• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

About to build a fresh water shower; have some questions

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My better half has been nagging me to get a fresh water shower on the boat since we purchased it in November. I already have a pump thats practically brand new (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_527_527) and plan on getting a 20 gallon water tank (http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/459/20-gallon-marine-water-tank-39w). Im not sure of which shower head would be best, but what else is needed to make a system from scratch?

Im sure ill need some hose, Id also like to buy the Yamaha shower toggle switch (any idea what the part number is?) and maybe have a hose up in the bow as well.

Im wide open to any suggestions and creative criticism.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If your running a bow line, you want more pressure than the stock system Yamaha sells, and theirs is only a 10 gallon tank. One of our hawaii guys put in a nice system with multiple hoses. But he has not come to this forum yet. There is a variety of ways to do this. With a tank and multiple hoses, I suggest several places low in the system to drain the water completely, it would save having to add antifreeze. I know you don't freeze often, but it does still occasionally get that far south doesn't it? Also, you never know where you may go or just want to drain the nasty water occasionally, flush, drain again, and add fresh. Low point drainage would help with that.

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Im not too concerned about freezing down here; if it gets that cold, it isnt for long at all. What is required to add a drain in the system? When the water gets pumped out, is there usually a vent in the tank that allows air to displace it?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If the tank doesn't come with a hose and adaptor to fill it that knew more thing to consider,as well as where you will put it, in the 242 its in the clean out port compartment.

Bousbous55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The ves
Im not too concerned about freezing down here; if it gets that cold, it isnt for long at all. What is required to add a drain in the system? When the water gets pumped out, is there usually a vent in the tank that allows air to displace it?
the vent from the water tank is placed near the pee holes on the factory boats.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My better half has been nagging me to get a fresh water shower on the boat since we purchased it in November. I already have a pump thats practically brand new (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_527_527) and plan on getting a 20 gallon water tank (http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/459/20-gallon-marine-water-tank-39w). Im not sure of which shower head would be best, but what else is needed to make a system from scratch?

Im sure ill need some hose, Id also like to buy the Yamaha shower toggle switch (any idea what the part number is?) and maybe have a hose up in the bow as well.

Im wide open to any suggestions and creative criticism.
Here is a link, http://www.partspak.com/productcart/pc/viewdiagram.asp?aribrand=YAM&arian=Boat#/Yamaha/242_LIMITED_S_-_SXT1800GN_-_2014/SHOWER_PIPING/SXT1800GN_(2014_BOAT)/SHOWER_PIPING_(SXT1800GN_-_2014) to all the parts for a factory Yamaha shower system.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
poor mans shower, use a bug sprayer

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am adding a shower as well.

Are you using a pressure sensitive switch to turn the pump on and off? I am hoping to use one along with an on off switch located at the helm.

I am using a Scandvik 12106 shower head http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005IGTU2U

I added a stainless steel braided hose from a hardware store to the flexible rubber hose provided with the shower head. I still need to pick out a tank and pump.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You can vent it a number of ways. But even properly vented, I have read about troubles that guys have with the pump losing prime, and also unable to drain completely. Hence my recommendation for a low point drain. And again, freezing isn't the only reason you may want to drain it completely. But flushing may be adequate.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I will use a Flojet 03526 144A Water System Pump.

It has a built in check valve and pressure switch. It has good reviews. It is similar to but less expensive than the SHURFlo 2088-343-435 that @JWPrendergast is using. One advantage that I see to the Flojet is that it is designed to be used with drinking water. The SHURFlo is "Not listed for potable water use". Not sure if that means that it is not certified for drinking water use to that is will pollute the water.

Currently the FloJet 03526 is available for $46 with free shipping at http://www.zoro.com/i/G1155113/?category=5772

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That looks to be more than enough power at almost 3 GPM. The stock units are the size of about 2 D batteries end to end at is rated at .5 or 1 GPM. It makes 10 gallons seem like a lot of water.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can vent it a number of ways. But even properly vented, I have read about troubles that guys have with the pump losing prime, and also unable to drain completely. Hence my recommendation for a low point drain. And again, freezing isn't the only reason you may want to drain it completely. But flushing may be adequate.
You can install a flexible bladder instead of a rigid poly tank. The bladders don't need a vent and will conform to just about any space you cram them into, just like ballast sacks.

fabrizio

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
good morning guys, i am in process or choosing my first boat and i almost focused on the ar190 yamaha. my othr friend they suggested me that shower is a must,specially on salt water like where i am living, i understood that even in the ar190 i can install a shower.. now just to clarify myself..
how big can i put the tank? will yamaha install it for me?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
First of all, welcome aboard @fabrizio ! You may be able to install a shower tank in a 190, it is pretty roomy for a small boat but I honestly don't know how much storage space is available to you inside the compartments in that model. Most Yamaha dealers do installations of the Yamaha accessories, so if it will fit, they may be able to do that for you. We have many members here that do almost all of their own maintenance work on these boats, as well as all of their upgrades and modifications. You will find on this forum, that you have support and resources to be more knowledgable about your boat than even the dealer. Good luck on the purchase and welcome to jetboaters.net!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome @fabrizio
Post up your location in your profile, somebody might be able to refer you to a shop or dealer nearby that they had this done at.

Poke around in your boat and decide what area you want to give up for tank storage and measure it. That should give you an idea of how big the tank can be.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@fabrizio, I completed my shower install in June. I still need to write it up. I am sure that a shower will fit in a 192 the question is how big of a tank that you can fit and how much storage space will you lose. The install is fairly easy. It's just a tank, pump, switch, inlet, vent and spray head.

I was lucky that I was able to install the tank in otherwise unused space in the side of the engine compartment. I have never looked under the hood of a 190 but looking at pictures I believe that you would have to give up under seat storage for the tank.

I installed a 16 gallon tank. That is way more water than I need for my family. I would guess that 6 to 8 gallons would be enough.

Yamaha sells a shower kit for some models. I bet you could talk a dealer into installing it but labor is likely to be expensive.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
This might seem like a strange question. I have one on my boat stock and haven't even really considered using it. What do you guys use this for?

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use mine for getting sand/crud off your feet and washing down the swim platform. Ideally the pump would be stronger or the nozzle would be adjustable to get higher psi and less volume (mini pressure washer) to get crud out of the teak material - that would improve its usefulness.

Edit: I also use this to pacify children when they are "cold" as usually the water in the line and the tank is pretty warm since the tank is only 10gal and there is quite a long hose coming out of the tank where the water warms up pretty well.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We wash dishes and ourselves off with ours In addition to using it to rinse off the deck and/or seat cushions when they are hot. West marine sells a basic 4gpm kit for $140ish but it does not include the tank. Just take the measurements of the compartment you want to install the tank in and buy accordingly. The smallest was down pump I've seen at wet marine is 3gpm by comparison I estimate the stock unit is a .5gpm device.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Makes sense. I noticed how small it was and imagined low pressure to go along with the small tank so I guess that's most of the reason I didn't use it.