• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterizing a two stroke merc jet engine!?

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I've searched the forums and not found one like mine. What should I do to my engine before wrapping my boat??? I already hate the fact that the outside of the engine builds up moisture during the day because of the time of year....

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Fog the engines.
They are self draining of cooling water
Hook the battery(s) to battery maintainers.
Give the engines a light spray with WD40 or such.
Others will give some good ideas as well.

Last edited:

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
When I had SeaDoo Challenger with a 240hp Merc, I used a small portable tank to mix up a "fogging" mix. I found it online somewhere, Mix the fuel (non ethanol) with twice (2X) the normal oil mix, I'm thinking it was 20-1, and stabil. Run this mixture thru for a few minutes, it smokes alot. That was it. Spray with WD40 or other protectant.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Mercury SportJet has a fairly lengthy winterization routine in the service manual. It is very important to change out the pump oil and stator oil. If you live in a cold climate like here in MN, water intrusion in those oils can cause serious damage.

It may not occur, and the oil may come out black/purple as the day it went in. But if milky, you will be glad you changed it.

If in a warmer climate, you will want to change those oils annually anyway to get good longevity of that pump. Normal fogging of the engine and stabilization of the fuel as noted above is required as well. The engine is self draining, so no antirfreeze is needed, but some will put a bit through the flush port to be sure.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The attached document is from my friends on the Seadoo Forum. I did not write it, but it is an excellent resource to the proper annual maintenance for the most common Mercury SportJets. Enjoy!

Attachments

Gary mickles

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
You gotta be kidding me. 39 pages of disassembled parts to change gear oil?
who does this at home?

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Most of the very good description is taken up with pictures.
Not that hard to do and should be done every year if you want your boat to last.

Gary mickles

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Yeah of you’re a Mercury tech with a shop lol

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not a merc tech and no shop. It takes maybe a hour to change the oil and lube in the gearbox.
Common tools and easy.
It is possible to remove the plugs for the outer support without removing the reverse bucket with an extension and a flex.
You get the extension for the lube to fill the housing.
It is really not that hard. I can do it at 72 years old in the driveway.
If you think it is beyond your capabilities you should take it to the dealer and have them do it