essentially the 21 ft model, which to my knowledge didnt come standard with brackets.

This also means there is no switching of the sides unless you remove both brackets. Instructions.jpgSwimseat.jpgPin.jpgbestresults.jpg

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Well that's f'ing dumb... could you move the brackets, or even swing them in a bit, to make room? Notching the booster would also work, but unsure on performance impact... probably minimum as it's at the top of the booster.

highway76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Well that's f'ing dumb... could you move the brackets, or even swing them in a bit, to make room? Notching the booster would also work, but unsure on performance impact... probably minimum as it's at the top of the booster.
Yeah its frustrating, I was hoping someone with a 220 or 222 would chime in, maybe that booster is the one for the 25?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have a booster for my 2020 and it looks the same. The 24' boats have a significantly different design that wouldn't match up to a 22' boat.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
That sucks. If you have surfers from both sides you have to remove them both. I might have bought a 222X if I had known that.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
BLUF: You have to remove the swim seat bracket for it to fit, something I hadnt seen anywhere online.

Boys, kinda pissed on this one. Picked up a 23 222S last summer. I did a lot of research on the Yamaha wakebooster, finally picked up the one specifically for the 22 ft model, and you cant use it without removing the swim up seat mount. Everything I read said "No tools", no drilling etc. This simply isnt the case if you have a 22 ft Yamaha. The instructions say "For best results remove the swim up seat bracket". How is that no tools, simple installation? Its not for best results, you literally cant install with the bracket in place. And it seems every 22 ft model has these brackets (minus the xd/xe because they have integrated wakebooster panels).

So heres my point:

It looks like the wakebooster would fit if you either moved the swim up seat bracket towards the bow about 2 inches, or notched the end of the booster to fit around it. Why would Yamaha market a wakebooster specifically for the 23 and up model year, "easy no tools install .1 hr", but you have to remove through hull bolts and re-silicone them if want to use it? I thinks its essentially the 21 ft model, which to my knowledge didnt come standard with brackets.

This also means there is no switching of the sides unless you remove both brackets. View attachment 219287View attachment 219285View attachment 219286View attachment 219284
That said, what is your ballast set up. Do you know if this will fit/work for the 22's?
Fly High Yamaha Jet Boats Custom 21 FatSac - C1046 - 725lbs | WakeMAKERS

highway76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
That sucks. If you have surfers from both sides you have to remove them both. I might have bought a 222X if I had known that.
Yeah, I'm disappointed that Yamaha isn't more upfront about the compatibility. There should be wording that it will not work with seat brackets installed, not "for best results". It wont fit with them at all. I've seen some posts about the 24/25ft version having similar issues, but it looks like you can make it work with the bracket still there.

I aint ditching the seat brackets, thats one of the coolest parts of the boat. I've mocked up a template to trim it to fit. The ballast bags will work no problem

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Yeah, I'm disappointed that Yamaha isn't more upfront about the compatibility. There should be wording that it will not work with seat brackets installed, not "for best results". It wont fit with them at all. I've seen some posts about the 24/25ft version having similar issues, but it looks like you can make it work with the bracket still there.

I aint ditching the seat brackets, thats one of the coolest parts of the boat. I've mocked up a template to trim it to fit. The ballast bags will work no problem
That was my first thought. I would have to notch both sides. I hope you'll share the measurements or template when you're done, along with so.e photos.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I just noticed something else on your booster vs. my 2020 22' booster, I have little tabs on the ends of the "top" (where the red foam is) that put the booster against the transom and port/stbd edge. Your booster does not - which means it may have been designed to specifically ride outside of your seat posts.

Honestly, if you can lock it in tight, in that current unmodified position, I would go out and try it. You may not need to mod the booster if it works.

highway76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
That was my first thought. I would have to notch both sides. I hope you'll share the measurements or template when you're done, along with so.e photos.
You can see here it what I'm planning on trimming. Its basically along the outside edge of the last welded on brace. And then you would have to notch down the height of the bracket, which is about to the bottom of the wakebooster sticker.
cutline.jpgsupport.jpg

highway76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
I just noticed something else on your booster vs. my 2020 22' booster, I have little tabs on the ends of the "top" (where the red foam is) that put the booster against the transom and port/stbd edge. Your booster does not - which means it may have been designed to specifically ride outside of your seat posts.

Honestly, if you can lock it in tight, in that current unmodified position, I would go out and try it. You may not need to mod the booster if it works.
The problem is you can't make it fit. On the 25 ft hull, you can basically jam it against the seat bracket and be tight up against it. But it isnt possible on the 22ft hull. Really surprised more people with 2023+ 22' havent discussed this. Maybe they didnt buy the booster and just got the X...

highway76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length

On this video of a 212, it has that style booster also. Who knows why they switched styles, but mine looks more like the 24/25 version.

Afd04e

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m running into the same issue and have been since I bought the boat (AR220) and Wakebooster last summer. The boat is currently with the Cycle Springs service department (dealer in Clearwater Fl) and I’m waiting on them to tell me how Yamaha intends to resolve this problem. I frequently have toddlers on the boat so I’m certainly not okay with simply plugging waterline level through hull bolt holes with silicone and assuming it’ll be okay. If they don’t come up with a good solution for the Wakebooster not working as advertised, I’ll be looking for a refund on the booster.

highway76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
I’m running into the same issue and have been since I bought the boat (AR220) and Wakebooster last summer. The boat is currently with the Cycle Springs service department (dealer in Clearwater Fl) and I’m waiting on them to tell me how Yamaha intends to resolve this problem. I frequently have toddlers on the boat so I’m certainly not okay with simply plugging waterline level through hull bolt holes with silicone and assuming it’ll be okay. If they don’t come up with a good solution for the Wakebooster not working as advertised, I’ll be looking for a refund on the booster.
Let us know what you hear back from Yamaha.

highway76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Roughcut.jpg
Here is the first pass, clean up around the bolt head area and it will be good to go. You can see the locking pin hole is almost clear.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

So heres my point:

This also means there is no switching of the sides unless you remove both brackets. View attachment 219287View attachment 219285View attachment 219286View attachment 219284
Was this information in the user manual?

highway76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Fit.jpg
I'm going to round over the edges and paint it, but it's in there.

highway76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Wakebooster test.jpg
@kgower So this is the modified wakebooster with the swim bracket still there. Definitely makes a taller cleaner pocket than without, when the speed is dialed in it looks pretty nice. This is with no ballast and 1 other person on the boat. I'll test it with a loaded boat this weekend.

Overall, I'm happy with it. And I can still pull up in the cove and party with both seats. It installs/uninstalls easily without getting in the water also.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
View attachment 219882
@kgower So this is the modified wakebooster with the swim bracket still there. Definitely makes a taller cleaner pocket than without, when the speed is dialed in it looks pretty nice. This is with no ballast and 1 other person on the boat. I'll test it with a loaded boat this weekend.

Overall, I'm happy with it. And I can still pull up in the cove and party with both seats. It installs/uninstalls easily without getting in the water also.
I have a 365lb sac for the ski locker and just got a 725lb for the transom. Looking forward to dialing it I.