• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow valves on newer 1.8 boats

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tim, Are you talking about the tray between the cleanout plugs versus the entire cleanout plug tray? My 210 had a hatch between the two plugs that was accessible without screws or silicone. Cant remember if the 240 does.
My 240 has the lift up Oval cover in the tray between the clean out ports. I'm sure they all do. This cover also makes it easy to check your scupper on the 240 series.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks @Boat Crazy perhaps that is how he is accessing the valves. (I couldn't remember if our 240 had that or not.)

If so, its a great idea and we need pics Tim!

CTC386

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sooo, maybe this is a dumb question, but what are these used for?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Used for emergency towing situation or emergency single engine (for two engine boats) cruising. That second one is not a problem for the 190 obviously, but the other is for if you get towed in. The valve will block off water from hydrolocking your motor. It is debatable about how fast you have to go for that to happen, but better safe than sorry. I just carry two radiator hose clamps to manually block it if needed. The tow valve is a valve placed in-line so all you have to do is turn the valve to block water flow.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The new boats dont have access ports? If not these would be really easy to install for quick access.

View attachment 2318
My boat is new and I've only looked in there a couple of times but I believe there is one access port. If I can get to the valves from there it may be a good alternative since it definitely would be easier to install and not too hard to get to.

access port.jpg

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In addition to using them if a tow is required, I want the valves mainly to be able to flush my engines with fresh water while still sitting in salt water. I keep my boat at an "indoor marina" and when I bring it back to the dock the workers flush the engines after taking the boat out of the water--but I'm concerned that they may not do the flushing properly and may cause damage to the engines so I want to be able to flush the engines before it is taken out of the salt water.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Anyone with a 212 thats accessible confirm we have that access port, Mine is still wrapped up.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put the IR valves under the cleanout tray as well. I removed the gazilian screws and pulled the access hatch. It is certainly not comfortable to get your arm down there, but it was not too bad. Then I cleaned the old sealant and laid down a thin bead of new silicone to set the access hatch in. I put the gazillian screws back in and installed a clean bead of exposed sealant around the perimeter. To access the valves now, I just pop out the small oval access hatch in the middle of the tray and reach down in. Again, not the most comfortable, but even with my short fat arms, I can get down in there pretty easy.

I have only had to use them once, but was glad I had them when I did. What I like about this location is that the coolant lines remain straight and are not in a bind from trying to install a valve in too small of a section of hose, which it appeared would be the case if attempting to install them between the back of the motor and the bulkhead.

It took me about 1.5hrs to install.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Addicted thanks for clarifying. Initially I envisioned having to remove the whole tray to access. Sounds like that is only for,the initial install, then for use you use the hatch. I really like that idea.

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The new boats also have access to under the tray, just like the older boats. But the new ones only have a single, but larger opening port in the cleanout tray, the older ones are as pictured above with 2 screw in ports. You pull the entire tray, screws and all to install...then to access to shut off or open, you just pull the inspection port. Easy.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seems like this is a feature that will never be used, but it's nice to have if you need. So why not just use clamps and avoid disassembling anything? I have also heard guys towing fine with no clamps or valves just make sure the off engine or engines have the throttles pushed forward to open the gates so as not to create any back pressure.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@BigN8 I think it would be useful for someone who tows behind a houseboat often, but I use the radiator hose clamp plan. Simple, cheap and doesn't require cutting into a crucial line.

But compared to the normal location, I think the cleanout access port is a unique and smart place for them.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have done the houseboat thing twice with my boat. On both occasions I did not use my valves. I just opened the throttles up to full and made sure the wheel was straight. I towed all over Shasta with no problems. I believe houseboat speeds to be slow enough that you your fine. I have only used the valves once when needing to make a 10mi run on one engine. I am sure that the clamps would be fine, especially considering how infrequently you will need to use them. I just do not like to idea of clamping the rubber.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry all. I was offline taking pics!

Indeed, there is no silicon on the port on the tray.

20140315_121757.jpg

I put the valves down here:

20140315_121916.jpg

The other pic with the hole did not come out. ..

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is certainly not comfortable to get your arm down there, but it wTo access the valves now, I just pop out the small oval access hatch in the middle of the tray and reach down in. Again, not the most comfortable, but even with my short fat arms, I can get down in there pretty easy.
@Addicted So how far do you have to reach inside the access hatch to reach the valves?

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@tdonoughue It looks like from your picture that the valve is installed directly "forward" of the clean out valve casing?

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought the Island Racing valves but haven't installed them yet. I agree there isn't much space but what I want to do is run a hose extension from where I make the cut up (and down) the back of the rear bulkhead and have the valves installed in an easily accessible place so I don't have to bend down behind the hot engine to turn them on and off.
Be careful with this, that install would cause the engine to not be self draining. The intake screen in the jet pump is the lowest point in the cooling system, so all the water left in the motor drains out there when out of the water. Would probably be fine if your boat is never subjected to below freezing temps. but could also cause more corrosion with the water sitting in the motor. I thought of installing a valve like this

under the clean out tray and using a 12v switch to operate them.

CTC386

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Used for emergency towing situation or emergency single engine (for two engine boats) cruising. That second one is not a problem for the 190 obviously, but the other is for if you get towed in. The valve will block off water from hydrolocking your motor. It is debatable about how fast you have to go for that to happen, but better safe than sorry. I just carry two radiator hose clamps to manually block it if needed. The tow valve is a valve placed in-line so all you have to do is turn the valve to block water flow.

If the engine is not running and sucking water up, how would the engine hydro lock? Sorry, this is my first jet boat, coming from an I/O, so I'm trying to figure all this stuff out before I take ownership of the new boat.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@xoomer , yes that is right. Between there and the hole going to the engines, which is just out of view to the right in the pic. You can barely see this port one from the hole. I had to drop the phone in the hole to get this pic with a buddy phone providing light. ..